Failed Medic Watch

Naveed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi you might see a lot of people doing this, so i'm sorry if i cause undue boredom.

I have just done my first year in medicine, and I failed my end of year exam. I retook that exam yesterday and it was absolutely terrifying, I hold no hope of passing. If I don't pass, I will be asked to leave. So I have been thinking of alternative degree courses and economics sprang to mind because I did it for AS level (even full marks in micro!woo) and I've always had an interest in the subject since.

Here are my qualifications so far:

GCSE A*AAAA BBBBB C

A level: Maths:A, Physics:A, Chemistry:A, Gen Studies :p: :A, Economics (AS-level): A

Could anyone tell me if I have a shot at getting a place at a good university for economics? I was thinking along the lines of London, Durham, Nottingham, places like that? How much will my GCSEs let me down? Also, how will my application be viewed if I apply having already failed at Medicine? Finally, what kind of things would you recommend I do in order to make my application stronger, I have done numerous things at 6th form like CCF and such, would I need things like work experience?

Thanks in advance for your help, it will be very much appreciated. Its been a bad summer.

Naveed
fatyeung
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yes sure.

im sure the unis will be accepting u with no problems at all.
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Naveed)
Hi you might see a lot of people doing this, so i'm sorry if i cause undue boredom.

I have just done my first year in medicine, and I failed my end of year exam. I retook that exam yesterday and it was absolutely terrifying, I hold no hope of passing. If I don't pass, I will be asked to leave. So I have been thinking of alternative degree courses and economics sprang to mind because I did it for AS level (even full marks in micro!woo) and I've always had an interest in the subject since.

Here are my qualifications so far:

GCSE A*AAAA BBBBB C

A level: Maths:A, Physics:A, Chemistry:A, Gen Studies :p: :A, Economics (AS-level): A

Could anyone tell me if I have a shot at getting a place at a good university for economics? I was thinking along the lines of London, Durham, Nottingham, places like that? How much will my GCSEs let me down? Also, how will my application be viewed if I apply having already failed at Medicine? Finally, what kind of things would you recommend I do in order to make my application stronger, I have done numerous things at 6th form like CCF and such, would I need things like work experience?

Thanks in advance for your help, it will be very much appreciated. Its been a bad summer.

Naveed
You have a pretty good shot mate, don't worry about it. Not too sure how that Medicine thing will set you back, but you're fine in terms of GCSE/AS/A level grades.
iceman_jondoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
wow...first time i met someone with the same name as me !
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
One of my brothers is a failed dentist, with pretty much your grades. The unis you mention were quite happy to take him

He ended up doing a Meng at Manchester in Computer Engineering. Hes loving it now!

Med's not the be all and end all mate.
Russell_G
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yup - you'll be fine. you'll ave to write up a PS explaining what happened over the last year, but other than that you'll be fine in terms of grades etc.
Naveed
Rep:
?
Thanks for your replies. Can anyone recommend some economics-related books to read? Resit results come out on the 5th and i have way too much spare time!
Theorist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hopefully, this link might be of use.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=275639
receipt
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Would you really have to mention the whole Med issue? It's not exactly their business. LSE might reject you based on your GCSEs (if thats who you meant by 'London') but you should be fine with all the other universities .
Naveed
Rep:
?
Thanks for the link.

As for the whole med school issue, i'm not sure if i have to tell them but they might ask what i did in between getting my A level grades and applying (this year). Also, on ucas you have to enter any previous ucas applications on your form dont you? I'm not sure what to do. If i can get away with not mentioning it, that will be best because then it won't make me look bad. Anyway, I haven't failed medicine yet, can always hope!(and pray.. a lot..lol)
doctormbbs
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh well. Not enough thorough revision and too much alcohol and partying?!

I would say apply for Law.
st3456ee
Report 12 years ago
why apply for law? hes interested in economics. wanting and proffession in my eyes would come second to my interest in a subject.
st3456ee
Report 12 years ago
oh and naveed...can i ask why you had difficulty in your exams? is medicine what you expected? XXX
doctormbbs
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why not claim mitigating circumstances? Tell them someone died abroad.
Theorist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by doctormbbs)
That's sickening.
Grey
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Damn dude I wouldn't even stoop that low....

In any case I wish you well Naveed!
Jenii
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey, just read your post. Although your gardes are awseome, if I was an an admissions tutor (which to be fair, I'm not) I would be slightly worried about WHY you'd failed your first year of medicine.

Can I ask why??

You should put a good explanation on your P.S.
Anarchy Everywhere
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by doctormbbs)
Haha i love how people got on their moral high ground because of this. I would :yy:
doctormbbs
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tazmanmaniac)
Haha i love how people got on their moral high ground because of this. I would :yy:
Thank you!

End of the day... you have to do a little bit of lying, cheating and stealing to succeed.
Anarchy Everywhere
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A little? let's be honest the whole system of personal statements is very bad, it relies more on how much better bullsh*t you can write compared to the other candidates, fine your achievements are there to judge but all this crap about passion for subject is mainly utter crap. Just do what you have to aslong as it won't backfire.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (152)
27.29%
No (405)
72.71%

Watched Threads