*Rewards* for good grades?! Watch

FizzPopSpan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Extraordinarily, lots of my friends get rewards for their AS-levels in terms of money/other material goods. One perosn gets £50 per pass, another (slightly more academic) a new pair of jeans per A grade, another gets a car?

Anybody else get these marvy prizes?
Walker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I get 50 quid an A

I am dyslexic and have to work stupidly hard though but i can see why my parents do it - it works i revise none stop mainly because i want to get onto a degree course but also because i dotn have a job (got sacked) and dont get pocket money and never have.... its also in cheque form and my money goes into my nbank which i cant spend until i go to uni. (which i have to pay for anyway so its kind of not so OTT)
Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For my GCSEs I got like £120 I think. I was only expecting like £50 maybe, haha. :| Some of my friends got twice that though.
Don't know if I'll get anything this year, haven't seen my dad yet. My dad hardly ever gives me money though so he probably will.
sherunsaway
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
After I'd finished taking all my exams, when my mum was giving me a lift somewhere, I jokingly asked "can I have £100 if I get straight A's" and she replied in a serious manner "ok then". I don't think she recalls this conversation and I haven't mentioned it yet, but I wonder how she would react if I did ask.

I probably won't because I don't believe in bribes (even though she bribed my brother for his year 9 SATS results) and I don't really need incentives to work hard.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
some of my mates got like £20 per A grade at GCSE. I think i got a computer game or something for GCSEs and then maybe a PS2 game for my AS results. I doubt i'll get anything for A2s, uni should probably be the reward, and they'll have to fork out for a laptop n stuff soooo :yy:
timharvey
Report 12 years ago
i get a well done....
dragons_circle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Me too. I know of someone who for every A* at GCSE above 5 A*s she got, she got £1000.
outcast
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wouldn't expect anything off my parents, not even a "well done". The only motivation I had for doing well was an overwhelming desire to beat my brother, who ended up with AAAB. Unfortunately, I came in at AABB. I'm convinced that one paper has been poorly marked though so I'm sending it back for a remark. I'll be happy with a draw.
bobbiebuddha
Report 12 years ago
I get rewarded for each grade, but I know that I would have worked for them anyway, but it will be nice to have some spending money for next year; I intend to go to Singapore with it! The main reason for my parents choosing to do it, is so my brother works hard, once he sees that I've been rewarded for the hard work too! I think it is a good idea, if your parents can afford it. If I knew my parents couldn't, I wouldn't take the money.
ange de la nuit
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't get rewards, as incentives to work because my parents know that what I care about is doing the best of my ability. However, after my GCSEs they gave me a brand new laptop. You could say that sounds silly because I didn't have to work for it, it wasn't to encourage me because I didn't know about it, but really my results were just an excuse I think, because the computer I had been using was on its last legs!
darryl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My Dad said he would on like a scale

£250 for ABB
£500 for AAB
£1k for AAA

I got ABB - spent most of it already!
Ronove
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Last year (AS results) I think I got about £250, wasn't expecting it at all as my mother can hardly afford to give me that much money. Was very nice though. It might have been as much a reward for getting through the year though... I suffered from such horrific depression for at least 5 months of it, heh.

Today she gave me £450!!! I opened the card and shouted "Jesus Christ!" involuntarily. It was supposed to be £100 per A and £50 for my AEA (apparently - I had no idea she was going to give me anything before I felt the wad of notes through the envelope lol), and she gave me the lot because it was so close, hehe. I think it was mainly a way of stopping me worrying so much about the amount of money my gap year adventures will cost. Argentina's a little bit closer than it was before!
julius caesar
Report 12 years ago
i got a RADO

my mum has style!! haha
Sophistress
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, since I got the grades, they'll be supporting me financially at uni..
tortured
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Psh, I get jack all! :P I remember at GCSE level I got all A*-B's, and didn't get anything... and yet my friend who got Cs and Ds got like, £1000 or something.
Eternity Forever
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am not expecting anything from my parents for my GCSEs, maybe from relatives but definitely not from parents.
Rainy
Report 12 years ago
I got a new phone for my birthday which didn't happen to arrive through the post until after the GCSEs. Does that count?
sherunsaway
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My mum is making some home made apple pies for my results/birthday.

Does that count as a reward.
Sephrenia
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I get nothing, a pat on the back, and a meal of my choice...oh and or GCSEs I got a slab of chocolate with 'Congratulations' on it. Possibly a £5 from hte grandparents, but that is really it. No '£50 per A grade' or 'New jeans for each A grade' etc etc. I'm expected to work hard for my own rewards that I give myself, not what other people give me... Does make me really appreciate what I do get though...
julius caesar
Report 12 years ago
apple pie?????!!!!!!

i would happily trade in my watch for that sweet sweet...
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?