The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
generalebriety
I will be in a decent well-paid job when the people who failed won't be.

I'll probably end up flipping burgers and can guarantee that there will be thousands of people who go on to achieve great things (and high paying jobs) with either poor A-level results, or no A-levels at all. That's a pretty naive/ignorant statement.
i'm very suprised at some of this. i never got anything, except a fiver yesterday to go and get a curry :biggrin:
£5 for my results. Which I promptly spent on a nice bottle of wine. Oh well.
Reply 43
I got a laptop for GCSEs, but this year I'm just getting taken out for a celebratory meal with my friends as a reward! I actually probably prefer the second prize to the first... Even though I do love my laptop... :biggrin:
FizzPopSpan
Extraordinarily, lots of my friends get rewards for their AS-levels in terms of money/other material goods. One perosn gets £50 per pass, another (slightly more academic) a new pair of jeans per A grade, another gets a car?

Anybody else get these marvy prizes?

my reward for my results is that i have got into my first choice uni :smile: nothing tops that.
Reply 45
I was amazed this year, my gran gave me £50 and my mum gave me £50 too!

I wasn't expecting it in the slightest because normally I get a fiver to spend on chocolate, and a pat on the back. My family has never believed in paying kids to do well in exams, but apparently an exception was made this year.
outcast
I'll probably end up flipping burgers and can guarantee that there will be thousands of people who go on to achieve great things (and high paying jobs) with either poor A-level results, or no A-levels at all. That's a pretty naive/ignorant statement.

It wasn't meant to be entirely serious. The entire post wasn't really meant to be that serious.
Reply 47
I got a well done and a "i'm not getting you anything because you get stuff throughout the year" and i went to my friends house and she had champagne, and mum was like, "i dont really go in for that sort of thing". but like, a card or something wouldn't have gone amiss, i got 5 As and a merit on an AEA!
Reply 48
I got £200 from my parents, for my A Level results. :smile: It was introduced as a 'reward' (bribe! :P) for my brother, so he'd work harder... So of course they had to pay me as well! :biggrin:
Ahh... I got a card off my mum and brother today. :smile:
Well my mum gave me £10 today..which I spent on a book - nothing like a new book :biggrin: I spent the change on a bar of chocolate :biggrin:
Reply 51
I was given £100 for every C or above i got at AS yesterday... i got 3 A's lol i worked really hard though because i wanted good grades, i would have worked hard even if i wasn't told i would be given the money it was just like a reward for working so hard kind of thing! I got a few cards too, at GCSE i was given the same - £100 for every C or above but double award ones only counted for £100 still lol.
Reply 52
Oh it was my birthday yesterday too so that was a good day! lol
I think I got a CD after GCSEs, but I wouldn't dream of asking for anything now - the other day I worked out how much they've spent on my education (just school fees, excluding extras, music lessons etc), and it was a looot.

So yeh - and theyre about to shell out a whole load more money for me to go to uni, so I'm happy with that really!
Reply 54
my dad said "well done". My mum asked why id didnt get 4 A's..wtf?!:confused:
Reply 55
GCSES - I think I got a nice bit of cash as presents here and there, but not in a formal '£10s for an A' sort of way. Too far back to remember! But then again £10 was a lot of money back then!

AS - did badly - no rewards or even congratulations- didn't deserve it anyway

A2 - AAAB after a year of struggle
reward is getting into my top uni choice :biggrin: naturally
got some money from family but that was more 'set you up for this next chapter of your life' money than 'well done on getting those grades' money. That and a great sense of self satisfaction and smugness which I could have easily missed out on if a few of those marks had gone the other way

we did eat at the 'Emperor of China' though!!!!
you shouldnt get rewards for wanting to do well in life
I got a mobile phone before getting my results, I really don't see the logic in that unless they expected me to pay them back if I failed :eek:, but fortunately I didn't :smile:. I'm also going for a meal on Sunday, yay one of my favorite things in the world to do- eating :p:!
I got taken out to pizza express for GCSE/As/A levels, which was great as I love that place. My ex was given £1000 per A* then it went down in a sliding scale, he ended up geting £10,000!!! Id feel bad getting that much money from my parents for doing well at school, when Id work hard so I could go to uni anyway
At GCSE I got £10 per A* (worked out at £90 which I was heartily impressed with) This year for 4As, my mum bought me a set of towels to go to uni with. They're one of the Argos student deals, but quite nice, and practical too!
Someone I know got a car for getting 3As at AS level... :s-smilie: I was seethingly jealous.

Latest