Advice From YOUR Experiences... Watch

FaTcUtEcHeKiEz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Having completed your As/A level course, i would like to congratulate all of you and for those who felt that they had failed themselves....dont worry have faith in yourself.
there's a quote that says 'God will make a way where there seems to be no way'...

More to the point, many students like my self will be starting sixth form college come sept. and on behalf of them and myself i am asking for your advice and tips on how to pass .... no what i'm i talking about...how to achieve the highest possible grades in As/A level...

tips, advice and suggestings would be much appreciated.

next year i shall be taking As: Chemistry, Biology, Physics (all OCR) and AQA Mathematics....if any of you took these courses..suggestions from you will be much appreciated nevertheless advice from any former As/A pupil would be gladly accepted....

thanks in advance.
sherunsaway
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maths - endless past papers.
Chemistry - revise topics, go over markschemes to know what wording to use to get the marks when answering questions (there's only so many questions they can ask), some past papers but don't knock yourself out. Maybe go over them in your head instead of actually doing them. Don't muck up practical assessments (if they are in the course you're doing).
Biology - see chemistry. Make sure coursework is good because it can make a big difference to your final grade.
FaTcUtEcHeKiEz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by sherunsaway)
Maths - endless past papers.
Chemistry - revise topics, go over markschemes to know what wording to use to get the marks when answering questions (there's only so many questions they can ask), some past papers but don't knock yourself out. Maybe go over them in your head instead of actually doing them. Don't muck up practical assessments (if they are in the course you're doing).
Biology - see chemistry. Make sure coursework is good because it can make a big difference to your final grade.
Surely that cannot be all you did to get straight A's. you must have enormous brain power!
sherunsaway
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by FaTcUtEcHeKiEz)
Surely that cannot be all you did to get straight A's. you must have enormous brain power!
Well you've got to work hard throughout the year which seems fairly obvious.

But at the end of the day, it's when you come down to revising all the stuff that you did at the start of the year in the couple of months before the exams that you can make the biggest difference in your exam performance. In order to do well you need to go into the exams confident that everything has clicked in your mind and you know all the stuff that you might have done in september.

For the first two terms the most important thing is to just avoid being overwhelmed by all the stuff you have to learn because if you get on a downwards path, it can be hard to recover from.
Autumn Child
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
mark schemes are good as you can find out exactly what they want you to say :rolleyes:
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Autumn Child)
mark schemes are good as you can find out exactly what they want you to say :rolleyes:
This is the unfortunate mentality that is sending A-levels to the pits... If markschemes are mind-numbingly prescriptive, it's no wonder that more people are getting A grades...
discombobulation
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you're a few marks off a grade in ANY AS paper resit it.
I resat 3 modules, 2 German & 1 History. In one German paper I went from a D to an A and in the other I stayed at a B (still gained a few marks) and in the History I went from a C to an A and without these I would have had much worse A2 results.
I got AABC at AS and AAAB at A2 so it was really worth it cause I didn't have to revise or work that hard to get my A grades, the B was hard work but thats just cause my German is quite awful :P:

Sometimes people seem not to realise how important AS grades are when it comes to the final A level grade but to get the grades I needed for University I only needed DDU in my exams so it's really worth doing well at AS!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1366)
79.74%
Leave (347)
20.26%

Watched Threads