The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Computing 12th June 2014

How ready is everyone for this exam? Worried and relying controlled assessment grades or do you find the test easy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not ready at all, I have no idea how my controlled assessment went because my teacher says he's probably wrong because he's never marked it before. Do you know the difference between data handling software and the DBMS or are they the same thing?
Original post by tflanjee
Not ready at all, I have no idea how my controlled assessment went because my teacher says he's probably wrong because he's never marked it before. Do you know the difference between data handling software and the DBMS or are they the same thing?

They're different - data handling software is like the actual software that you use to construct a database: quoting the spec, it allows you to 'create (e.g. add/define tables, validations etc.), maintain (e.g. add new data etc.) and interrogate (e.g. run queries to extract information)' the database.
A DMBS is basically like the middle man; allowing many different applications to access the same database. It also provides security features like data integrity control and user access levels etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nikhilm
they're different - data handling software is like the actual software that you use to construct a database: Quoting the spec, it allows you to 'create (e.g. Add/define tables, validations etc.), maintain (e.g. Add new data etc.) and interrogate (e.g. Run queries to extract information)' the database.
A dmbs is basically like the middle man; allowing many different applications to access the same database. It also provides security features like data integrity control and user access levels etc.

thank you soooooo much! :d
Reply 4
Do we have to know things like general purpose operating systems and expert systems?
Reply 5
Has everyone doing computing had to do it all (including controlled assessment)? In my school we spent years 9 and 10 on I.C.T. and year 11 doing the whole computing exam.

Do we have to know things like general purpose operating systems and expert systems?

Looking at the specification and the OCR revision guide my teacher prepared, there is no mention of either of those things. I could be wrong but it doesn't look like there's anything on it.

Original post by EconStudent09
How ready is everyone for this exam? Worried and relying controlled assessment grades or do you find the test easy?

I've looked at some past papers and they seem alright-ish... But yeah, I think my controlled assessment grade will have to carry me. Thankfully I got an A* in it so I just have to not screw up in the exam.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
1. Any tips for the 6 mark questions.
2. What is an array?
3. What is the general layout for a report (Database)?
4. What is cache?
5. Off-the-Shelf v/s Proprietary software (ADs + DISADs)
6. Why is secondary storage used?
7. Logic Error??????
8. Solid State v/s Optical v/s Magnetic
Help me please, i have revised a bit, but i also have physics tomorrow so i am in trouble!!!!
Reply 7
I think nobody feels ready for this because there's just so many different definitions you can use for everything and the spec's quite vague. My controlled assessment mark was an A*, but my computing teacher has never marked it before and from the lack of anything I've learnt this year from him, I think the board are probably going to move it down.
Can anybody tell me the difference between proprietary software and off-the-shelf... not really sure how they are different from each other?
Reply 8
I think nobody feels ready for this because there's just so many different definitions you can use for everything and the spec's quite vague. My controlled assessment mark was an A*, but my computing teacher has never marked it before and from the lack of anything I've learnt this year from him, I think the board are probably going to move it down.
Can anybody tell me the difference between proprietary software and off-the-shelf... not really sure how they are different from each other?

You stole the words from my mouth! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by khand106
2. What is an array?
4. What is cache?
7. Logic Error??????
Help me please, i have revised a bit, but i also have physics tomorrow so i am in trouble!!!!

1. Six markers - try and develop answers but include at least three main points. (They'll usually ask for features so get in at least 4 features)
2. An array is a collection of variables all under one name that share the same data type. They can be referred to by their index. Eg in array(1) 1 is the index and will show you the data stored in the 1st part of the array.
3. It needs a date and title and one or more tables I thinks.
4. The cache is the memory very physically close to the CPU which stores data and instructions most frequently used by the CPU. It is the fastest of the memories.
5. Don't know
6. To store the outputs once they've been processed as it is non-volatile
7. When the program is written to do something which the programmer did not intend to do. As in, an error in a calculation or when something unexpected happens in a program.
8. Solid state is usb sticks etc, magnetic is hard drives and optical is CDs
Can someone please tell me if they think my answers are right/can add anything to them?

Off the shelf software is normally proprietary software, but proprietary software can also be custom written. Off the shelf is where its available in shops and many people have access to it whereas proprietary software is software developed and sold by a company (i.e. instead of being freely available), but doesnt have to be off the shelf, e.g. they could develop a program for an individual.
Original post by somegirlcalledea
off the shelf software is normally proprietary software, but proprietary software can also be custom written. Off the shelf is where its available in shops and many people have access to it whereas proprietary software is software developed and sold by a company (i.e. Instead of being freely available), but doesnt have to be off the shelf, e.g. They could develop a program for an individual.

thank you!!! :d:d:d:d
Reply 13
1. Six markers - try and develop answers but include at least three main points. (They'll usually ask for features so get in at least 4 features)
2. An array is a collection of variables all under one name that share the same data type. They can be referred to by their index. Eg in array(1) 1 is the index and will show you the data stored in the 1st part of the array.
3. It needs a date and title and one or more tables I thinks.
4. The cache is the memory very physically close to the CPU which stores data and instructions most frequently used by the CPU. It is the fastest of the memories.
5. Don't know
6. To store the outputs once they've been processed as it is non-volatile
7. When the program is written to do something which the programmer did not intend to do. As in, an error in a calculation or when something unexpected happens in a program.
8. Solid state is usb sticks etc, magnetic is hard drives and optical is CDs

thnx helped a lot
Reply 14
2. What is an array?
4. What is cache?
7. Logic Error??????

Yup, I've got Physics too. Highly recommend MyGCSEScience on YouTube. If you watch his P1 playlist at double speed you can revise all of it in under 2 hours.

1. For the 6-markers I recommend looking at past papers and their mark schemes online. It helps in the exam when you know what the examiner is thinking and looking for.
2. An array is a set of variables with the same name but a different index value. For example, "variablex(1)" and "variablex(2)" are two variables with the same name.
3. A Flat-File database is one table that contains all the data in a table. A relational database uses individual tables, called entities, to prevent redundancy.
4. The cache is where some data can be stored in between the memory and processor. When instructions are passed from the memory to processor, some is stored in the cache as well. Accessing the cache is very quick so the processor will look for instructions in the cache first to see if any more has been stored there. This is much faster than just having the RAM and CPU. (Memory and Processor)
5. Off-the-Shelf is commercial software, developed to be sold. Proprietary software just means that the developer has allowed others to use it, but not inspect the source code. This means you can have different versions of the same software (e.g. a "Student" and "Professional" version).
6. Secondary storage is not lost when the system is turned off. All of your files on your hard drive, Pen Drive, iPod... all secondary storage. RAM is different because everything loaded into RAM is lost when the system is switched off.
7. A program will display a logic error when, simply put, it's forced to do the impossible. For example, division by zero or use of a variable that hasn't been called yet.
Optical: Codes data using microscopic chips on the surface of the disc. These include, CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs.
Magnetic: Codes data using small changes in magnetic fields. These include floppy disks, a computer's internal hard disk and a portable hard disk (not a pendrive. One of those bigger "boxes".)
Solid State: Uses non-volatile (not lost when turned off) memory chips to store bits of data. Includes Flash drives (like pendrives or memory cards).

Hope I helped :wink:
Edit: Though it seems I've been beaten to it for a few of these :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
2. What is an array?
4. What is cache?
7. Logic Error??????
Help me please, i have revised a bit, but i also have physics tomorrow so i 10am in trouble!!!!

1. learn 6 markers from past exams is my bet.

2. a data structure/ collection of several variables under one name. Each individual variable is given an index by which its referred within the array.

3. not entirely sure.

4. The more the cache the CPU has, the less the CPU spends time accessing memory (ram) therefore programs run faster. Cache is faster than memory as it is built into the CPU and the fact that it contains frequently accessed data).

5. Off the shelf advantages- do not have to wait for production of it. Disadvantages- May have features you dont want. May not have features you want. May not be compatible with hardware of your PC.

Proprietary software advantages- (i dont know any) disadvantages- you are not allowed to modify software and can only be used in specific ways.

6. to store files. eg operating system. Must be non volatile (keeps all info when PC is turned off).

7. When program does something else the programmer didnt intend the program to do.

8. SSD AD- not damaged from movement, portable, high read/ write rate. DIS- expensive per gb, can get corrupted from certain files.

Optical AD- Cheap, portable DIS- limited space, could get lost.

Magnetic AD- relatively cheap per gb, high capacity DIS- not portable, can get damaged from movement.

These are the only things I know...best of chance for tomorrow:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Aggyyu
Yup, I've got Physics too. Highly recommend MyGCSEScience on YouTube. If you watch his P1 playlist at double speed you can revise all of it in under 2 hours.

1. For the 6-markers I recommend looking at past papers and their mark schemes online. It helps in the exam when you know what the examiner is thinking and looking for.
2. An array is a set of variables with the same name but a different index value. For example, "variablex(1)" and "variablex(2)" are two variables with the same name.
3. A Flat-File database is one table that contains all the data in a table. A relational database uses individual tables, called entities, to prevent redundancy.
4. The cache is where some data can be stored in between the memory and processor. When instructions are passed from the memory to processor, some is stored in the cache as well. Accessing the cache is very quick so the processor will look for instructions in the cache first to see if any more has been stored there. This is much faster than just having the RAM and CPU. (Memory and Processor)
5. Off-the-Shelf is commercial software, developed to be sold. Proprietary software just means that the developer has allowed others to use it, but not inspect the source code. This means you can have different versions of the same software (e.g. a "Student" and "Professional" version).
6. Secondary storage is not lost when the system is turned off. All of your files on your hard drive, Pen Drive, iPod... all secondary storage. RAM is different because everything loaded into RAM is lost when the system is switched off.
7. A program will display a logic error when, simply put, it's forced to do the impossible. For example, division by zero or use of a variable that hasn't been called yet.
Optical: Codes data using microscopic chips on the surface of the disc. These include, CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs.
Magnetic: Codes data using small changes in magnetic fields. These include floppy disks, a computer's internal hard disk and a portable hard disk (not a pendrive. One of those bigger "boxes".)
Solid State: Uses non-volatile (not lost when turned off) memory chips to store bits of data. Includes Flash drives (like pendrives or memory cards).

Hope I helped :wink:
Edit: Though it seems I've been beaten to it for a few of these :tongue:

Thnx ever so much, good luck tomorrow.
P.S I have already seen all the videos on MyGCSEScience but thnx anyway.
Reply 17
Thnx ever so much, good luck tomorrow.
P.S I have already seen all the videos on MyGCSEScience but thnx anyway.

No problem, you too :smile:
does anybody have the paper from june last year? or a link to it :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by somegirlcalledea
does anybody have the paper from june last year? or a link to it :smile:

you can get all papers from here:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-computing-j275-from-2012/

Quick Reply

Latest