The Student Room Group

Would you date a girl older than you?

I am in my early 20s but there is a girl I've come to like. I don't know her age for sure, but I suspect she is much older than me by a good few years. I'm still a student and will be for a few more years and she has already been working for a few years. I really like her but I'm being put off by the age - how does it work (I suspect at least 6 years age difference)?

If there is a girl who is older than you by a good few years, already working and you are still a student. Would you date her? How would you go about it? Given differences in interests and stuff :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I once dated a girl who was six years older than myself. So yes.
Definitely. Just approach it like any other woman.

If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. It's not the end of the world.
(edited 9 years ago)
As Gandalf once said ...

https://vine.co/v/Mpv23uYhiQE
:yep:
Hell yeah, so long as she's not unreasonably older. :h:
Reply 6
Yeah, don't see any reason not to.
Reply 7
My girlfriend is 5 years older than me. So yes. Student/working can be a bit more awkward in terms of wanting to go on more expensive holidays and things, but I imagine can also work.
Reply 8
My current and 2 past girlfriends were older than me. 3 years being the biggest gap.
Reply 9
Original post by Caedus
I once dated a girl who was six years older than myself. So yes.

How did the initial period go? Did you know her for a long time? I've heard stories of someone knowing someone working out.

Original post by Anonymous Coward
Definitely. Just approach it like any other woman.
Your age will have come out, as will hers, at some point.

If she's bothered by it, it's not the end of the world.

I've gotten involved with girls up to five years older than myself before.
One of them (who I really hit it off with) seemed more than okay with it early on (she was the one 'chasing' me), but seemed to become bothered by it before long. Even though I wasn't immature or really any different to her.

So do what comes naturally. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

None of us have mentioned our ages. But I think she looks younger than the age she most likely is, and I look older than my actual age. At the moment, I think we are guessing but I'm not really worried about ages. I'm just worried about preferences... since she is older and more financially independent. I don't know what I should do. I feel like such a schoolboy.

Original post by Slumpy
My girlfriend is 5 years older than me. So yes. Student/working can be a bit more awkward in terms of wanting to go on more expensive holidays and things, but I imagine can also work.

^^ That is what I'm worried about.

It is also that I know she is dedicated to her work. But I am also dedicated to mine. Her work calls her to different places and she must go if she gets a promotion. I'm a student so I am more fixed...

I really do like her... but before going too deep, I'm worried about expenses and how it will work -_-
Money can be a problem in these cases but otherwise heck yes. A bit of cougaring is great for any young man :wink:
Original post by I'veGotAHadron
As Gandalf once said ...

Having watched the LOTR movies, I don't remember that scene...
Reply 12
Yea why not. And, if she's working, you won't have to worry about paying for everything :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Having watched the LOTR movies, I don't remember that scene...

It's the scene in which Gandalf falls to into the abyss to fight the Balrog.

Original post by Anonymous
How did the initial period go? Did you know her for a long time? I've heard stories of someone knowing someone working out.

None of us have mentioned our ages. But I think she looks younger than the age she most likely is, and I look older than my actual age. At the moment, I think we are guessing but I'm not really worried about ages. I'm just worried about preferences... since she is older and more financially independent. I don't know what I should do. I feel like such a schoolboy.

^^ That is what I'm worried about.

It is also that I know she is dedicated to her work. But I am also dedicated to mine. Her work calls her to different places and she must go if she gets a promotion. I'm a student so I am more fixed...

I really do like her... but before going too deep, I'm worried about expenses and how it will work -_-

No. I didn't know her very well—we had met through a mutual friend. That being said, the relationship lasted only about four months. I was likely viewed as an immature party boy student at that time, whereas she was a professional. I think it was doomed to fail from the start. I have heard of success stories, however. So don't be put off!
yep...why not?
Original post by Caedus
It's the scene in which Gandalf falls to into the abyss to fight the Balrog.

No. I didn't know her very well—we had met through a mutual friend. That being said, the relationship lasted only about four months. I was likely viewed as an immature party boy student at that time, whereas she was a professional. I think it was doomed to fail from the start. I have heard of success stories, however. So don't be put off!

Thanks for the encouragement. Gonna give it a go :smile:
Loool. I would but only if she's 4 to 5 years older then me :colondollar:

There is nothing wrong with dating snow one older.

did you know girls are sexually active the most during there early 30s.
What if the girl is 9 years older? Heads over heels in this situation :redface:

Original post by Yahhia
Loool. I would but only if she's 4 to 5 years older then me :colondollar:

There is nothing wrong with dating snow one older.

did you know girls are sexually active the most during there early 30s.

how do i sex her?
sure, but not more than a few years older
I even feel that dating younger girls is a little weird sometimes - I feel like a paedo even if she's 18 and I'm 20 as strange as that is
Original post by I'veGotAHadron
As Gandalf once said ...

I don't even care is this post is a week old you made my day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending