The Student Room Group

Ofqual to AXE 24 GCSE and A Level subjects.

Ofqual have decided to axe 24 GCSE and A Level subjects such as Home Economics and engineering because they 'overlap' too much. Thoughts?
http://news.tes.co.uk/b/news/2014/06/03/ofqual-to-axe-24-gcse-amp-a-level-subjects.aspx
As someone who did an Electronics GCSE, I am quite surprised to see that dropped, on the basis of it "overlaps" with other subjects. There's a small bit of theory that comes up in Physics, but other than that it's quite a unique subject.
Reply 2
I wish I could do human biology instead of regular biology at A Level because frankly nitrification in the environment was not for me. It's sad that when young people know what they want to do as a career they won't be able to narrow their subject choices to suit that career.
Original post by andrew2209
As someone who did an Electronics GCSE, I am quite surprised to see that dropped, on the basis of it "overlaps" with other subjects. There's a small bit of theory that comes up in Physics, but other than that it's quite a unique subject.

Yes, but there is a great deal more overlap with Design and Technology: Electronic Products which is why it is going.

Likewise home economics is going in favour of Design and Technology: Food Technology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending