Getting a high first at LLB level Watch

DenningLJ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Afternoon everyone,

hope you've all had a good exams session.

I've finished my first year at University, and whilst I am pleased with getting marks in the 70s earlier in the year... I have heard stories of people getting the elusive 80+ marks in previous years.

Whilst I'd accept that this would be incredibly difficult to achieve, I was wondering if anyone on here has themselves scored a mark of 80+ at undergraduate level. If so, do you think that it is more technique/intelligence based, or can this be achieved purely by working very hard. Despite my grades, I feel that I hardly worked last year and I'm thinking of teaching myself equity and trusts over summer so that I can be ready for next year and hopefully stand a chance of getting 80 possibly?

Is this futile?

haha, hope you all have a nice summer

J
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Helmi
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good job on getting very good marks already! In my uni it was said that the staff would not award anything past 80% because of the sheer amount of paper work. Apparently, if the grade is 80+ it means that it must be reviewed by more people as the answers must be exceptional. I don't know if this is just a myth but it's what I have heard. Nor did anyone on my course ever get above 80%.

Equity & Trusts can be a tough topic, I know many struggled with it. Scott Atkins has written an amazing book for students to use, very straightforward and somehow easy to read. I would defnitely recommend it, especially if you're planning on doing 'independent study'!
Baronred
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DenningLJ)
Afternoon everyone,

I've finished my first year at University, and whilst I am pleased with getting marks in the 70s earlier in the year... I have heard stories of people getting the elusive 80+ marks in previous years.

Whilst I'd accept that this would be incredibly difficult to achieve, I was wondering if anyone on here has themselves scored a mark of 80+ at undergraduate level. If so, do you think that it is more technique/intelligence based, or can this be achieved purely by working very hard. Despite my grades, I feel that I hardly worked last year and I'm thinking of teaching myself equity and trusts over summer so that I can be ready for next year and hopefully stand a chance of getting 80 possibly?

Is this futile?

J
It really is all about the subject tutor, as some are more willing to give 80+ marks and some have set the ceiling in the 70s. At my uni there were only 2 tutors who had ever given 80+ in their subjects and they made it very clear how what they wanted in order to achieve that. If you have to chance ask your tutors to see what the highest mark they've ever given and you will find out whether they go above 70.

I received 80+ in one of my subjects but then he was very clear that if we followed his way of approaching questions and formatting then the 80 was possible (mind I think mine was the highest so not too sure if it was his first 80 or not). Friends also got 80+ for coursework in another subject, so it is totally dependent on the tutor
JessChappers01
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Helmi)
Good job on getting very good marks already! In my uni it was said that the staff would not award anything past 80% because of the sheer amount of paper work. Apparently, if the grade is 80+ it means that it must be reviewed by more people as the answers must be exceptional. I don't know if this is just a myth but it's what I have heard. Nor did anyone on my course ever get above 80%.

Equity & Trusts can be a tough topic, I know many struggled with it. Scott Atkins has written an amazing book for students to use, very straightforward and somehow easy to read. I would defnitely recommend it, especially if you're planning on doing 'independent study'!
Scott Atkins is my personal tutor and lecturer at university I'm please that you liked his book I will let him know when I'm back in September that it is receiving good reviews! I start my third year in September and I'll be doing equity, don't know how I will get along with the subject but I'm sure his book will help

Posted from TSR Mobile
leumas9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DenningLJ)
Afternoon everyone,

Is this futile?

J
I also queried about the elusive 80 at undergraduate. I spoke to my tutor about the grades at degree level and why it is that nobody seems to ever get above 75. She told me that when they are marking the papers/essays, the 80 mark is reserved for something which they believe would be publishable, in a law journal, in the state it is in, and that is why it is typically unheard of.
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by leumas9)
I also queried about the elusive 80 at undergraduate. I spoke to my tutor about the grades at degree level and why it is that nobody seems to ever get above 75. She told me that when they are marking the papers/essays, the 80 mark is reserved for something which they believe would be publishable, in a law journal, in the state it is in, and that is why it is typically unheard of.
It depends on the university. I got a number of 80+ marks at undergrad in written exams and essays, and none of those pieces of work were publishable, even with extensive revision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.96%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (246)
30.67%

Watched Threads