The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmmmm.... I went to one last year and we sat around and talked and drank stuff. It was a bit awkward but I did meet a few people I've seen since in Cambridge. It wasn't amazingly well attended.
Reply 2
Charlottie
Hmmmm.... I went to one last year and we sat around and talked and drank stuff. It was a bit awkward but I did meet a few people I've seen since in Cambridge. It wasn't amazingly well attended.

Ah. So I won't miss much by not going. Good good. :smile:
Reply 3
they sound a bit different eh? spose it's a good idea to meet some people who're going down to cambridge before you actually do. i'm the only person i know who's going so it sounds "useful".

but what're they like? they've asked for a load of info on me so do they like try and set you up with a prepackaged group of friends? and anyone going to the newcastle? so i can get to know people before going to the getting to know people partay...:p:
Reply 4
Have a few drinks, talk to some people randomly, ask what a-levels they did, where tehy went to school, why did tehy choose that college, comment on how you reckon you are going to fail your first year, mention how everyone seems really nice and no one seems like a genius except that guy in the corner who is boring some historian/english sudent with the theory he proved.
Do this about 5 or 6 times in the night, say see you in cambridge and inevitably don't unless they are at your college
I have not had any information about this thing. What is it?
Reply 6
Am I invited to the introduction-type party thingmy?
Reply 7
has not everyone heard about these? i got 2 letters about it. they said they were all around the country and said it was a chance for you to meet other freshers and current undergraduates from your area...
Reply 8
You'll get info about it soon enough, don't worry
Reply 9
Go if you want, but you don't really get anything out of it if you ask me....

You turn up, feeling all embarrassed at not knowing anyone. Then you pluck up the courage to join/start a conversation, where conversation usually involves stating your subject interests and what you know about the college you're going to. You then move on to fanticising about how cool it's going to be, and all the cool stuff you're going to do when you get there and recall all the cambridge related stories you've heard. You then make various promises to meet up with people again once you get there, and then you go home.

Then a month later, you go to cambridge, and find yourself doing all of that again but with a new bunch of people, before realising that actually you've got to do some work which distracts you from how wonderful you thought cambridge was going to be, and never see the other people you met at the meet again.

oh i'm such a pessimist.
Reply 10
They're totally totally naff. You'd be lucky if you meet anyone you'll even see again when you come to Cambridge.
When abouts are these parties?
Reply 12
Jigglypuff
When abouts are these parties?

various days next month
Thanks.
Meh, the one I went to was free entry, free booze and free buffet. How bad could it be?
Reply 15
I ended up going out with someone I met at one of those parties...
magicalsausage
Meh, the one I went to was free entry, free booze and free buffet. How bad could it be?

Tempting, tempting.
Reply 17
I think i'm going to go with my friend who has a place at the same college as me. Free buffet? Thats enough to convince me :smile:
Free booze/buffet? If one is close to me, I can't see why I wouldn't give it a popparoo
Reply 19
hmmmm i havent heard anything of these party thingies.....what does that mean? i havnt confirmed my place yet tho.....its in the post
lol

Latest

Trending

Trending