Turn on thread page Beta

Grade 8 Distinction and a U for my A2 recital! watch

ReputationRep:
    A bit miffed is an understatement.

I held an offer for an engineering course that specified AA in maths and physics, and a B in music. I'm musical and I should do well enough in maths and physics, I thought - and if I don't, I've got other bargaining tactics like mentioning further maths or AEA physics.

I got grades AACCb today - AA in maths and physics, and a C in music. Turns out I missed a B by 10 UMS marks. I looked more carefully at my A2 music modules, and saw:

6704 - Music 4 - Recital - 27/90 - U(u) UNCL

Shortly after I did my grade 8 (Trinity), I performed my A-level recital, and while it wasn't a performance of the same quality as the exam, it was still reasonably good and the staff were pleased. Apparently the Mozart 'twinkled'. And I went ungraded for it.

I also got
    6706 - Music 6 - Listening and Appreciation - 68/120 - D(d)
    which didn't help matters at all.

There are two possibilities:
    • I played really badly in the recital and didn't realise it, and the music staff didn't bother to tell me that it was a poor recording and give me a chance to re-record.
    • The recording was marked unfairly.
    The top one isn't unlikely, because the music staff hate me, and I hate them in return for various reasons. Whatever happened, if someone who got 86/100 when required to perform to grade 8 standard to an examiner then got 30/100 playing to grade 6 standard, something's gone seriously wrong.

Thank goodness the university overlooked it and I have my place confirmed, but this cost me my offer grades. Argh! Would you say an investigation is in order?

ReputationRep:
    just ask for it to be remarked, or put specifically on CV grade 8 DISCTINCTION blah blah blah (which happens to be the equivalent of half an alevel in UCAS points anyway, I think)

ReputationRep:
    What exam board was it? Edexcel by any chance? I'd definitely get it looked into. While, no, you might not have performed to grade 8 distinction standard on the day, but someone of that ability should, I would think, get better marks than you did.

ReputationRep:
    If it was Edexcel, I would definitley get it remarked. I know they had problems with the A2 performace marking this year.

ReputationRep:
    I too, am a bit miffed with my AS performing result. Although I got 77/90, my teacher gave me full marks and the solo I sent off to Edexcel to be marked was a Chopin nocturne and no slips whatsoever! So, why I can't get almost full marks for a flawless grade 8+ piece, I have no idea.

Also worried about the recital next year. I've chosen to do piano because, although I have grade 8 ABRSM violin with distinction, it is really much harder to do well because trying to get perfect intonation on a violin recording is nigh on impossible. I don't think Edexcel really give string players the credit they deserve and it's really annoying! Also, a recital is just meant to be a public performance of a variety of pieces, it is entirely different to a recording. I think either you should be allowed to do a non-recorded rectial, where an examiner comes to listen in the audience, or you should be allowed to record the pieces and if necessary be allowed to re-record them.

ReputationRep:
    same with me but with AS level, i got 70/90, when my piece was grade 8, flawless!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crankycaz)
    I too, am a bit miffed with my AS performing result. Although I got 77/90, my teacher gave me full marks and the solo I sent off to Edexcel to be marked was a Chopin nocturne and no slips whatsoever! So, why I can't get almost full marks for a flawless grade 8+ piece, I have no idea.

Also worried about the recital next year. I've chosen to do piano because, although I have grade 8 ABRSM violin with distinction, it is really much harder to do well because trying to get perfect intonation on a violin recording is nigh on impossible. I don't think Edexcel really give string players the credit they deserve and it's really annoying! Also, a recital is just meant to be a public performance of a variety of pieces, it is entirely different to a recording. I think either you should be allowed to do a non-recorded rectial, where an examiner comes to listen in the audience, or you should be allowed to record the pieces and if necessary be allowed to re-record them.
    Nice distinction between recording and a recital. Edexcel tried sending out examiners and it was a complete disaster - they simply cannot afford to recruit enough sufficiently qualified musicans, train them in the marking criteria and send them out to all the centres. recording is a better option but, as you say, they have to decide if they are marking a recorded performance or the recording is evidence of a live performance.

ReputationRep:
    AQA send out examiners for the A2 recitals, so it can be done. I wonder why Edexcel don't do this.

ReputationRep:
    Surely sending out examiners would be easier than faffing on with all this recording stuff and would sort out problems with blank cds they receive and all that. I would imagine most examiners would prefer to go and see recitals than have to sit and listen to them, however I may be wrong. I also just feel that if the examiner saw you perform, they would get a better idea of how much of a musician you are, i.e. interacting with the audience, which I think is often overlooked and can be more important than just being perfectly in tune. *sigh*

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.