The Student Room Group

CIMA grad scheme @ ftse 100/250 company v ACA @ Big 4

Afternoon all

Apologies if this has been asked to death before, but this is not just a thread simply asking 'what is better'.

I am keen to understand which route would be best for working my way up to a senior finance position within a company (preferably with a commercial/business partnering focus) such as a finance director/commercial finance director. I am not interested in being an external accountant/working in private practice. I have spoken to family members and done some searching and it seems that the 2 main routes would be:

1. Do 3-4 years at a big 4 firm and get your ACA and then move across

Apply for 'financial management' grad schemes at blue chip companies where you more often than not study for the CIMA qualification.

Does anyone here have any insight as to which of the above (or anything that I've missed out) would be best? To define 'best', I mean which route will give me the best experience in finance/accounting and best prepare me for a senior finance role (and, therefore, open the door to applying for such roles).

If you do think that the Big 4 option is the best, which grad schemes run by those firms would be the most suitable? I note that PwC, for example, have a number of different 'sectors'/schemes, most of which will involve studying for the ACA. Is it necessary to do 3-4 years of audit alone?

Also, if you think neither is particularly better than the other that would also be useful information, as well as if you can think of any other benefits e.g. salary and support to study towards the qualifications.

Many thanks
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Appreciate this isn't the most helpful of posts, but either of those options is likely to be a good start in the right direction.

Audit tends to be the most relevant background to the careers you're describing if you do opt for the big 4.

If you can find a very good financial management scheme, that may be a better option given you seem to be quite confident that is the sort of work you ultimately want to do.

ACA might be more useful than CIMA for landing FD roles, due to the emphasis on financial accounting (which is more relevant to the FC > FD route). However that's a "might", could make no difference, more dependant on the individual most likely.

Might be a good idea to apply for a wide variety and see what offers you get?
Reply 3
Agree with the poster above

A few additional points, speaking from someone doing a CIMA grad scheme at a ftse 100 sized company:

There is a wide variety of different qualifications at all level of management and senior management where I work.

However the most senior finance managers seem to be ACA qualified who usually step in as interim from long term big 4 positions and then secure full positions in industry.

At the same time, there are many junior ACA qualifieds: every single one of them has hated their audit experience and left as soon as their 3 years was up. Long, unsociable hours and demanding client facing roles and repetitive work were some of the comments I've heard.

My finance scheme on the other hand has been fairly challenging but 'nicer' - I'm on my sixth 6 month rotation across finance having experienced management accounting, treasury, financial accounting and internal audit roles so it's always been interesting and I've had a taster of what I'd like to do. The downside is on average you don't get the same amount of study leave as Big 4, and I usually study weekends/evenings.

CIMA is also going through a big syllabus change next year, which means computer tests and more flexibility. Apparently that is what employers want..

Salary wise, I started on 25k, which I believe was smack bang industry average at the time. Maybe similar/slightly higher at big 4?

Personally, I enjoyed my experience, but if I could go back I may have tried to grit my teeth and get through the big 4, just so I didn't limit myself and arm myself with a better understanding of financial accounting.

However CIMA is really good at teaching you to think strategically and more like a management consultant. If you want to be the one working alongside the business to help make key decisions, it's a really good qualification.

Whatever route you decide to take will put you on a great career trajectory, so it's just down to what you see yourself doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by M1011
Appreciate this isn't the most helpful of posts, but either of those options is likely to be a good start in the right direction.

Audit tends to be the most relevant background to the careers you're describing if you do opt for the big 4.

If you can find a very good financial management scheme, that may be a better option given you seem to be quite confident that is the sort of work you ultimately want to do.

ACA might be more useful than CIMA for landing FD roles, due to the emphasis on financial accounting (which is more relevant to the FC > FD route). However that's a "might", could make no difference, more dependant on the individual most likely.

Might be a good idea to apply for a wide variety and see what offers you get?

Original post by Pipsico
Agree with the poster above

A few additional points, speaking from someone doing a CIMA grad scheme at a ftse 100 sized company:

There is a wide variety of different qualifications at all level of management and senior management where I work.

However the most senior finance managers seem to be ACA qualified who usually step in as interim from long term big 4 positions and then secure full positions in industry.

At the same time, there are many junior ACA qualifieds: every single one of them has hated their audit experience and left as soon as their 3 years was up. Long, unsociable hours and demanding client facing roles and repetitive work were some of the comments I've heard.

My finance scheme on the other hand has been fairly challenging but 'nicer' - I'm on my sixth 6 month rotation across finance having experienced management accounting, treasury, financial accounting and internal audit roles so it's always been interesting and I've had a taster of what I'd like to do. The downside is on average you don't get the same amount of study leave as Big 4, and I usually study weekends/evenings.

CIMA is also going through a big syllabus change next year, which means computer tests and more flexibility. Apparently that is what employers want..

Salary wise, I started on 25k, which I believe was smack bang industry average at the time. Maybe similar/slightly higher at big 4?

Personally, I enjoyed my experience, but if I could go back I may have tried to grit my teeth and get through the big 4, just so I didn't limit myself and arm myself with a better understanding of financial accounting.

However CIMA is really good at teaching you to think strategically and more like a management consultant. If you want to be the one working alongside the business to help make key decisions, it's a really good qualification.

Whatever route you decide to take will put you on a great career trajectory, so it's just down to what you see yourself doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the long and considered posts chaps, most helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending