Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    ionic covalent bonds etc.

ReputationRep:
    Because compounds are 2 or more elements chemically bonded so to separate them you have to undo that bond and a chemical is released, I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaNick)
    be more specific, what type of compounds and what are you separating?
    In my CGP chemistry book it says "it is very difficult to separate the two original elements out again" So I don't know its being general

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaNick)
    I've emboldened the problem

I assume it just means that it is difficult to separate elements in compounds because there is strong electrostatic force between either the nuclei and the other ions' electrons (ionic) or in sharing electrons (covalent).
    Tnx, but actually compounds are not all ions like co2...I think

ReputationRep:
    Electrostatic force between the atoms. The more oppositely charged they are, the harder it is to break the bonds and seperate them.

(Oh, the good ol' days of GCSE .....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa)
    Electrostatic force between the atoms. The more oppositely charged they are, the harder it is to break the bonds and seperate them.

(Oh, the good ol' days of GCSE .....)
    But as I said before do all compounds have an ionic bond? Co2 thats doesnt have electrostatic forces between it, just bonds right??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcool)
    But as I said before do all compounds have an ionic bond? Co2 thats doesnt have electrostatic forces between it, just bonds right??
    Nope, not all compounds contain ionic bonding. It entirely depends on what compound, i.e. what elements and atoms are present. Ionic bonding is only one type of several bonds found between atoms.

You're right, CO2 doesn't have an ionic bond, it has a covalent bond instead. This means the carbon atom shares its outer electrons with two oxygen atoms it is bonded to.

There are technically electrostatic forces in a covalent bond (between the positive nuclei and the shared electrons) but electrostatic forces are usually used in the context of ionic bonding and not covalent, especially seeing as ionic bonding is a lot stronger.

ReputationRep:
    Ionic bonds = metal + non metal
    Covalent bonds = non metal + non metal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not all compounds contain ionic bonding. It entirely depends on what compound, i.e. what elements and atoms are present. Ionic bonding is only one type of several bonds found between atoms.

You're right, CO2 doesn't have an ionic bond, it has a covalent bond instead. This means the carbon atom shares its outer electrons with two oxygen atoms it is bonded to.

There are technically electrostatic forces in a covalent bond (between the positive nuclei and the shared electrons) but electrostatic forces are usually used in the context of ionic bonding and not covalent, especially seeing as ionic bonding is a lot stronger.
    Tanx that's really helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcool)
    Tanx that's really helpful
    Best of luck for your exam

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck for your exam
    Tanx! If you got any exams, G'luck too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcool)
    Tanx! If you got any exams, G'luck too
    Aha, I have. A-level chemistry Ironically lol

ReputationRep:
    Aha, I have. A-level chemistry Ironically lol
    A2 or As?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcool)
    A2 or As?
    Both. A2s and Resits for AS. Lol. Can't wait till it's all over.

If you're going to take chemistry at A-level, take a word of advice from me. Make sure you're on top of the work from day 1. That way you can avoid resits at all costs. They really hold you back

ReputationRep:
    Both. A2s and Resits for AS. Lol. Can't wait till it's all over.

If you're going to take chemistry at A-level, take a word of advice from me. Make sure you're on top of the work from day 1. That way you can avoid resits at all costs. They really hold you back
    I'm avoiding science COMPLETELY. I'm just so bad at it :/ Ah, you must be feeling so much pressure but remember to not just hook yourself on revision get loads of sleep before the exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcool)
    I'm avoiding science COMPLETELY. I'm just so bad at it :/ Ah, you must be feeling so much pressure but remember to not just hook yourself on revision get loads of sleep before the exams
    It's funny you say that. I have an exam tomorrow and have done NO Revision for it. I'm contemplating whether I should stay up revise or go to sleep lol

ReputationRep:
    It's funny you say that. I have an exam tomorrow and have done NO Revision for it. I'm contemplating whether I should stay up revise or go to sleep lol
    It depends if you DESPERATELY need to revise now. I'd suggest go to sleep but obvs its up to you...or go revise now until like 2ish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcool)
    It depends if you DESPERATELY need to revise now. I'd suggest go to sleep but obvs its up to you...or go revise now until like 2ish
    Yes I think i will do that. Thanks again good luck. Toodles

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think i will do that. Thanks again good luck. Toodles
    You too tanx

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.