The Student Room Group

AQA Mechanics (M1) Help :(

Hello

I'm stuck on question on this question and would really appreciate it if someone could help me:

The worlds record for the men's 100m sprint was 9.83s. Assume that the last 40m was run at a constant speed and that the acceleration during the first 60m was constant

a) calculate this speed
b) calculate the acceleration of the athlete
Speed is distance over time
So 100/9.83 give 10.17m/s
I dont know how to do part b though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Speed is distance over time
So 100/9.83 give 10.17m/s
I dont know how to do part b though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's what i thought, but the answers are:

a)16.3ms-1
b)2.21ms-2
Reply 3
Just use the constant acceleration equations
U=0
V=16.3
s=60
seriously havent done this for a year and i done edexcel but mechanics is universal.
Reply 4
Original post by kodlak
Just use the constant acceleration equations
U=0
V=16.3
s=60
seriously havent done this for a year and i done edexcel but mechanics is universal.

what equation did you use?
Reply 5
Original post by wihakaydah
what equation did you use?

V^2=u^2+2as
they need to be memorised, or at least in edexcel that had to be.
Reply 6
Original post by kodlak
V^2=u^2+2as
they need to be memorised, or at least in edexcel that had to be.

If the acceleration isn't given for the first 60m, how did you manage to calculate the speed?
Reply 7
If the acceleration isn't given for the first 60m, how did you manage to calculate the speed?

I really wish i could help you but ive gotta get on with my revision ill write it down and do it in a break or something and if i get an answer ill post back here.
Reply 8
Original post by kodlak
I really wish i could help you but ive gotta get on with my revision ill write it down and do it in a break or something and if i get an answer ill post back here.

Alright, thank you in advance. I really appreciate the help!
This is actually a far more complicated question that it might at first seem. The run consists of two parts: the first 60m with constant acceleration(a) and the last 40m at constant speed(v). The whole 100m takes 9.83 seconds. To solve this w)e need to split the time into the time for the first 60m(T, and the time for the last 40m(9.83-T). The sprinter has an initial speed of zero.

We have two unknowns we need to find, a and v, and the another unknown, which is the time for the first 60m(T) so we will need 3 simultaneous equations:

We know that the total distance travelled is a hundred and this equals:

100= 60(the first bit) + 40(the second bit)

1.the first bit= T(u+v)/2, and since u=0 ->60=Tv/2

2.the second bit = (9.83-T)v ->40=(9.83-T)v

3.and the acceleration is: a=v/T since u=0

Now, we need to rearrange the equations to eliminate T, which we don't want. part a) asks for v, and we can see that equations 1. and 2. contain T and V, but no a.

we can rearrange those and solve for v:

60=Tv/2 -> T=120/v

Sub in to 2.
40=(9.83-120/v)v -> 9.83v-120=40 -> v=160/9.83 ->v=16.2767... so 16.3 ms-1 to 3sf

Now we can solve for a,
a=v/T
and using 1. again, 60=Tv/2 -> T=120/v

Sub in:

a=v/(120/v) -> a=v^2/120 -> Plug in 16.3 -> a= 16.3^2/120 = 2.214... is 2.21 ms-2 to 3 sf

Could be a better explanation. Could be done with a speed-time graph, but idk if AQA do those. The key thing is splitting it into two bits with and realising that there's an unknown time for how long each bit lasts :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by _pirate_pete
This is actually a far more complicated question that it might at first seem. The run consists of two parts: the first 60m with constant acceleration(a) and the last 40m at constant speed(v). The whole 100m takes 9.83 seconds. To solve this w)e need to split the time into the time for the first 60m(T, and the time for the last 40m(9.83-T). The sprinter has an initial speed of zero.

We have two unknowns we need to find, a and v, and the another unknown, which is the time for the first 60m(T) so we will need 3 simultaneous equations:

We know that the total distance travelled is a hundred and this equals:

100= 60(the first bit) + 40(the second bit)

1.the first bit= T(u+v)/2, and since u=0 ->60=Tv/2

2.the second bit = (9.83-T)v ->40=(9.83-T)v

3.and the acceleration is: a=v/T since u=0

Now, we need to rearrange the equations to eliminate T, which we don't want. part a) asks for v, and we can see that equations 1. and 2. contain T and V, but no a.

we can rearrange those and solve for v:

60=Tv/2 -> T=120/v

Sub in to 2.
40=(9.83-120/v)v -> 9.83v-120=40 -> v=160/9.83 ->v=16.2767... so 16.3 ms-1 to 3sf

Now we can solve for a,
a=v/T
and using 1. again, 60=Tv/2 -> T=120/v

Sub in:

a=v/(120/v) -> a=v^2/120 -> Plug in 16.3 -> a= 16.3^2/120 = 2.214... is 2.21 ms-2 to 3 sf

Could be a better explanation. Could be done with a speed-time graph, but idk if AQA do those. The key thing is splitting it into two bits with and realising that there's an unknown time for how long each bit lasts :biggrin:

THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! IT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

However, i'm a bit confused by this one point:

"2.the second bit = (9.83-T)v ->40=(9.83-T)v "

have you assumed that u = 0, because the athlete is still running so their initial speed would be the speed calculated from the first 60m
THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! IT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

However, i'm a bit confused by this one point:

"2.the second bit = (9.83-T)v ->40=(9.83-T)v "

have you assumed that u = 0, because the athlete is still running so their initial speed would be the speed calculated from the first 60m

No, because he is at constant speed for those last 40m, we can use simple speed=distance/time

speed= V(the speed he has already reached)
time=9.83-T(the rest of the time, not including the time for the first 60m)
distance=40(this is given)

so d=s*t:

40=(9.83-T)*v
Reply 12
Oh, okay I understand! Thank you for clearing that up :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending