huffy23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hey all,
exam is tomorrow and am getting nervous was wondering which questions everyone doing this is going to be doing tomorrow?

also if anyone has any last minute advice they could give to help.
f_reckless
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How did it go? I didn't do it, but I heard it was a train-wreck of a paper. Can you remember the intrinsic equation (if you did Q3)? Seems to have caused a lot of trouble.
L0Z
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did the fp3 paper earlier and did Qs 1,2 and 5 thought they were all fairly manageable (or at least they seemed that way when I was doing them) hope everyone enjoyed their 90 minutes of fun! :/
sarahwaymouth
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did the FP3 exam this aft.
Q1 (vectors) seemed okay,
Q2 (multivariable calculus) was mostly alright, the approximation one caught me out a bit, and I didn't seem to get very nice number for the last part worth 8 marks,
Q4 (groups) was a fairly horrific question in comparison to past papers! So many cyclic groups and non-cyclic groups, seemed to take me forever!!

How did everyone else find it overall? Opinions on grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
piguy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sarahwaymouth)
Did the FP3 exam this aft.
Q1 (vectors) seemed okay,
Q2 (multivariable calculus) was mostly alright, the approximation one caught me out a bit, and I didn't seem to get very nice number for the last part worth 8 marks,
Q4 (groups) was a fairly horrific question in comparison to past papers! So many cyclic groups and non-cyclic groups, seemed to take me forever!!

How did everyone else find it overall? Opinions on grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I found the last half of the group theory question really long winded, was typing madly on my calculator.

I was so pleased that the Markov chains (Q5) used 3x3 matrices since it meant my standard Casio Calculator could manage to do them [I was prepared to do differential geometry otherwise] which saved me a lot of time (to waste on Q4) since it's always the easiest question of the paper.
miffy123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The intrinsic equation for Q3 was s=2ln(π/(π-3Ψ)). It was the most brutal exam paper i've ever seen for FP3. Q1 was okay except for the last part, Q3 and 4 however completely threw me... praying for low grade boundaries
Biologist0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That was unprecedented difficulty for Qs 3 and 4 - annoyingly dropped the factor of 3 early on which kyboshed the rest of the diff. geo. question. I reckon the grade boundaries will be nice - last year's paper was a walk in the park and was 66 for an A*, so this really ought to be lower.
sarahwaymouth
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by piguy)
Yeah I found the last half of the group theory question really long winded, was typing madly on my calculator.
Same, to find the non cyclic subgroups of orders 4 and 12! Having to put every element to the power of 3,4,6... Endless!

Posted from TSR Mobile
beccalongbutt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did Q's 1,2 and 3.
I found the vectors question alright, bar the last part (finding the volume of the tetrahedron). I knew the formula, but couldn't figure out AD so left my working at 1/6AD.(cross product of ABxAC). Anyone get an answer to that?
Multivariable calculus was a bit iffy in some parts but generally accessible; the approximation question really threw me. I put as much down as I could, but again couldn't it answer it fully (hoping I get at least one method mark).
The groups question was horrendous. It was the parts involving cyclic-non-cyclic subgroups etc. for so little marks that put me off. There must have been a simple way to find them as they wouldn't have offered so little, but I just couldn't see it?!
Personally, I think it was the toughest paper yet (having done all the past papers) but then again, people say that every year. What did everyone else think?
Kool_Panda
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To find the non-cyclic subgroups easier you needed to use the earlier ab thing. The order 12 was easier than the order 4. You knew from the earlier part that 11 was order 6 and you had all the powers, 11^2 etc., so that was 6 of the elements, a to a^6. b was self inverse and you knew from the earlier part that 19 was self inverse so 19 was b. from there you just do all the combinations of a and b to give you all the elements for the group of order 12 (+ the identity, 1).

For order 4 you know that it must be the identity and 3 elements of order 2 (or the a^3b thing). So 19 was also in this group as a^3. Then I had to type in my calculator all the elements of G^2 to find another self inverse element. Luckily I started with 89 so it only took one try. I made that b and found a^3b which I think was 79.

I didn't think the paper was so bad myself. I did 1, 4 and 5. I thought the vectors question was fairly straight forward but I messed up finding L so I've probably lost about 8 marks there(I managed to do the tetrahedron as it didn't require L). The groups question was a piece of cake for me but then again I just seem to get them for some reason. The Markov Chains question was quite straight forward though it I got a bit caught up in finding the new transition matrix but I got it in the end.

Overall I wouldn't say it was necessarily harder than past papers, 58/59 for an A I think. But you may beg to differ.
Kool_Panda
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by beccalongbutt)
I did Q's 1,2 and 3.
I found the vectors question alright, bar the last part (finding the volume of the tetrahedron). I knew the formula, but couldn't figure out AD so left my working at 1/6AD.(cross product of ABxAC). Anyone get an answer to that?
Multivariable calculus was a bit iffy in some parts but generally accessible; the approximation question really threw me. I put as much down as I could, but again couldn't it answer it fully (hoping I get at least one method mark).
The groups question was horrendous. It was the parts involving cyclic-non-cyclic subgroups etc. for so little marks that put me off. There must have been a simple way to find them as they wouldn't have offered so little, but I just couldn't see it?!
Personally, I think it was the toughest paper yet (having done all the past papers) but then again, people say that every year. What did everyone else think?
I got 310 for the tetrahedron I think.
beccalongbutt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kool_Panda)
To find the non-cyclic subgroups easier you needed to use the earlier ab thing. The order 12 was easier than the order 4. You knew from the earlier part that 11 was order 6 and you had all the powers, 11^2 etc., so that was 6 of the elements, a to a^6. b was self inverse and you knew from the earlier part that 19 was self inverse so 19 was b. from there you just do all the combinations of a and b to give you all the elements for the group of order 12 (+ the identity, 1).

For order 4 you know that it must be the identity and 3 elements of order 2 (or the a^3b thing). So 19 was also in this group as a^3. Then I had to type in my calculator all the elements of G^2 to find another self inverse element. Luckily I started with 89 so it only took one try. I made that b and found a^3b which I think was 79.

I didn't think the paper was so bad myself. I did 1, 4 and 5. I thought the vectors question was fairly straight forward but I messed up finding L so I've probably lost about 8 marks there(I managed to do the tetrahedron as it didn't require L). The groups question was a piece of cake for me but then again I just seem to get them for some reason. The Markov Chains question was quite straight forward though it I got a bit caught up in finding the new transition matrix but I got it in the end.

Overall I wouldn't say it was necessarily harder than past papers, 58/59 for an A I think. But you may beg to differ.
Thank you! The groups question was really bugging, that makes sense now though. (shame it's too late!)
Fionn_C_J
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For the vectors, you had to realise that AD was normal to the plane q, and you had the shortest distance from A to Q in an earlier part (i think it was 4 units). then AD=4*unit vector in direction AD. If that makes sense...
beccalongbutt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeah, I see where that comes from now. Damn!
Kool_Panda
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would anyone happen to have the paper to upload?
huffy23
Rep:
?
Vectors and multivariable calculus were both really easy but then i came across the differential geometry and brain just gave up. I completely forgot that the intrinsic equation can give you the arc length if you just put the values of psi into it. and had no idea how to get the surface area of revolution as it gave y in terms of x and then asked around the y axis, completely threw me.
huffy23
Rep:
?
(Original post by beccalongbutt)
I did Q's 1,2 and 3.
You previously had to work out the line AD and you knew d was on the plane Q so you could put e.g. (1+2lambda) in for x,y,z and get a value for lambda then put that pack into AD to get D.

The volume of the tetrahedron was an integer number but can't remember if it was 21 or if i got that for another answer but shouldn't have been too difficult to do if you were able to find D.
huffy23
Rep:
?
Also did anyone think that the last 8 marks for question 2 (multivariable calculus) way to easy for 8 marks. All i got were 3 equations in terms of x, y and z and solved them simultaneously to find the coordinates of the point of contact? seemed way too easy for 8 marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (43)
32.33%
No (68)
51.13%
Don't know (22)
16.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise