The Student Room Group

Veterinary medicine and zoology personal statment

I am planning to apply this October for 4 veterinary medicine courses and a 5th zoology course. Is it possible to submit 2 different personal statements because I can't see my veterinary medicine personal statement (stating why I want to be a vet) being particularly useful at getting me onto a zoology course as a back up plan? Any advice
Reply 1
Original post by JessM22
I am planning to apply this October for 4 veterinary medicine courses and a 5th zoology course. Is it possible to submit 2 different personal statements because I can't see my veterinary medicine personal statement (stating why I want to be a vet) being particularly useful at getting me onto a zoology course as a back up plan? Any advice

No you can't submit two personal statements, but it is still possible to get into zoology with a veterinary medicine person statement.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JessM22

Couple of questions to ask yourself...

1) If you really want to be a vet and you genuinely cannot see yourself do anything else why go out of your way to weaken your PS?

2) Why embark upon a career path that is significantly longer, more expensive, more competitive and possibly less enjoyable than simply taking a year out to strengthen your application and reapply?

3) If you have no intention of studying anything other than veterinary science why apply for Zoology at all?

Do not rush into university if you are not ready for it or if it is not a good career/life decision for you. There is no shame in taking a year out, resitting exams if necessary, getting more work experience, finishing your Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award, doing a bit of travelling, possibly earning some money and gaining "life experience".

Even with a 100% vet focused PS (and the relevant grades, work experience, etc) you would stand a very good chance of getting on a Zoology or some sort of science based course if you are that desperate to go to university next year.
I believe it is possible to do a separate individual non UCAS personal statement for Durham, though I'd don't know if you can read zoology there, which overrides the UCAS one for Durham only if you choose to do it that way. But I may be wrong - worth a look though. Back before dinosaurs roamed the earth, when I applied to vet school, it was expected to only put down 3 vet school choices and have the other 2 for something like zoology, otherwise they would think you were being unrealistic! Now, of course, you will need to have a vet only PS as you say above.
Most zoology courses understand they are a backup and accept you most of the time anyway I believe.

Quick Reply

Latest