The Student Room Group

some help with ODE equations.

hi i want to find the solution of this ODE:y''44y'+y=0 with the initial conditions y(0)=2,y'(0)=y''(0).

can you help me?
Another problem is:find the inital value yo so that the solution of the ode:
y'-y=1+3sinx, y(0)=yo can be: 1)bounded,2) periodic.

Also there is this problem that i need help with:
prove that there is 1 exactly f(x) continues for x>0 such that f(x)=1 + 1/x(integral from 1 to x)f(t)dt for every x>0 and find its equation.
Reply 1
Original post by ManosC
hi i want to find the solution of this ODE:y''44y'+y=0 with the initial conditions y(0)=2,y'(0)=y''(0).

can you help me?
Another problem is:find the inital value yo so that the solution of the ode:
y'-y=1+3sinx, y(0)=yo can be: 1)bounded,2) periodic.

Also there is this problem that i need help with:
prove that there is 1 exactly f(x) continues for x>0 such that f(x)=1 + 1/x(integral from 1 to x)f(t)dt for every x>0 and find its equation.

You have a typo making your first problem incomprehensible.

For your second, find the general solution and the next steps will not be difficult.

Could you use LaTeX for the third one?

Could you also give some indication of what you have done and where you got to?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
the 1st typo is the same our professor gave it to us.
Could you give more details on the second ?
Also with latex the equation of the third is :
Reply 3
Original post by ManosC
the 1st typo is the same our professor gave it to us.
Could you give more details on the second ?
Also with latex the equation of the third is :

It's not clear what your first question is meant to be!

If it's a linear ODE then presumably you have been taught a standard method for finding a general solution and then applying boundary conditions, so what are your thoughts on it so far?
Reply 4
Original post by davros
It's not clear what your first question is meant to be!

If it's a linear ODE then presumably you have been taught a standard method for finding a general solution and then applying boundary conditions, so what are your thoughts on it so far?

equation is y''44y'+5y=0

so:y''=-5y/44y'=>y''=-5y/(dy/dx),or 1/y''=-5*((dy/dx)/y)
or dx^2/dy^2=.....=>the equation becomes of separable variables using the conditions you solve it.Thats my thought but i dont know if its right(you get 2 constants and you use the conditions to find each of them=maybe).

lets say you cant assist me on this one.But i need help on the 2 others in case he put them in finals.thanks for any answers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ManosC
equation is y''44y'+5y=0

so:y''=-5y/44y'=>y''=-5y/(dy/dx),or 1/y''=-5*((dy/dx)/y)
or dx^2/dy^2=.....=>the equation becomes of separable variables using the conditions you solve it.Thats my thought but i dont know if its right(you get 2 constants and you use the conditions to find each of them=maybe).

lets say you cant assist me on this one.But i need help on the 2 others in case he put them in finals.thanks for any answers.

I still don't think number 1 makes sense! I'd expect there to be a '+' or a '-' immediately before the 44 - check this with your professor!

For number 2, as you've already been advised, start by finding the general solution to the equation you've been given using standard methods. Then think about the impact on putting a boundary condition on your solution and what you need to do to get the types of solution required.
Reply 6
Original post by davros
I still don't think number 1 makes sense! I'd expect there to be a '+' or a '-' immediately before the 44 - check this with your professor!

For number 2, as you've already been advised, start by finding the general solution to the equation you've been given using standard methods. Then think about the impact on putting a boundary condition on your solution and what you need to do to get the types of solution required.

lets say there is a + or - there.Then you have to find the solutions using the typo: a+-sqrt(a^2-4b)/2.But a^2-4b= 44^2-4*5=1916.sqrt(1916) doesnt belong to Z,its a decimal with infite digits.he wouldnt put it in an excercise.
Reply 7
Original post by ManosC
lets say there is a + or - there.Then you have to find the solutions using the typo: a+-sqrt(a^2-4b)/2.But a^2-4b= 44^2-4*5=1916.sqrt(1916) doesnt belong to Z,its a decimal with infite digits.he wouldnt put it in an excercise.

You need to take it up with your professor. I don't think anyone on TSR can guess what the question is supposed to be!

Quick Reply

Latest