The Student Room Group

Student finance? Appeals - loan after nhs bursary

I have a DipHE in nursing from 2011 which I received a bursary for, I worked for a couple years but was signed off for migraines from my night shifts, and I returned to my previous job.
I tried to apply to do a foundation degree with a student loan but was advised I couldn't receive it as I already have a level 5, but if the course I applied for was a level 6 it would be fine. So I've done that but now I've seen that actually the problem is i wouldn't receive finding until level 6, not I would receive it for the full course.

I'm now gutted... I've lost all faith in my previous job and definitely couldn't afford to pay for a course on my wages - but I have no chance of requalifying to improved prospects. Has anyone had any experience of this?
Original post by KahlanAmnell
I have a DipHE in nursing from 2011 which I received a bursary for, I worked for a couple years but was signed off for migraines from my night shifts, and I returned to my previous job.
I tried to apply to do a foundation degree with a student loan but was advised I couldn't receive it as I already have a level 5, but if the course I applied for was a level 6 it would be fine. So I've done that but now I've seen that actually the problem is i wouldn't receive finding until level 6, not I would receive it for the full course.

I'm now gutted... I've lost all faith in my previous job and definitely couldn't afford to pay for a course on my wages - but I have no chance of requalifying to improved prospects. Has anyone had any experience of this?

That is because SFE only finance you for one degree. Under the Equivalent Learning Rules, you already have level 5 which I assume took you two years to complete? Therefore you lose two years of funding from SFE.

I believe if you go part time, you won't have this issue. I didn't.
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply. I've applied as full time distance learning (OU) - should I drop a module do you think? Did you put your previous study on your application? The advisor last year said the problem was I'd been honest and put my qualification in my application where as if I hadn't I'd have been fine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending