The Student Room Group

software developer internships

Hey guys,

Needed some advice.

I recently started a software developer internship after finishing my second year at uni and needed some advice, as I dont know anyone in the trade thought Id post here.

Basically at uni I learnt Java, in this internship I have to use C# , I told them I had never used C# at the interview.

On day 1 I was given a task to write a program to convert XML to C# and then to update a database using lambda functions and LINQ. Basically what I never done before.

So I tried asking for help and support and seems that even full time developers dont fully know what to do.

I was wondering if this is how all software developer internships are?

Is there no training? I dont want to walk out and leave even though I am not learning anything.

I basically sit at my desk and google code and try it out for 9hrs per day.

Can anyone experienced in internships provide any advice or any programmers?

Is this what happens in industry? I have no mentor nor was I even told who to approach for advice I just kinda figured out that one by myself.

Thanks for your help
Reply 1
That sounds normal. I suppose the question is whether you enjoy looking up and experiencing something different to what you're used to.
Reply 2
no help, no guidance, no mentor

being tasked with something way over your head from day 1

normal? really?

what do you do for a living again?
Reply 3
Original post by xirokx
no help, no guidance, no mentor

being tasked with something way over your head from day 1

normal? really?

what do you do for a living again?

I work in IT in a bank. I have seen this kind of thing happen with various people at various levels of seniority. Whether it's using a programming language they have no experience in (I once had to code something in php as an intern and had to look up everything from scratch, and a few graduates had a similar situation with another language) or learning some internal process or covering the work of a former employee. Often I might ask around for help with some problem and find that no-one knows the answer, so I have to just put together some solution myself.

You'll find that you get problems/challenges like this later on in various forms. It's a good skill to be able to research unfamiliar things so definitely take the opportunity to practice.
Chances are it probably advertised the technologies you'd be using in the advert for the internship. C# isn't too hard to pick up, I'm currently on placement at a large software company and had to learn it from scratch it just takes a bit of research to get used to the language. I've enjoyed programming in it, it's very elegant if you've tried using lower level languages and you would understand.
It's not just for internships. I am a full time professional software developer, and I spend about 80% of my time Googling, too.

If someone on the team knows exactly how to do your job already, it will probably make more sense for them to just do it instead of teach you to do it.

Usually there's mentorship in things like learning high level architecture of the codebase or things like that, but no one will sit down with you to teach you a new language. They are getting paid way too much to do that, and you can learn a language just as fast following online tutorials.
Reply 6
thanks for your replies...

I totally do not expect to be spoon fed or pampered.

I am not put off by a challenge.

However you have to question how much you can learn like this? So far most of the program I have written has come from other developers.

It was suprising that even the senior developers had trouble coding some of my problems.

It would be better to have a mentor just so I know a) who to ask for help (At the mo asking everyone) b) for moral support and c) to review how I am getting on.

This is after all an internship not an actual developers role.

I was speaking to the other intern today, he had 3 weeks to learn C# I was like "lucky you"

Here I am working with 3 different languages I have never experienced I do feel its a bit OTT from management to lay it on me in my first week.

Lets see what happens...

Thanks
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
It's not just for internships. I am a full time professional software developer, and I spend about 80% of my time Googling, too.

If someone on the team knows exactly how to do your job already, it will probably make more sense for them to just do it instead of teach you to do it.

Usually there's mentorship in things like learning high level architecture of the codebase or things like that, but no one will sit down with you to teach you a new language. They are getting paid way too much to do that, and you can learn a language just as fast following online tutorials.

Good to know. :smile:
Reply 8
This does happen. We have some clients that will interview people out of university who have done java and very little C#. You are expected to pick it up.

What kind of firm do you work at? Most of our clients, being hedge funds, tend to be smaller and with a flatter structure so you have a more kind of family atmosphere and the boss will sit alongside you and personally mentor you. I think it's a much nicer way to work than in a huge firm with layers of management.

If you're interested, get in touch with me privately. I think my email is visible on my profile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending