The Student Room Group

Medicine Work Experience

I am wondering if I will even be considered for medicine with my subjects and work experience currently?
My GCSE grades were good (11 A*s) but at the beginning of college I didn't know I wanted to do medicine and so I took Chemistry, Biology, History and English Lit. Do you definitely need maths for medicine?
Also I have arranged a week at a hospital's orthopaedics department and a week in a care home but is that enough? Or does my part time job in Boots count haha?
Original post by sophielalala
I am wondering if I will even be considered for medicine with my subjects and work experience currently?
My GCSE grades were good (11 A*s) but at the beginning of college I didn't know I wanted to do medicine and so I took Chemistry, Biology, History and English Lit. Do you definitely need maths for medicine?
Also I have arranged a week at a hospital's orthopaedics department and a week in a care home but is that enough? Or does my part time job in Boots count haha?

You definitely need maths for Medicine. At least addition and subtraction, which are the requirements for a CCT in orthopaedic surgery. GCSE Maths will suffice otherwise.

It doesn't matter how much or how little work experience you get. What matters is how you demonstrate how your experiences changed your thought processes and what you got out of it. I don't really know what that means myself, but admissions tutors love it.

You would only need a B at GCSE maths and that's it. Try to find something you can do long-term, such as volunteering at the care home or the hospital. Apart from that you're good to go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Your choices are fine. :smile: Try and get some long term (e.g once a week for six months) volunteering in a caring environment. Volunteering with disabled people or vulnerable people also looks good. Try and do as much work experience as you can. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only did a weeks work exp at a hospital and a pharmacy a couple of years ago and got an offer this year. Just make sure you're able to demonstrate what you learnt and make sure to keep a diary for your experiences!
Reply 5
Ah okay, thanks :smile: Just need to get through the UKCAT now I guess!
Ive got a part time job at my GP surgery as a phlebotomist. I spend my spare time reading the pathology guide on the computer and am familiar with clinical computer programs. I obvs get lots of contact with patients and am well liked by staff and patients. Anything more I could do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hippysnake
You definitely need maths for Medicine. At least addition and subtraction, which are the requirements upper limits for a CCT in orthopaedic surgery. GCSE Maths will suffice otherwise.

Corrected.

Quick Reply

Latest