What if people could clone dinosaurs

Watch this thread
RedArrow
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Just imagine you waking up to the melody of a pterodactyl at 9 O clock and when you are all refreshed you take your glass of milk and enjoy the scene at your balcony only to see a brachiosaurus munching on some green leaves at the evil baboons disapproval and then you turn your head to 3 o' clock to see a couple of raptors jumping around like there is no tomorrow and then suddenly you hear t-Rex calling out like and then you realize it's the best dream you ever had

Posted from TSR Mobile
Masoudy
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Funny I have an exam tomorrow about practical molecular DNA cloning and reading about it right now. I know you're talking about the application of it but I would rather bore everyone with the science

It is very possible to do so, it can be done by cloning the DNA found in dinosaurs bones to an elephant uterus, through the magic of stem cells (which is widely criticised as unethical)

Or if people actually understand synthetic biology, they could build a breeding machine that you would chunk into it the DNA you want and it would automatically grow the animal you want

I would give it 15 years, though scientists in the 1990s thought we would only sequence the human genome in 2020, it got sequenced in 2001
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Dinosaurs still exist

Just in a different dimension
Mockery
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Chances are that we'll never be able to harvest or obtain primary samples of dinosaur DNA, as it simply just doesn't remain preserved for long enough in any naturally occuring conditions.

We could however reverse engineer a chicken. A lot of the DNA from a chicken's evolutionary past is preserved in it's genome as 'junk'. Switching on genes of interest can result in more dino-associated phenotypes. This as well is extremely limited in potential though.
RedArrow
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Masoudy)
Funny I have an exam tomorrow about practical molecular DNA cloning and reading about it right now. I know you're talking about the application of it but I would rather bore everyone with the science

It is very possible to do so, it can be done by cloning the DNA found in dinosaurs bones to an elephant uterus, through the magic of stem cells (which is widely criticised as unethical)

Or if people actually understand synthetic biology, they could build a breeding machine that you would chunk into it the DNA you want and it would automatically grow the animal you want

I would give it 15 years, though scientists in the 1990s thought we would only sequence the human genome in 2020, it got sequenced in 2001
Doesn't that mean if I die with my DNA well preserved I can be make a comeback? Maybe not as me but a person who is exactly like me with my thoughts and conscious?? That would be one hell of an invention.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Mockery)
Chances are that we'll never be able to harvest or obtain primary samples of dinosaur DNA, as it simply just doesn't remain preserved for long enough in any naturally occuring conditions.

We could however reverse engineer a chicken. A lot of the DNA from a chicken's evolutionary past is preserved in it's genome as 'junk'. Switching on genes of interest can result in more dino-associated phenotypes. This as well is extremely limited in potential though.
Paleontologists recently a uncovered a fossil of a little dinosaur whose remains were so well preserved that it was possible for them to deduce how that thing died. You are being too pessimistic IMO!
Masoudy
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RedArrow)
Doesn't that mean if I die with my DNA well preserved I can be make a comeback? Maybe not as me but a person who is exactly like me with my thoughts and conscious?? That would be one hell of an invention.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Paleontologists recently a uncovered a fossil of a little dinosaur whose remains were so well preserved that it was possible for them to deduce how that thing died. You are being too pessimistic IMO!
As some of my lecturers say, "this is scientifically unfeasible"

Unfortunately the environment determines your thoughts and consciousness as much as your genetics. Read about the nature vs nurture debate and studies done to identical twins: they have the exact same DNA but they think differently.
username1305705
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'd say...nope nope nope nope nope
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It'd make the world a lot more... interesting.
Truflais
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
It'd make the world a lot more... interesting.
It certainly would! I think they'd be very beneficial to society too.

Spoiler:
Show

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads