Marshiewoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all,

The title is rather misleading as it suggests I have an option, however I don't as I have now enrolled on an open degree, but could somebody tell me something.

I have just enrolled for an Open Degree BSc, and wish to eventually get employed in Web Development. Have I made a big mistake, by not choosing a named Degree like "Computing and IT" instead of "Open"?

Will this affect my employment prospects, even if I study the same modules that are in the Computing and IT Degree?

Thanks!!
muj121
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Marshiewoo)
Hi all,

The title is rather misleading as it suggests I have an option, however I don't as I have now enrolled on an open degree, but could somebody tell me something.

I have just enrolled for an Open Degree BSc, and wish to eventually get employed in Web Development. Have I made a big mistake, by not choosing a named Degree like "Computing and IT" instead of "Open"?

Will this affect my employment prospects, even if I study the same modules that are in the Computing and IT Degree?

Thanks!!
If your thinking of web development, then I think you should change to a named degree. Some employers may not understand what a Bsc 'Open' is. Don't worry, it should be easy to change to a named degree.
Marshiewoo
Rep:
?
Thanks for the suggestion, which one might you go for?
muj121
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the suggestion, which one might you go for?
Me? I'm going to be starting a Bsc Maths in October. I think you should do the Bsc Computing and IT and then select specific modules that are in web development later on in the degree.
Marshiewoo
Rep:
?
Thank you, I had a look at this option just before you mentioned it and definitely agree with you.

Many thanks and all the best with your studies!!!
muj121
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you, I had a look at this option just before you mentioned it and definitely agree with you.

Many thanks and all the best with your studies!!!
Thanks. There's a few people on here who are doing computing and it degrees. You could ask them about their experiences if you want.
Marshiewoo
Rep:
?
Thanks I certainly will, along with the reviews on the OU website
Persipan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Honestly, I don't think it makes a blind bit of difference so long as you go to the (very, very minor) trouble of including a brief explanatory note when applying for things.

I guess it comes down to what path you want to follow within the degree - if you definitely only want to do things that are available within the named degree, in a combination you want to do them in, then the named degree is likely to be a good choice. If, however, doing the named degree constrains your choices (i.e. if, say, you'd have to choose between two modules you really want to do, while having to do one you don't want/need), then the Open Degree may be the better choice. Personally, I'm doing an Open Degree because the combination of subjects I wanted to do wasn't available within a named degree.
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A title doesn't really make the foggiest of difference. Like the above poster said, you can make a small explanatory note

Remember a transcript is issued which shows what you've done!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads