The Student Room Group

Looking for similar idea course in a different university, need some ideas.

Hello everyone, I am a 17 year old and I've just finished my AS exams in Maths, Business Studies and Geography while also studying Double BTEC ICT as an extra equivalent of 2 subjects and I am looking at applying to uni with a hope of starting September 2015.
I am currently mainly interested in studying Computer Science and one course that has caught my eye is the one at St Andrews.
The main aspect I like about it is that in the 3rd and 4th year I would be able to study Video Games Programming as part of the course which would be very helpful to my goal of becoming a games programmer. The only problem is that I do not particularly like St Andrews as a potential place to live for 4 years.

So my main question is there courses in other unis that people know about that offer the same or similar course structure? I know about dedicated Games Programming courses and I instead would like to mainly focus on Computer Science.

One last thing, if possible I would prefer for it to be at least a top 25 ranked university as I am a fairly high achieving student.

Thanks in advance for any help
Reply 1
Have you considered doing a straight CS degree at any top 25 uni (I'm sure most of them will have some modules that will be related to games programming; graphics, for example) and just doing an internship or year in industry? It'll get you far more ahead than a few modules that will be out of date by the time you graduate anyway, plus the experience will help you after graduation, or you might even be able to secure a job offer before then.
Reply 2
Fair enough never thought of it like that and yes, a general CS course was the original plan before I saw the one at St Andrews. If its more beneficial to do a normal CS course with year in industry then I'll just do that, thanks
Reply 3
Also you may want to consider some universities which offer both Computer Science and Games Development as most of them offer the same generic first year so you can choose later down the line if you want to do CS or Games. Don't forget you could also go back to university and do a post graduate in games development if you wanted to (although you won't get student finance for this).

On a side note about St Andrews, I'm currently at a Grammar School Sixth Form (up there in the tables) and we were told its hard for English students to get into Scottish universities such as St Andrews unless you are an exceptional or extremely high achieving student, so not saying you wouldn't get an offer but just bear in mind to apply to plenty of English universities!
Reply 4
Thank you for the insight. I visited University of Derby yesterday and although it is not the highest rank of Unis I really liked the feel of the place and the Computer Games Programming course they offer seems perfect for me. I liked in particular that, like you've said, the first year is predominately the same as a regular computer science degree. On top of this, the further few years are also very similar but however focus on the game aspect. Therefore, I have decided that this will be one of 5 UCAS options.

In regards to the Scottish universities issue, I am looking at Glasgow as one of my options and I am visiting next week. The standard entry requirement for Computing Science here is AAB, so would you say I would possibly need at least A*AA maybe? I should also mention that I am doing a summer placement this summer at University of Northampton developing a Game for Cybersecurity training, so to what extent would this help my chances at Glasgow?
Reply 5
Original post by danny2997
Thank you for the insight. I visited University of Derby yesterday and although it is not the highest rank of Unis I really liked the feel of the place and the Computer Games Programming course they offer seems perfect for me. I liked in particular that, like you've said, the first year is predominately the same as a regular computer science degree. On top of this, the further few years are also very similar but however focus on the game aspect. Therefore, I have decided that this will be one of 5 UCAS options.

In regards to the Scottish universities issue, I am looking at Glasgow as one of my options and I am visiting next week. The standard entry requirement for Computing Science here is AAB, so would you say I would possibly need at least A*AA maybe? I should also mention that I am doing a summer placement this summer at University of Northampton developing a Game for Cybersecurity training, so to what extent would this help my chances at Glasgow?

Its sounds as if you've got a real interest in subject area, so that will put you in a good position. As for Glasgow, I would say AAA or above, of course it comes down to your personal statement and AS results. I would say apply for a Scottish one, there is no problem with that just make sure you have some good English backups as well.
Reply 6
Original post by ScottRH
Its sounds as if you've got a real interest in subject area, so that will put you in a good position. As for Glasgow, I would say AAA or above, of course it comes down to your personal statement and AS results. I would say apply for a Scottish one, there is no problem with that just make sure you have some good English backups as well.

I see, thanks for the help. I believe I should fairly comfortably achieve AAA as long as I keep my work rate high. I believe I'm capable of 1 or maybe even 2 A*s, but it might be a just too much of a stretch. I'll just have to see.

I am currently mainly interested in studying Computer Science and one course that has caught my eye is the one at St Andrews.
The main aspect I like about it is that in the 3rd and 4th year I would be able to study Video Games Programming as part of the course which would be very helpful to my goal of becoming a games programmer. The only problem is that I do not particularly like St Andrews as a potential place to live for 4 years.

Hi,

I am glad that you are interested in St Andrews (and especially the games parts of the course as I teach on these!). Have you visited us? You might like it more than you think.
Original post by ScottRH

On a side note about St Andrews, I'm currently at a Grammar School Sixth Form (up there in the tables) and we were told its hard for English students to get into Scottish universities such as St Andrews unless you are an exceptional or extremely high achieving student, so not saying you wouldn't get an offer but just bear in mind to apply to plenty of English universities!

I am somewhat dismayed to read this as we put a considerable amount of effort into ensuring that our admissions processes are fair and robust. I would be happy to speak directly with your school to alleviate any concerns.
Hello everyone, I am a 17 year old and I've just finished my AS exams in Maths, Business Studies and Geography while also studying Double BTEC ICT as an extra equivalent of 2 subjects and I am looking at applying to uni with a hope of starting September 2015.

So my main question is there courses in other unis that people know about that offer the same or similar course structure? I know about dedicated Games Programming courses and I instead would like to mainly focus on Computer Science.

One last thing, if possible I would prefer for it to be at least a top 25 ranked university as I am a fairly high achieving student.

Thanks in advance for any help

I just finished my first year out of four at Bristol Uni. In our third year the massive project worth 1/3 of the mark is to develop a game in a team. You can see the trailer of one of the games here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWkXj4vBfrk - I played it and it was awesome :biggrin: If you think it might be what you're looking for, feel free to ask me anything here or PM :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by St Andrews CompSci
Hi,

I am glad that you are interested in St Andrews (and especially the games parts of the course as I teach on these!). Have you visited us? You might like it more than you think.

I would but its just too far away, especially when I've already visited Glasgow university. I'm from the Midlands in England so it would take upwards of 4 hours by train or 7 or 8 hours by car.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending