The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Miss_Tiddly
Friends? *extends friendly paw*

Congratulations on all your uni offers, by the way! Just beware of black bogies when you get to London!

Absolutely!
Reply 61
I applied to Cambridge just to see how far I could make it through the process really, after going to various open days at all the uni's I'd applied to I started to realise that Cambridge wasn't really for me. My family were all dead dead keen for me to go there since nobody in my family has ever gone to a high ranking university before, so by the end of it I was almost hoping for a rejection so I would have a decent excuse for not going. Got the rejection on New Years eve, went out and had a good night.
even i say i was trying for medicene would a bad art gcse count?
plus are you allowed to include a gcse ur not happy with
Reply 64
you have to declare all qualifications.

if you mean 'medicine' then i doubt it. i got in with 10 GCSEs, one of which was a B.

although allegedly last year with the advent of BMAT they weight it so if your GCSEs are below their average you need a better score to be called to interview..HTH
Reply 65
i was absolutely gutted when i didn't get into oxford to do medicine, especially as for me oxbridge was always on the cards and everyone in my family for the previous 4 generations have gone there - i'm something like the 17th person in my family to apply there, and the first to get rejected! Oh well.

It was especially annoying as i got such good feedback, saying any other year my performance would have got me a place. Never mind, i'm off to UCL instead.
Reply 66
medic
i was absolutely gutted when i didn't get into oxford to do medicine, especially as for me oxbridge was always on the cards and everyone in my family for the previous 4 generations have gone there - i'm something like the 17th person in my family to apply there, and the first to get rejected! Oh well.

It was especially annoying as i got such good feedback, saying any other year my performance would have got me a place. Never mind, i'm off to UCL instead.

I was told that for Medicine Oxbridge isn't actually much better than the likes of UCL (in particular) as well as IC and UL, so it probably isn't much of a disaster.

From your feedback it's likely you were a good candidate, but they just didn't have enough places. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is with medicine.
Reply 67
bono
Indeed, there are always victims to the moronic decisions made in selection.

I wouldn't call them moronic - it's a grim job. I'm sure the rejecters don't enjoy it any more than the rejectees. The sad fact is that even with the most qualified of candidates if they have the choice between someone that came across as shy and overly nervous in the interview and someone that came across as confident and enthusiastic they'll pick the latter and can't imagine that anyone else in their shoes would do differently.
medic

aww thats rough to be the first to be rejected, i hope ur family dont keep reminding u about that, thats pretty unlucky when they say u would have got in another year too. hope u enjoy it at ucl instead!
Reply 69
When I recieved my rejection from Cambridge I was a bit upset and felt hard done by. But now that I look back on my interviews I cringe! Throughout the application process I kept thinking that I wouldn't get it, but I'd try just to find out. That was definatley the wrong frame of mind, pretty much set myself up for failure by not preparing. So I guess that's my advice to future applicants; don't just blag it and think that if you have talent they will spot it.. prepare as much as you can. :smile:
i got rejected from cambridge this year but i just look at it that things have worked out for the best anyway. i was disappointed at first because i had wanted to go there for a long time but it just makes u feel worse if u beat yourself up about it - there's nothing you can do about it so u just gotta move on and think about somewhere else instead. i was another person who was told that i was definite "oxbridge material" (whatever that is!) but like other people have said, everyone applying for oxbridge is capable of being there so just because you are too, doesnt mean you're going to get in, and if u do then thats a great bonus.

anyway i believe that if u dont get in, then its obviously not "meant to be", and i think thats worked out for me, as ive realised now that i actually prefer other courses to the one at cambridge, and so i'll probably be happier somewhere else anyway.
i hope it works out for every1 who didnt get into oxbridge (and for every1 who did of course!) and that they realise that they're probably better off without it anyway!
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
I'm a reverse case... I'm here at Oxford after having been rejected from my first-choice LSE. The rejection was the first UCAS decision I received, so it was a kind of wake-up call. The course had 27 applicants per place so I'd been telling myself that I barely stood a chance, but my subconscious was having none of it - I always believed I'd get in. Bugger. But having spent nearly two years in university, I've discovered that what makes university life good is how you lead it, and that doesn't really depend on where you go. At any university you'll have the chance to meet people who'll become amazing friends and do things you enjoy. However you feel about any one rejection, try to see the bigger picture: when you end up going to whichever alternative you choose, you'll love it.
Reply 72
Amrad
I've heard some mad stories as well...
head boy at one of the top 3 schools in the country who does just about everything, national debater, top grades etc - rejected.
one of the best historians in the country, the top school in the country is convinced he will get a place (guy is 18 and written a book) - rejected

it's mad sometimes you've just gotta accept that

Maybe he came across as being a stuck up little brat who didn't know what he was talking about in the interview.

One of my old bosses pointed out that there was an angle to the interview which I hadn't considered before; one of the main reasons for having an interview is so that some of the people who are going to be teaching you for the next three years can decide if they WANT to teach you for the next three years. If they decide that an over-achiever might be a little too much to bare... that's their perogative.

No one said the interview was going to necessarily portray the reality, but it's all they have to go on.
Reply 73
I'm actually glad I was rejected by Exeter College Oxford, because it seemed quite a small insular place. Imperial is right in the thick of things, and its physics course is better!
I wasn't really upset about rejection because when i first walked into interview the man had something like 30 applications on his table n said everyone of them is straight A's so don't be upset if you don't get an offer. So its a lottery more then anything.
that was for 4 places
Reply 76
fatboyslim
I wasn't really upset about rejection because when i first walked into interview the man had something like 30 applications on his table n said everyone of them is straight A's so don't be upset if you don't get an offer. So its a lottery more then anything.

So much for helping the candidates settle in!
Reply 77
edders
I'm actually glad I was rejected by Exeter College Oxford, because it seemed quite a small insular place. Imperial is right in the thick of things, and its physics course is better!

Are you studying physics? if so would you like to join the UKL Physics Society?
Reply 78
fatboyslim
that was for 4 places

could have been worse..
Reply 79
Some Universities have come out and said they do use a lottery system for oversubscribed places. They were highly critiscised for doing so, but what else can they do if everyone has equal grades.

To be honest I think it is shortsightedness that everyone goes on about Oxbridge - Of course the majority of their courses are more highly regarded than everywhere else but the actual learning and more importantly the overall experience you get may not be.

You will all laugh at the townies wearing NIKE or ROCKPORT emblazad across their striped hooded sweaters and I think the same of Oxbridge attendees.

I can honestly say this since I dont do that course but apparently Lancaster has one of the best Finance/Management etc.. courses in the country. This is further backed up by the awesome job one of my friends studying that course has just been offered.

So if your objective to go to Oxbridge is for cash then it may not always be the option. I can also say that there every university in the land will have the perfect living and social side to it for atleast one person. I cant fault the quality of life up here in Lancaster.

No id have never have gotten in Oxbridge - but i know people that did and they are having alot worse time than me at university. And if you are so bright anyway it doesnt matter if you dont get a degree from Lancaster cos you will be able to become rich cos of setting up your own business for instance.

Latest

Trending

Trending