Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssdav9)
    And if you are so bright anyway it doesnt matter if you dont get a degree from Lancaster cos you will be able to become rich cos of setting up your own business for instance.
    Yes well, not everyone is in it for the money they can get at the end of their course :rolleyes:
    I don't really see wealth as a measure of either brightness or the quality of a particular course.
    Oh, and I am almost certain that the student experience I have here in Oxford is not inferior in any way to Lancaster. Different, yes. Inferior, no. I can say this so confidently because I live there (Lancaster that is).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Are you studying physics? if so would you like to join the UKL Physics Society?
    Yes...
    I don't want to join any of these UKL societies really; I don't want to compromise my impartiality. Let me know if you have any interesting discussions though :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssdav9)
    No id have never have gotten in Oxbridge - but i know people that did and they are having alot worse time than me at university. And if you are so bright anyway it doesnt matter if you dont get a degree from Lancaster cos you will be able to become rich cos of setting up your own business for instance.
    Of course there is always the argument that education is an end unto itself. At the end of the day, you go to Camford for the high quality of the teaching, not for the lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faboba)
    Of course there is always the argument that education is an end unto itself. At the end of the day, you go to Camford for the high quality of the teaching, not for the lifestyle.
    This may have provoked a diversion from the thread but......a forum member who is at Oxbridge has said that the teaching is not always of the high standard it is perceived to be.

Surely the success of any educational establishment is down to quality of intake? Research suggests that teaching plays little part in this success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    a forum member who is at Oxbridge has said that the teaching is not always of the high standard it is perceived to be.
    Seconded!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    Seconded!
    Me too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Me too.
    Is it pants due to the academics being unable to empathise with undergraduates or something? Due to their own high levels of academic knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    This may have provoked a diversion from the thread but......a forum member who is at Oxbridge has said that the teaching is not always of the high standard it is perceived to be.

Surely the success of any educational establishment is down to quality of intake? Research suggests that teaching plays little part in this success.
    It shouldn't have to be 'though. You don't go there to get taught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Is it pants due to the academics being unable to empathise with undergraduates or something? Due to their own high levels of academic knowledge?
    I fell asleep in a supervision once because it was so boring Zzz

ReputationRep:
    Oh fine then, I conceed, You've now convinced me there's no point to it - I think I'll go to Lancaster instead then.

Are you forbidden to ask questions in a supervision? Of course its going to be boring if they just get on with what they think they're supposed to be telling you - this is true of any University because the people giving the lectures are human ( and humans, when pre-prepared, tend to be boring ).

Come on! You can't all hate it. Surely someone in the know can provide a legitimate counter-argument to 'ssdav'.

ReputationRep:
    And if you are really unlucky you might get a PhD student supervising you who can't do the problems and couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    Oh fine then, I conceed, You've now convinced me there's no point to it - I think I'll go to Lancaster instead then.

Are you forbidden to ask questions in a supervision? Of course its going to be boring if they just get on with what they think they're supposed to be telling you - this is true of any University because the people giving the lectures are human ( and humans, when pre-prepared, tend to be boring ).

Come on! You can't all hate it. Surely someone in the know can provide a legitimate counter-argument to 'ssdav'.
    As far as I can tell ssdav doesn't have an argument. No offense meant, but it's clearly just a personal opinion and one that very few people would even come close to agreeing with.

Tutorials / supervision may occasionally be boring but they're not as bit a feature of Oxbridge as you may think. For the humanities at least, 1/2 hours in the working week are spent on them - the rest of the time is what is most important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I fell asleep in a supervision once because it was so boring Zzz
    Lol, you're going to get that everywhere. Which module was that on? If you're really unlucky...go to LSE and you'll be getting phd students most of the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Lol, you're going to get that everywhere. Which module was that on? If you're really unlucky...go to LSE and you'll be getting phd students most of the time
    Fluids. The room was very warm and the supervisor spoke with one of those monotone voices. I couldn't help it - I just had to shut my eyes. Fortunately my mate noticed and distracted the supervisor long enough for him to kick me in the shin and wake me up. He swears that I was in dreamland for a good few minutes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Fluids. The room was very warm and the supervisor spoke with one of those monotone voices. I couldn't help it - I just had to shut my eyes. Fortunately my mate noticed and distracted the supervisor long enough for him to kick me in the shin and wake me up. He swears that I was in dreamland for a good few minutes!
    Fluid mechanics? Ah good for your mate. That supervision sounded like my old chemistry lessons...

ReputationRep:
    If your parents/family are utterly devastated about your rejection from whichever Oxbridge college you applied to then you can work hard at whatever uni you DO eventually end up at and then use their desperation as a basis for emotionally blackmailing them into funding an MPhil or a PhD when you graduate.

Envy the US & their Ivy League - Yale, Princeton, Harvard, Brown, UPenn....etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHilL)
    A friend of mine got rejected from Balliol... He demanded an explanation... they didnt give him any... but instead gave him an offer.

That doesn't sound TOO surprising to me. Did anyone see Jeanette Winterson's interview with Melvyn Bragg on The South Bank Show. The one who swears she harbours no ill will towards her apparrently, although she did insist on calling her Mrs Winterson throughuot the entire interview (methinks she may be telling a little fib)

Anyway Jeannette Winterson was desperate for a place at Oxford in the '70s. She went down to sit her entrance exam and took a written test.

She failed both.

When she received the letter informing her of this, she became enraged, took a train to Oxford from oop North and pleased with her original admissions tutors to take her in and that Oxford was what she had been working towards this goal for half her life. In the end these almost dumbstruck dons agreed and offered her a place conditional upon her receiving outstanding A'level results. I think they were stunned that someone would have the audacity to do that!

She got in.

Pretty cool though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratcat)
    That doesn't sound TOO surprising to me. Did anyone see Jeanette Winterson's interview with Melvyn Bragg on The South Bank Show. The one who swears she harbours no ill will towards her apparrently, although she did insist on calling her Mrs Winterson throughuot the entire interview (methinks she may be telling a little fib)

Anyway Jeannette Winterson was desperate for a place at Oxford in the '70s. She went down to sit her entrance exam and took a written test.

She failed both.

When she received the letter informing her of this, she became enraged, took a train to Oxford from oop North and pleased with her original admissions tutors to take her in and that Oxford was what she had been working towards this goal for half her life. In the end these almost dumbstruck dons agreed and offered her a place conditional upon her receiving outstanding A'level results. I think they were stunned that someone would have the audacity to do that!

She got in.

Pretty cool though!
    Cool, yeah. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that's better than just getting in on the first attempt.

It makes sense in a way though - if you are rejected because you seem a little too unsure of yourself in the interview and they don't think you will make a decisive contribution to the class ( which in theory is why they have the interviews - to put a face to the grades so to speak ) and then after rejection you turn round and take a bold and defiant stance it would make sense for them to decide they were wrong about you. Just an idea.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, yeah. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that's better than just getting in on the first attempt.

It makes sense in a way though - if you are rejected because you seem a little too unsure of yourself in the interview and they don't think you will make a decisive contribution to the class ( which in theory is why they have the interviews - to put a face to the grades so to speak ) and then after rejection you turn round and take a bold and defiant stance it would make sense for them to decide they were wrong about you. Just an idea.
    No, not so cool, upon sober reflection. It happened, after all, back in the 1960s. The sheer number of applicants may make your actions look totally outrageous and unacceptable to an admissions tutor. Still, you can't lose, as the friend of the person to whom I was responding descovered. They must have had a grudging admiration for his sheer determination.

*sigh* If only the turors at Christminster had been that enlightened in Jude the Obscure's day ;-)

Also, upon sober reflection, (doesn't happen often, so make the most of it) apologies for various errors in post - (note to sef, don't spend time on internet forums asfter you have consumed a bottle of cheap plonk)). When I referred to Mrs Winterson, I was referring to Jeannette Winterson's mother.

hth.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.