This discussion is closed.
lilac01
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Approximately how long should an exam essay be, if you have three essays to write in a three hour exam? I know there isn't an exact requirement, but more or less how many pages should you keep it between?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilac01)
Approximately how long should an exam essay be, if you have three essays to write in a three hour exam? I know there isn't an exact requirement, but more or less how many pages should you keep it between?
Depending on the subject, about 2-3 pages per essay subject.
sixthirtythree
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Depending on the subject, about 2-3 pages per essay subject.
I personally write about 3 and a half on average and for me this is an optimum number of pages. At most, this has gone over to 5 pages but I've known people to do about 8 pages in one hour! :confused:

Anyway, just remember it's quality not quantity
lilac01
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Thanks for the answers, much appreciated!
Werther
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by deianra)
I personally write about 3 and a half on average and for me this is an optimum number of pages. At most, this has gone over to 5 pages but I've known people to do about 8 pages in one hour! :confused:

Anyway, just remember it's quality not quantity
Surely this all depends on the size of someone's handwriting? A page-count is entirely useless, unless you know how many words per page.

I normally get 12-15 words on a line (my handwriting is PissPoor, with two capital Ps, but very thin - it looks like my father's put through a washing machine); I think I get around 350 words on a page. Generally I write 2 and 1/2 sides for an hour's essay, but it varies between 2 and 3 depending on thinking time.

Quality is always the deciding factor...
Tev
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In Business Studies we've been told to write around 4 sides for one essay. In average sized handwriting. You can get away with a lot less though, just look at the markscheme. For instance, don't wait till the end to start your evaluation, you can evaluate points as you make them.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For a 20 minute essay, 2 pages would be good.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (102)
48.8%
Take exams next summer (31)
14.83%
Change uni choice through clearing (51)
24.4%
Apply to uni next year instead (19)
9.09%
I'm not applying to university (6)
2.87%

Watched Threads

Latest