Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Approximately how long should an exam essay be, if you have three essays to write in a three hour exam? I know there isn't an exact requirement, but more or less how many pages should you keep it between?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilac01)
    Approximately how long should an exam essay be, if you have three essays to write in a three hour exam? I know there isn't an exact requirement, but more or less how many pages should you keep it between?
    Depending on the subject, about 2-3 pages per essay subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Depending on the subject, about 2-3 pages per essay subject.
    I personally write about 3 and a half on average and for me this is an optimum number of pages. At most, this has gone over to 5 pages but I've known people to do about 8 pages in one hour! :confused:

Anyway, just remember it's quality not quantity

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers, much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    I personally write about 3 and a half on average and for me this is an optimum number of pages. At most, this has gone over to 5 pages but I've known people to do about 8 pages in one hour! :confused:

Anyway, just remember it's quality not quantity
    Surely this all depends on the size of someone's handwriting? A page-count is entirely useless, unless you know how many words per page.

I normally get 12-15 words on a line (my handwriting is PissPoor, with two capital Ps, but very thin - it looks like my father's put through a washing machine); I think I get around 350 words on a page. Generally I write 2 and 1/2 sides for an hour's essay, but it varies between 2 and 3 depending on thinking time.

Quality is always the deciding factor...

ReputationRep:
    In Business Studies we've been told to write around 4 sides for one essay. In average sized handwriting. You can get away with a lot less though, just look at the markscheme. For instance, don't wait till the end to start your evaluation, you can evaluate points as you make them.

ReputationRep:
    For a 20 minute essay, 2 pages would be good.

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.