The Student Room Group

New Job, Trials and first months wage

Hi everyone,
Im in a bit of a mess which i'm not sure what to do about...

I currently work 30 hours in a job that pays me less than minimum wage (have just finished 2.5 years of an apprenticeship here),

I have an interview monday for a job up london which will pay me 75% more than what i am getting now,

If they offer me a work trial (paid/unpaid?! Not sure if i will be paid) and then they offer me the job...

What am i going to do about money? Because obviously the first month ill have no wages...at my current job i get paid weekly so i'd have £150 to last me a month, plus the work trial plus travel to get to London?

Am i getting confused or is there anything i can do (e.g some kind of benefits?)

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by badrobotthere
Hi everyone,
Im in a bit of a mess which i'm not sure what to do about...

I currently work 30 hours in a job that pays me less than minimum wage (have just finished 2.5 years of an apprenticeship here),

I have an interview monday for a job up london which will pay me 75% more than what i am getting now,

If they offer me a work trial (paid/unpaid?! Not sure if i will be paid) and then they offer me the job...

What am i going to do about money? Because obviously the first month ill have no wages...at my current job i get paid weekly so i'd have £150 to last me a month, plus the work trial plus travel to get to London?

Am i getting confused or is there anything i can do (e.g some kind of benefits?)

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't be eligible for benefits. If you explain your situation your new employer might advance you your first month's wages but that only delays the problem really. Do you have any family members you could borrow what you need from and then pay them back over a month or two?
Original post by Hedgeman49
You won't be eligible for benefits. If you explain your situation your new employer might advance you your first month's wages but that only delays the problem really. Do you have any family members you could borrow what you need from and then pay them back over a month or two?

I agree.
Your best bet would be to borrow some money from family or a friend to last you until you get paid. Then pay them back afterwards at some point.
I highly doubt you will be elegible for any benefits since you will be working etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending