The Student Room Group

Mother in tears after being called a 'slut' by two customers for breastfeeding her so

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
I'd much rather see a woman breastfeeding than hear the insufferable screaming of a hungry baby. As for the sight of it being damaging to children, the fact that being naked is seen as shameful is probably the root cause of most anxiety disorders including eating disorders. But then that's coming from a mentally stable girl who did the Naked Bike Ride in London last year.
it's completely rude but, as a girl, if i had a child one day, i'll go to somewhere private to breastfeeding. i feel sorry to her.:frown::frown:
Reply 362
Original post by JG1233
Yes?
There both natural parts of a human body, performing natural human functions, how can you be fine with one and not the other?

Most people wouldn't want to see a man get his penis out in public and thats apparently fair enough, someone says the same about a womans breast and your apparently being unreasonable.

If the woman got her breast out for no reason then it would be fair enough to find that disgusting or whatever. But in this case she was feeding a baby and it's illegal to shame women who breastfeed in public so I don''t see how it compares. Besides getting your penis out is seen as just as disgusting as getting your vagina out as far as I'm ware. A female breastfeeding a baby shouldn't be seen as an attack on males. It makes me feel uncomfortable too, but even so I have to admit that I'm being the unreasonable one.
Original post by HeyFromNY_USA
Oh no soppy pants, you're very angry. Beyond control apparently :rolleyes: It is very relevant, otherwise how can you find the time or words or energy to question it. If it's so much lunacy too much lunacy for your brain to wrap around why even pay attention to it. Is it that compelling? As I've said before...we're talking she was called a slut for showing her boobs. Same thing for people probably you looking down on people of color for showing THEIR boobs to do the same thing. Then you mention "different values than the people criticizing the woman in this situation." The people criticizing the woman in the situation are of the same background as people who criticize Africans, genius! Crusty tightwads who don't know what to do when they see breasts. :rolleyes: Pay attention. From her end, she shouldn't be insulted for having breasts, it's not like she was sucking on them herself. But from the complainers' end, they have every right to be offended. She knows it's a taboo thing to do, it's nervy to test people, and she should've made the milk before she went out. Why should she have to? Because it's not accepted, that's why. COMMON SENSE is why she should have to. It's not accepted for people to do lots of things, and someone straight in their mind won't do it. I am able to look at it from both perspectives. That's called rationality, friend. Try it some time.

Chip on your shoulder? Yep!:biggrin:
Original post by Meenglishnogood
im afraid the law ( both in england and scotland ) does not support your bigoted position and thats all that matters to me - all laws support my ( and i hope most of the right-minded people in britain) view of morality not yours ( your rep also reflects that too i suspect)

That paragraph, I think sums you up personally, we'll start with the accusation that I hold bigoted views, which you keep on repeating. Here's my first post, again, for your benefit:

Original post by geokinkladze
Being a parent is tiring, exhausting you are always on tap for your child's needs. Especially more so with babies, it is a consequence of being a member of the mammalian species. Breastfeeding adds one more straw to the camels back so to speak. If you think a woman shouldn't breastfeed in public, ask yourself why? Is it because you associate the breasts with sexual urges? How do Amazonian tribes get on? How about topless sunbathing? Honestly, the titillation loses it's appeal very quickly. If it is because you feel they "should be somewhere else" then that's fine but think on this.. other people don't have a problem, so now you could be wanting an individual to act solely on your behalf. Honestly they do you no harm, but that baby is benefiting from it's mothers devoted attention and most likely the nutrition is better too.

Live and let live is my creed. YMMV.

Where's the bigotry?

Clearly my bigoted views stem from your ignorance of the law (you first claimed a person telling a breastfeeding mother that they were uncomfortable with her breastfeeding was a criminal offence, then you claimed you never said it was). When I deigned to inform you of the law, only then did you claim I was bigoted.

In fact the most revealing thing in that statement is that you believe what you think is right and that other people are wrong (and presumably bigoted). This is in stark contrast to myself: I am always willing to live and let live. In fact I tend to surround myself with people who have opposing views to myself. It is the best way to avoid becoming someone like you, someone who believes your ideology is correct and any other views should be fought with a nightstick. We all know where that leads and I'm proud to say that the vast majority of people in this country would never allow your kind of thinking to prevail.

Then you said this...

So you can continue to mutter under your breath your disapproval of women breast feeding perhaps too of black people...sitting next to you on the bus

Now if you knew I was black, would you have still said that? Would you honestly think I had a problem sitting next to black people on the bus? My children, assuming they were also black.. would I have a problem sitting on the bus with them? Apparently yes...

Original post by geokinkladze
you don't even know what race I am yet you suggest I may be have a problem with Jews and black people.

what 'race' you are is irrelevant

:eek:
Original post by Shady778
especially to parents who don't want their kids exposed to that kind of stuff and asking questions that could effect them maybe in the future

Are you actually being serious right now?

I can't even.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending