The Student Room Group

Arithmeticae's Unofficial BL1HP Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

For the big 6 marker will you get marks for mentioning camouflage? I put this down as it does help them to survive, but it isn't specific to deserts.
Original post by Connorbwfc
For the big 6 marker will you get marks for mentioning camouflage? I put this down as it does help them to survive, but it isn't specific to deserts.

I'm not entirely sure as the question stated how are animals and plants are adapted to dry conditions and not how they are adapted to their surroundings. Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
Lol, I never read the questions for science.. :P I just skim them and answer them.

Looking at your answers, it seems as If i've done pretty good.

Anyway, you know for where they asked why is it important to keep the nest warm could you say something about how microorganisms work better in warm areas?

I just wrote some random bs.. xDD
Original post by Arithmeticae
Hey there guys. This is my attempt at creating a (hopefully correct) bank of solution for the GCSE AQA B1 paper sat by a lot of us today.

Just a couple of things to clarify:

I don't do requests. Don't bother wasting your time.
No one's saying these are 100% correct, they're just what I've seen to be true and what I thought was right. If there's any problems you can spot, feel free to quote me in on them
These are by no means the only correct answers. If you think there are alternative correct solutions, just quote me and I'll edit them in

Now we've got all that out of the way, here we go!

The Answers

How many marks was Question1 worth? Anyone know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CaitlinN15
How many marks was Question1 worth? Anyone know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

5 altogether, I think.
Original post by Arithmeticae
5 altogether, I think.

Okay- I only remember the biomass pyramid being 3 and I've messed that one up but I've got the other two right (well same as you) so I'm just looking to see how many marks I can get based on your answers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlphaNick
it was 2.

Was it? Ahhh I can't remember any of this exam hardly hah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
I said leaves in dry condition's have a large surface area :eek:, however everything else i said was right, will i only lose a mark, or more...
Is the highest mark for an A* they've previously done for all the triple sciences 45 marks? From what I've seen it looks it?
Original post by Yousf
I said leaves in dry condition's have a large surface area :eek:, however everything else i said was right, will i only lose a mark, or more...

I put something similar about leaves having a large surface area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Excuse Me!
Also why have people talked about adaptions to hot climates for the 6 marker? The question said dry conditions such as deserts. Just because they mentioned deserts doesn't mean talking about adaptions to heat is always relevant to dry conditions.

I might be wrong but that's how interpreted it.

Cheers for the mark scheme though

yeh same!! maybe the work desert put people off?? But yeh I am pretty sure it said dry...
thank you so much for this, I really appreciate it!!! Your memory is truly superb!!! Do you have a photographic memory?

Judging by this, I'm hoping for 100UMS (I think that it will be about 52 for 100UMS and 48 for A* - everyone at my school seemed to find it fine - apart from the Thalidomide questions which it seemed that if you hadn't revised it, 5 marks gone! - Hope this wasn't too many people here :tongue:)

I found B2 and B3 quite hard and I think I got about 85 UMS in each paper, and I know I got an A star in my ISA (but not the exact mark :frown:) so... hopefully an a star because I'm taking it next year.
No. Leaves in dry climates (if they even exist on plants - many of them don't have leaves) have small surface areas to reduce the rate of heat/water loss through transpiration.

I knew that straight after coming out of the exam hall. However, it is only 1-2 marks lost on that 6 mark question - I hope I get at least 4-5 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What I put (everything I remember):

Question 1.)

In order of size, from bottom: grass, sheep, human.

C - least number of stages meaning less energy was lost through faeces, respiration and movement. (Worth 3 marks?)

Question 2.)

Large surface area compared to volume/mass increases heat loss

Little/no fur so air doesn't get trapped and insulate the animal.

Plants have thin leaves to reduce water loss.

Plants have long roots to find water.

Animals have storage organs - camels for storing fat - and cactii store water in bulbous stems.

Question 3.)

The microorganisms use the dead plants and oxygen for respiration to create heat energy.

It is necassary to open the vents to allow oxygen in and carbon dioxide out and necessary to close them when it's cold, such as at night, to prevent heat loss.

You need both males and females for sexual reproduction, so t's important that there is an equal amount of both gender.

Question 4.)

Mumps, Rubella

80%

It would reduce the spread of disease in the general population (?).

Vaccinations contain dead or weakened pathogens.

Dead or weakened form of pathogen introduced to body and the white blood cells produce antibodies to destroy it. Some antibodies stay in the blood (?) so if the pathogen is reintroduced the WBC rapidly produce the antibodies to destroy the pathogen quickly. (I wrote this one really badly - it's hard to read - sorry, examiner :/)

Measles is caused by a virus and antibiotics only work on bacteria.

Resistant strains would develop to which antibiotics have no effect.

Question 5.)

Chemicals diffuse across the synapse, triggering the impulse along the motor neurone.

The toxin Curare slows down and makes the response less pronounced.

Stychnine makes the response faster (My mother says it makes it slower and she went to medical school so she's probably right :/).

Question 6.)

Legal drugs also have high dependency. Nicotine causes less dependency than only heroin and concaine.

Other factor: deaths caused by drugs.

Thalidomide treated insomnia.

It was found to relieve morning sickness.

Babies were born with deformed limbs.

It wasn't tested on pregnant women.

Drugs alter a person's body chemistry.

Question 7.)

Darwin:

variation

individuals with advantageous characteristics get more food

breed (successfully)

pass on genes (over generations, long trunk.

Lamarck suggests the Phioransbdjdbblah stretched its nose and eventually it became longer during its life. The characteristic was passed on to offspring.

Insufficient evidence AND Genes had not been discovered.

God created life.

Question 8.)

"Cut" gene from chromosome of Bacillus Thuringblahblah and transfer it to a chromosome in a maize plant using enzymes at an early stage of development.

GM is good (opinion doesn't matter).

Advantages: Resistant to harmful insects. Cheaper than growing bacteria, collecting and spraying (?)

Disadvantages: Harms useful insects. Gene could be accidentally introduced to wild populations. Could have adverse effects on humans or cause allergies.

(edited 9 years ago)
What sort of UMS marks would you have to get to get an A*?
No. Leaves in dry climates (if they even exist on plants - many of them don't have leaves) have small surface areas to reduce the rate of heat/water loss through transpiration.

I agree with this - I wrote that cacti have spines rather than large fleshy leaves to reduce transpiration.

But AlphaNick - you seem intent on ripping everyone else apart!! You seem to be very highly intelligent, but some other people may have found the exams a little difficult, and it does nothing to their self esteem if you come on here declaring how easy it was!!! Just a gripe :wink:

how did you find your other exams btw???
Original post by ireallydontknow7
What sort of UMS marks would you have to get to get an A*?

always 90% ums which would be about 52/51/50 on this paper i reckon, although it was harder than in recent years
Original post by kaiwid23
What I put (everything I remember):

[*]Stychnine makes the response faster (My mother says it makes it slower and she went to medical school so she's probably right :/)

Strychnine is poisonous, which is what really threw me :/
Original post by GCSEmoron
always 90% ums which would be about 52/51/50 on this paper i reckon, although it was harder than in recent years

Okay thankyou!:smile:
Original post by ireallydontknow7
Okay thankyou!:smile:

no worries - how did you find the paper?

Quick Reply

Latest