Why isn't the Queen clapping the D-Day veterans? WTF!?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
She isn't clapping when prompted, I think it's disgusting. Before anyone mentions protocol, well the protocol is **** and she should either have it changed or ignore it..

Other Heads of State and Government are clapping liberally, Obama, Putin, Hollande etc. but the Queen just sits there stone faced.

Could someone confirm to me if such a protocol is in place?
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
She isn't obliged to?
Why do you care?
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You leave the queen alone! She's a saint!
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Both she and her husband are veterans. It would be seen by some as ridiculously self serving to applaud oneself.
Welsh Bluebird
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Both she and her husband are veterans. It would be seen by some as ridiculously self serving to applaud oneself.
Spot on. She's done more for this country than any of the scum bags in Westminster and we'd probably be a stronger more powerful nation with a better quality of life if the monarch actually ruled as opposed to a pathetic political elite.
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What a pathetic thing to get worked up about.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Neither the Queen nor Philip were at D-Day. It is widely regarded that those who landed on D-Day faced some of the most horrendous conditions of the war, the casualty rate was catastrophic.

Are you suggesting either that the conditions the Queen faced are comparable to those on D-Day!? or that, because she is a veteran, that precludes her from clapping!? I have seen plenty, plenty, of veterans applauding and congratulating other veterans.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 122025278)
Neither the Queen nor Philip were at D-Day. It is widely regarded that those who landed on D-Day faced some of the most horrendous conditions of the war, the casualty rate was catastrophic.

Are you suggesting either that the conditions the Queen faced are comparable to those on D-Day!? or that, because she is a veteran, that precludes her from clapping!? I have seen plenty, plenty, of veterans applauding and congratulating other veterans.
How does that make any sense whatsoever? The only 'real' veterans are those that fought on D-Day? I think those in the Blitz would like a word with you.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

My point is that crazed individuals like yourself will always get worked up about something (and usually that means precisely sod all in the grand scheme of things, like this) and this is one of those things. If she had, she'd have been lambasted by some for applauding herself, if she doesn't, she's accused by some other idiots for not showing respect. Impossible to win with people like you around.

Fact is, if you watched the occasion, she was at her happiest when she was actually talking to the veterans. people her age, with a shared history. Applauding during random points during a choreographed show matter not. Her warmth and affection for the veterans is real and that's what matters.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is interesting how certain people lambast the monarchy for being pointless ceremony, and yet seem to go ape when the ceremonies that matter to them don't go how they expected
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the queen is just a dreary, grey old woman - she's been raised in an environment where clapping is "beneath" her, and peasant-like. what do you expect when the state has nestled a spoilt lifestyle for her?
Jacob-C
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well by your logic then we would not be commentating those men and women who participated in aerial reconnaissance missions prior to D-Day, which gave the troops on the ground a clear picture of what they would face on the day and aided in preparation. Just because someone did not make the ultimate sacrifice does not mean we should not be honouring them, for their actions may have saved the lives of many.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep she was there in the trenches....

Maybe it's because she's a parasite who wouldn't bow to a bunch of commoners if her life depended on it. Half the family were a buch of fascists...
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Yep she was there in the trenches....

Maybe it's because she's a parasite who wouldn't bow to a bunch of commoners if her life depended on it. Half the family were a buch of fascists...
Ah, reasoned debate! :rolleyes:

Aside from the fact that there were no trenches on the Normandy beaches, what exactly is your point? As the poster above pointed out, amazingly there were other roles that happened that directly contributed to the many many many actions that took throughout the entirety of the war. Philip was involved in the Invasion of Sicily, lessons learned from which were then used in the consequent invasion of France. But I guess that was also completely without merit and pointless to mention?

Let's not forget the simple fact that, as Queen, every event she ever attends will involve lots of applause. If she'd clapped her hardest everywhere she went her wrists would have fallen off 30 years ago.

But no, let's of course focus on the fact that, despite never having met her nor any of her family, you simply don't like the woman, so will pick any little thing to have a go, because that makes you big and clever.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
the queen is just a dreary, grey old woman - she's been raised in an environment where clapping is "beneath" her, and peasant-like. what do you expect when the state has nestled a spoilt lifestyle for her?
I think your post goes contrary to everything we know about the Queen, her upbringing, and her attitude to the monarchy and this country.
DanB1991
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well she was actually in the armed services during ww2, she joined the Women’s Auxiliary Territorial Service during World War II as a mechanic and driver.

She may not of fought but she still got her hands dirty quite literally.
TolerantBeing
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Welsh Bluebird)
Spot on. She's done more for this country than any of the scum bags in Westminster and we'd probably be a stronger more powerful nation with a better quality of life if the monarch actually ruled as opposed to a pathetic political elite.

So you don't care for democracy?
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah, reasoned debate! :rolleyes:

Aside from the fact that there were no trenches on the Normandy beaches, what exactly is your point? As the poster above pointed out, amazingly there were other roles that happened that directly contributed to the many many many actions that took throughout the entirety of the war. Philip was involved in the Invasion of Sicily, lessons learned from which were then used in the consequent invasion of France. But I guess that was also completely without merit and pointless to mention?

Let's not forget the simple fact that, as Queen, every event she ever attends will involve lots of applause. If she'd clapped her hardest everywhere she went her wrists would have fallen off 30 years ago.

But no, let's of course focus on the fact that, despite never having met her nor any of her family, you simply don't like the woman, so will pick any little thing to have a go, because that makes you big and clever.
I am aware that there no trenches in WW2 and of Philips involvement in the war.

Just because you don't know someone doesn't mean you can't judge them on their actions.

Although as an anti monarchist I am certainly biased in my assessment but it hasn't been helped by:

Approving cuts to britains most vulnerable and tax breaks for the rich on a golden throne FFS

Being petty enough to sack police officers for "eating her nuts" whilst on duty.

Consistently spending above (the family as a whole) means, despite getting a substantial "wage".

Probably bumping off Diana...
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)
Just because you don't know someone doesn't mean you can't judge them on their actions.
But you are deliberately, wilfully, and knowingly assuming the absolute worst, which is also in contradiction to what we know of the Queen's character and of protocol at events such as this. You aren't approaching this impartially and drawing a conclusion - you've already made your mind up.

Although as an anti monarchist I am certainly biased in my assessment but it hasn't been helped by:

Approving cuts to britains most vulnerable and tax breaks for the rich on a golden throne FFS
How is that the Queen's fault? Part of being a constitutional monarch is that she cannot block the Government of the day.

Being petty enough to sack police officers for "eating her nuts" whilst on duty.
Why not? Wouldn't you be miffed if coppers helped themselves to your food? Their job is to guard, not be in a party. If it happens all the time, and given how many functions the Palace holds, that will add up to a substantial sum of money lost.

Consistently spending above (the family as a whole) means, despite getting a substantial "wage".
Because she is the Head of State. She has to spend money to maintain a level of standards that visiting dignitaries, and the British people, expect.

Probably bumping off Diana...
Oh, you dropped your tin hat!
Welsh Bluebird
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TolerantBeing)
So you don't care for democracy?
Yes I do. We only have a certain level of democracy now because of people like the Queen. You should respect people like her. She's a legend.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (220)
33.74%
No (432)
66.26%

Watched Threads