Turn on thread page Beta

Best and worst British holiday destinations watch

ReputationRep:
    Best - Edinburgh for history, culture, shopping and the Festival Fringe
    London for musicals, more shopping and the occasional sight, like the Planetarium and the Dungeon
    Newquay - Just remember enjoying it as a child

Worst - London, as soon as I step off the train my lungs turned black. Too crowded dirty and scary

ReputationRep:
    Without a doubt Polzeath in Cornwall. I'll be there in August.

ReputationRep:
    Best: Torquay, full of old people but its really nice with a great beach.
    Hunstanton is pretty good as well.
    Shanklin, Cowes and Isle of Wight places are really great as well.
    St. Austell as well is good.

Worst: Probably Southend on Sea, a complete and utter dump.
    Also Cardiff and Tenby in Wales are horrible places, as i think was already mentioned by someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kissit)
    Barry Island!! Dont go there!! lol
    lol! scummy place isn't it! you must be from wales then, i really don't see people travelling from england to go there!

mind you, i had some fun times there as a child, but that was when it was a cool place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    lol! scummy place isn't it! you must be from wales then, i really don't see people travelling from england to go there!

mind you, i had some fun times there as a child, but that was when it was a cool place!

Yeah I live in wales now, Barry is very scummy and believe me people from englan do travel to go there, normally they are older people mind you....who want to remember the good old days, when Barry was nice I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    Worst: Probably Southend on Sea, a complete and utter dump.
    Also Cardiff and Tenby in Wales are horrible places, as i think was already mentioned by someone.
    I'd agree with that. I went to Saaarfend just after Christmas to watch a football match and the place is a complete poo-hole. It was just like a MASSIVE council estate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    The best beach in the entire UK is at Bamburgh.
    Yea, I agree with that. Has a great castle on the beach aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Best London, Coswolds, Devon. conwal, Dorset

Worst (for me) Dorset but only cos i live hear so basically if i have a holiday in Dorset i'm stuck at home. Also all the tourists piss me off in the summer. I hate the fact you can't get on Bmouth Beach because all the tourists are packed on like sardines..... (not that I actualyl go the that beach but i'll stop ranting now )

Worst place i've actually been on hol was blackpool (sorry)

ReputationRep:
    Best: Torquay, full of old people but its really nice with a great beach.
    Hunstanton is pretty good as well.
    Shanklin, Cowes and Isle of Wight places are really great as well.
    St. Austell as well is good.
    More than one great beach! Oddicombe is WONDERFUL (although I suggested taking the cliff railway rather than walking down the hill -up is not so bad). Torre Abbey Sands is always too busy IMO. Beware of all the foreign language students though, the place swarms with them all summer (damn them and their not queuing for buses - so many buses go past FULL of students, I had to wait for 2 hours after working 10 hours because they like to take little trips between 2 busstops and fill the bus up for people like me who need to travel further.... grrrr)

<misses home already, after only a week at uni>
    I miss the sea.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by emom100)
    Worst (for me) Dorset but only cos i live hear so basically if i have a holiday in Dorset i'm stuck at home. Also all the tourists piss me off in the summer. I hate the fact you can't get on Bmouth Beach because all the tourists are packed on like sardines..... (not that I actualyl go the that beach but i'll stop ranting now )
    gaaah I forgot about that - please everyone *don't* come to Bournemouth/Dorset caravan/holiday traffic doubles my hour long journey home on a friday during the summer months. If you have to come our way drive the pretty way on the A35 through the new forest instead of using my A31 :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I think Yarmouth gets my vote for the worst holiday destination. Extremely grubby, boarded up hotels, hoards of bored immigrants hanging around, single moms with **** hanging out of their mouths pushing grubby babies around in even grubbier prams.

YUK! If I ever become that desperate to go on holiday will somebody please shoot me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    More than one great beach! Oddicombe is WONDERFUL (although I suggested taking the cliff railway rather than walking down the hill -up is not so bad). Torre Abbey Sands is always too busy IMO
    I think i went to Torre Abbey Sands near Croorbyn Head :confused: , not sure about Oddicombe, think it was Illfracombe or something but that wasn't in Torquay i don't think.
    I remember going to Babacombe, they have a model village which was pretty cool, really nice people as well, and great ice cream which is always a positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben3085)
    I'd agree with that. I went to Saaarfend just after Christmas to watch a football match and the place is a complete poo-hole. It was just like a MASSIVE council estate.
    *Shudders* I know the place is terrible and really grotty. Wasn't how a typical seaside should be.

Infact i can remember the worst place in the UK:

RHYL!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think i went to Torre Abbey Sands near Croorbyn Head :confused: , not sure about Oddicombe, think it was Illfracombe or something but that wasn't in Torquay i don't think.
    I remember going to Babacombe, they have a model village which was pretty cool, really nice people as well, and great ice cream which is always a positive.
    Me!!!

ReputationRep:
    The New Forest definitely has to be one of the nicest places in Britain. The Holland Wood campsite near the beautiful village of Brockenhurst is so peaceful. I remember going camping there with a couple of friends, spending the whole day walking or cycling then just going to the pub in the evening. It was fantastic weather. The only way to relax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Quite a bit of it (tenby, angelsea and ingleton especially) on fieldtrips....tenby/angelsea at easter in a static caravan with 5 other people is not going to enamour itself to anyone...(ingleton was great though)

And to think I spent my first two holidays at Butlin at Pwythelli (sorry can't spell it)
    I spent a week in Anglesea 2 weeks ago with 5 friends and had a ball. We did a lot of walking and touristy things, then spent the evenings in our cottage eating, drinking and generally having a laugh. I had a great week there.

Jersey is a nice place in summer, although the amount of tourists can get irritating, they double the population in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Cornwall... miles from anywhere, but that's the attraction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakooga)
    Great Yarmouth is pretty bad, although I have never been there on a holiday, I just live not too far away. Cornwall is a nice place in the summer.
    Deffinately cornwall is lovely, I didn't like great Yarmouth at all to tacky

ReputationRep:
    Best: Newcastle, Manchester

Worst: London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kissit)
    Rhyl is another bad one...
    Quite liked Chester though and also Glasgow
    Forgot about Prestatyn if that's the right spelling......*goes green*

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.