The Student Room Group

Oriental girl in British boarding school

Well, I am going to study A-levels at a boarding school this Sep and I have heard many things about Britain. Some people say that overseas students here are unwelcomed, especially Orientals like me. This makes me extremely worried because I am going to be the first student ever of my country to study here and I am afraid no one will talk to me (the majority of my school is British, European and Chinese).

What do you think about this rumour ? Is it true or not ? Are British teenagers hate Orientals ?

Most boarding schools have huge numbers of Asian students so you will not be alone. Anyway the British are a very friendly people if you join in their fun.
Hi! I'm a Hong Kong girl studying in a boarding school right now and I have to say that everyone's been really lovely. There are bound to be some racist people but the majority of people aren't like that. I came to school five years ago with no real experience of communicating in English with English people, and I'm amazed how easily the other girls accepted me. I particularly remember having a welcome wagon of some sort with girls just coming up to me and making me feel welcomed. Even the Hong Kong boy who has been here longer than me didn't do that for me. Anyway, just don't worry and enjoy the experience!

BTW would you mind telling me which country are you from? :O the first from country thing caught my interest.
No it's not true. People are nice here and would probably be more interested in you because you come from abroad so would be friendly
Join in with other people and everything will be fine.

If you stuck to your 'own', then that's when things get complicated.
Reply 5
Original post by ZombifiedPuppy
Hi! I'm a Hong Kong girl studying in a boarding school right now and I have to say that everyone's been really lovely. There are bound to be some racist people but the majority of people aren't like that. I came to school five years ago with no real experience of communicating in English with English people, and I'm amazed how easily the other girls accepted me. I particularly remember having a welcome wagon of some sort with girls just coming up to me and making me feel welcomed. Even the Hong Kong boy who has been here longer than me didn't do that for me. Anyway, just don't worry and enjoy the experience!

BTW would you mind telling me which country are you from? :O the first from country thing caught my interest.

Actually I am from Vietnam :smile: I am going to a school in Cumbria

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending