The Student Room Group

Is a CV better written in first or third person?

As stated in title, would like the opinions of others on this, any input would be appreciated.

Peace
First.
First, definitely first.
I'd go with first person, i think it would seem weird to read a cv that someone had written by themselves but read as if someone had written it about them if that makes any sort of sense :L
First person, I'd presume

Although here's how I've written mine and its worked out fine for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
This is the only situation where saying first is a good thing.
Original post by Yawn11
As stated in title, would like the opinions of others on this, any input would be appreciated.

Peace

It should be written in the first person, but missing out the 'I' and 'me' out as they are self explanatory in a CV. So it should be constructed from bullet points which begin directly with the relevant verb eg

Led a team of 5 students in a Young Enterprise business that sold humorous t-shirts

Designed the font and layout and led the creative team who created the words and images

Negotiated a stall on the local market for a 50% reduced rate

Calculated sale price to cover all costs but ensure competitive sale of t-shirts

Sold 200 t-shirts in one week and made £800 profit

Reply 7
If you write it in the third person but with the he/shes missed out, it would be exactly the same!
Reply 8
Original post by Mbob
If you write it in the third person but with the he/shes missed out, it would be exactly the same!

But some CVs open with a personal statement which should certainly be phrased "I..."

Using third person would be ridiculous, I can't really understand why it would even be a consideration at any point.
Third person. Refer to yourself as "Mr (surname)" - no first names.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending