Sutton Bonington Campus?? Watch

TurnipHead
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've just got into nottingham as my insurance (which im quite pleased about). However i've just found out how far away the biology campus is from the rest oof the uni.
was just wondering how living so far away effects your social life and stuff?
Also how is life for thoughs who don't live there but have lectures there?
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Are you sure you are based at SB? The school of biology is at uni park, the school of biosciences is based at SB. Just wondered cos you have said about the biology school in your post, what course are you doing?

I'm about to start my third year at SB - doing animal science. It is about 11 miles from uni park. In my first year the campus was pretty dire, there was a free shuttle bus between uni park and SB in the week, which was pretty irregular and often late, there were no buses on bank holidays and only a couple a day at the weekends (one in the morning and one in the evening.) You were stranded there to a large degree if you didnt (or a friend didnt) have a car! The shop was only tiny and open a short time mon-fri, nothing at the weekend. It improved last year, they upped the bus services and improved them (still not great though!) The shop was open all week and for longer, they finally got a cash machine on campus etc. They are opening a new vet school out at SB for entry this september, I think that is the main reasons they were improving everything to increase uptake for the vet course, they built lovely brand new accomadation blocks for it etc.

The campus itself is nice, out in the country if you like that kind of thing. It has a good atmosphere with it being quite small and you get to know most people by sight. It can be a bit isolated, it is difficult getting it Nottingham for a night out without organising to go with a big group of people so you share a taxi back. Also, UP tends to forget about SB and you dont get told about things happening at the main campus, although that seems to be improving as well.

You said about not living there, I lived on campus in my first year and it was good, you get to know people who are in your lectures/doing your course etc. People I knew who lived at UP found it harder to mix in, not impossible, but took more effort as people already knew each other in lectures. It takes time travelling between the two sites each day as well, (can be between 30mins-1hr each way.) A lot of it would depend on if you wanted to live where you are based or want the extras that UP offers and are happy travelling out there each day.

Can't think of much else of the top of my head, but post again if you've got any more questions!
TurnipHead
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
thanks for the info. I'm doing microbiology which is based at SB. Don't think i get a choice on accomodation as theres only one hall near it on the prospectus.
It's a catered hall and i'd been preparing for a non catered so any comments about the food would be nice.
Thanks again
Toby T
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cathie86)
Are you sure you are based at SB? The school of biology is at uni park, the school of biosciences is based at SB. Just wondered cos you have said about the biology school in your post, what course are you doing?

I'm about to start my third year at SB - doing animal science. It is about 11 miles from uni park. In my first year the campus was pretty dire, there was a free shuttle bus between uni park and SB in the week, which was pretty irregular and often late, there were no buses on bank holidays and only a couple a day at the weekends (one in the morning and one in the evening.) You were stranded there to a large degree if you didnt (or a friend didnt) have a car! The shop was only tiny and open a short time mon-fri, nothing at the weekend. It improved last year, they upped the bus services and improved them (still not great though!) The shop was open all week and for longer, they finally got a cash machine on campus etc. They are opening a new vet school out at SB for entry this september, I think that is the main reasons they were improving everything to increase uptake for the vet course, they built lovely brand new accomadation blocks for it etc.

The campus itself is nice, out in the country if you like that kind of thing. It has a good atmosphere with it being quite small and you get to know most people by sight. It can be a bit isolated, it is difficult getting it Nottingham for a night out without organising to go with a big group of people so you share a taxi back. Also, UP tends to forget about SB and you dont get told about things happening at the main campus, although that seems to be improving as well.

You said about not living there, I lived on campus in my first year and it was good, you get to know people who are in your lectures/doing your course etc. People I knew who lived at UP found it harder to mix in, not impossible, but took more effort as people already knew each other in lectures. It takes time travelling between the two sites each day as well, (can be between 30mins-1hr each way.) A lot of it would depend on if you wanted to live where you are based or want the extras that UP offers and are happy travelling out there each day.

Can't think of much else of the top of my head, but post again if you've got any more questions!
Are you in the same class as Adam (BatMan)???
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Toby, in the same year as him. I know of him rather than know him, if you know what I mean. Why? I take it your doing vet sci this year from your sigm I'm sooo jealous! The vet school looks like it should be good, I would love to be starting there!

Turniphead. Microbiology is at SB. The only halls at SB are Bonington Halls, but they are then split into smaller kind of 'sub-halls.' But your easiest way is probably living at SB, like I said earlier some people live on uni park and commute each day, but they are def in the minority. I didn't realise it was catered. It was catered when I lived there, but then last year it had changed to self catered, but had a canteen on campus so you could buy meals if you wanted. They might have changed it back for this year, I don't know. When I was there the meals weren't too bad, nothing great though. Better than school dinners, but along the same lines as that really. The main problem I found with them wasnt the food, more that there were limited meal times and if they didnt fit in with what you were doing them you ended up missing a meal and then spending more money on your own food when you were paying for catered. They did have small kitchens in the catered halls though so you had a microwave etc to cook yourself something if you needed it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Nottingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Fri, 13 Sep '19

Are you chained to your phone?