The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Given the way Britain is viewed there right now, it wouldn't be the best idea. I'd prefer to leave it to France, Germany, and Turkey.
Reply 2
Bismarck
Given the way Britain is viewed there right now, it wouldn't be the best idea. I'd prefer to leave it to France, Germany, and Turkey.

agree. I thinks it should be left to france and turkey. both western nations but are viewed as more friendly in the Muslim world, compared to uk.
-1984-
Vote and discuss.

**** should we.

This affair is none of our business. We should only respond to direct threats to our sovereignty.
Reply 4
Quite apart from the PR issues, we're stretched enough as it is.
No, we should give Israel the chance to kick the crap out of Lebanon, as the Lebanese government are in no position to keep hold of their sovereign territory.
Well, seeing as the UN are gleefully re-assuring Hezbollah that the UN force is in fact not actually going to use any force or do much of anything except stick thousands of UN troops in the firing line for the next time the region goes to war, I don't think the UK should bother.
Reply 7
:ditto:
Reply 8
No, Britiain's already made a big enough mess of Iraq, stay out of this one.
Reply 9
I don't think yet more British interference; especially given the British government's obvious bias in this conflict; is going to prove useful. We'd be as welcome as a fart in an astranaut's suit.
Reply 10
numero sept
**** should we.

This affair is none of our business.

That's never stopped us before.
Reply 11
Howard
I don't think yet more British interference; especially given the British government's obvious bias in this conflict; is going to prove useful. We'd be as welcome as a fart in an astranaut's suit.

I agree - particularly since Israel are vetoing middle east countries who are not friendly towards them.

Given Britain's bias and acquiescence of US' support towards Israel it would be a blatant injustice to not treat both Lebanon and Israel in the same manner.

Besides which, we don't want to provoke any further anger towards us from the more extreme margins of Islam.
Reply 12
yawn
I agree - particularly since Israel are vetoing middle east countries who are not friendly towards them.

Not friendly? :confused: They're vetoing countries that don't reocgnize its existence.
yawn

Now why would they do that? :rolleyes:

yawn
Given Britain's bias and acquiescence of US' support towards Israel it would be a blatant injustice to not treat both Lebanon and Israel in the same manner.

British troops would be there to enforce a UN Mandate - there is no question of them "not treating people in an equal manner" - they won't be deciding objectives or strategy. Secondly, it's not simply 'bias' to support a certain side in a conflict, biases AFFECT a decision or judgment - they are not THE decision or judgment.

yawn
Besides which, we don't want to provoke any further anger towards us from the more extreme margins of Islam.

Ah, so now being part of a UN force "provokes anger" from Islamic elements? OK, let's shorten the list - is there anything that DOESN'T "provoke anger" from them?
Reply 14
JonathanH
Ah, so now being part of a UN force "provokes anger" from Islamic elements? OK, let's shorten the list - is there anything that DOESN'T "provoke anger" from them?

building a mosque in London. :wink:
JonathanH
Now why would they do that? :rolleyes:

for the same reasons that Lebanese people would object to the presence of UK troops?

both seem pretty valid to me...so we stay out of it, the US stays out of it, and so do all Arab countries which don't recognise Israel. everybody's happy:biggrin:

British troops would be there to enforce a UN Mandate - there is no question of them "not treating people in an equal manner" - they won't be deciding objectives or strategy. Secondly, it's not simply 'bias' to support a certain side in a conflict, biases AFFECT a decision or judgment - they are not THE decision or judgment.

Would the same reasoning apply to troops with a bias against the Israelis?
_incorporated_
Would the same reasoning apply to troops with a bias against the Israelis?

We're not talking 'bias' - we're talking hatred. If troops come from a country that doesn't recognise Israel as a State, can their troops actually be relied on to act in situations where Israel's borders are threatened? UK troops are professionals.
Howard
That's never stopped us before.

Who the **** cares?

Do you have a **** over a 1920's world map, when lots of it was covered pink? :rolleyes:
British forces are involved in Iraq and in Afghanistan, and things aren't going well for them in either country. Given the way Tony Blair slimes around Bush 43, and given the way in which they tacitly encouraged the Israeli Olmert/Pertetz/Halutz axis at the start of the second war in Lebanon,, posting British troops in Lebanon at this point would be insensitive and inappropriate. It would also put the soldiers, who don't have any say in it, at great risk.
Reply 19
dismal_laundry
British forces are involved in Iraq and in Afghanistan, and things aren't going well for them in either country. Given the way Tony Blair slimes around Bush 43, and given the way in which they tacitly encouraged the Israeli Olmert/Pertetz/Halutz axis at the start of the second war in Lebanon,, posting British troops in Lebanon at this point would be insensitive and inappropriate. It would also put the soldiers, who don't have any say in it, at great risk.

Last time I checked Britain had a professional military; not a conscripted one.

Latest

Trending

Trending