The Student Room Group

Geography/Environmental Science 2015 Applicants

Hey, I'm thinking of applying to either one of the courses above in Cardiff, bristol, Exeter or Southampton. Anyone else thinking the same? Also what subjects are you taking now? Or like volunteering and stuff?

Scroll to see replies

Im going to be applying for geography in September for 2015 too :smile:. Im looking at bristol exeter, kings college london, birmingham and if everything goes to plan cambridge. I havent done any volunteering or work experience :frown: , ive done quiet a lot of wider reading though and im a geography prefect at school and on there senior leadership so i help in the department doing quiz , clubs , CA help and we did a leacture thing to :smile:. Have u done any work experience or looked at any unis yet?
Reply 2
I'm going to do be doing work experience with RSPB in a few weeks, but that's it. I do Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award too so I'll be doing something geography related as part of my residential. What subjects do you do now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats more than me :smile: i couldnt find anything :frown: . Im doing economics, geography , history and politics what about you?
Reply 4
I've been lucky that my sixth form administrator just happens to know someone in the RSPB! Ooh spare you looking at BA Geog? I do Art, Welsh, Geography and Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was lucky. Im not sure really i know my a levels are more suited to BA but i prefere physicial geography. So not really surely many looking at course that are really flexible at the moment, which one are you looking at ?
Reply 6
Hi! I'm visiting Exeter's Cornwall campus ( I'm looking to study Environmental Science :smile: ) next weekend but I'm pretty sure it will be my favorite! Plus the course content looks really great compared to others! If anyone is looking for Work Experience or volunteering but has been unsuccessful with RSPB, try your county's Wildlife Trust :smile: What kind of grades are you guys predicted/think you'll get?
I going to exeter too. Are you going on the 10th?. Thanks for the advance re workexperience. Im really not sure about grades i have learning difficulties so are only predicted BBBB but all my teachers have said and more than capable of beating them . Ive got a A* in EPQ already and im hoping for A* geo and pol and A in economic plus history AS but like i said im very unsure other than Geo.What kind of grades are you looking at?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm going on the 14th - I'm guessing there are different dates for the Exeter campus and the Penryn Campus? If you can, let me know what the main Exeter Campus is like - I'd be interested to know!! They both look really nice!

BBBB is pretty impressive considering you have learning difficulties!! And by the sounds of it, you've done even better!! Those are my predicted grades too :smile: I'm taking Art, Music, Geography and Physics (And I'll hopefully have a BTEC in Tropical Habitat Conservation). I've got my fingers crossed for an A in Art and Geography hopefully..? But Music and Physics I'm unsure.. I'd be happy with a B or even a C for physics!

The learning style really caught me out in A level, I'm determined to do better next year to bump up my grades for those better Universities!!

Good luck with work experience!!
Hey everyone, I've just finished first year of the BA Geography course at the Uni of Liverpool.

Quote me on here if you'd like to know anything about either the uni (which is great btw!) or what human geog is like at degree level! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TonieMeow
I'm going on the 14th - I'm guessing there are different dates for the Exeter campus and the Penryn Campus? If you can, let me know what the main Exeter Campus is like - I'd be interested to know!! They both look really nice!

BBBB is pretty impressive considering you have learning difficulties!! And by the sounds of it, you've done even better!! Those are my predicted grades too :smile: I'm taking Art, Music, Geography and Physics (And I'll hopefully have a BTEC in Tropical Habitat Conservation). I've got my fingers crossed for an A in Art and Geography hopefully..? But Music and Physics I'm unsure.. I'd be happy with a B or even a C for physics!

The learning style really caught me out in A level, I'm determined to do better next year to bump up my grades for those better Universities!!

Good luck with work experience!!

Will do, wish i was goingto look at the penryn campus to cause the course there looks a bit better than exeter but it just so far away. Those result look really good, and what was the BTEc like out of interest it looks reallly interesting. Which subject are you going to drop? My problem was a found it really easy and didnt find i need to do much work to keep up them i got to exam time and realised we had covered the syalabus in most subject :frown:.
Original post by Alexandra19
Hey everyone, I've just finished first year of the BA Geography course at the Uni of Liverpool.

Quote me on here if you'd like to know anything about either the uni (which is great btw!) or what human geog is like at degree level! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi can i just ask how flexible the course is between human and physical the websites a little confusing :smile:
Original post by social outcast
Hi can i just ask how flexible the course is between human and physical the websites a little confusing :smile:

Hi :smile:

The course is really flexible, more so than a lot of others I think, that's why I chose Liverpool.

There's 8 modules in first year including 5 compulsory ones. 3 of the compulsory modules are specific to whichever course you're doing, whether it's BA or BSc, one is an introductory environmental change module that covers both human and physical geography, and the other compulsory module is study skills.

For your 3 optional modules, they will recommend that you take some of the compulsory modules from the type of geography that you aren't doing. You're welcome to take all 3 of your optional modules in the other type of geography if you like, most people do that and it gives you a really good mixture of material to learn and keeps things interesting, but, if you want to stick with all BA or BSc modules, it's definitely still worth asking (that's what I did).

Sorry for the long winded reply haha, it's not really easy to explain!

Are you thinking of applying for human or physical? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alexandra19
Hi :smile:

The course is really flexible, more so than a lot of others I think, that's why I chose Liverpool.

There's 8 modules in first year including 5 compulsory ones. 3 of the compulsory modules are specific to whichever course you're doing, whether it's BA or BSc, one is an introductory environmental change module that covers both human and physical geography, and the other compulsory module is study skills.

For your 3 optional modules, they will recommend that you take some of the compulsory modules from the type of geography that you aren't doing. You're welcome to take all 3 of your optional modules in the other type of geography if you like, most people do that and it gives you a really good mixture of material to learn and keeps things interesting, but, if you want to stick with all BA or BSc modules, it's definitely still worth asking (that's what I did).

Sorry for the long winded reply haha, it's not really easy to explain!

Are you thinking of applying for human or physical? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank You thats really helpful. Thinking about physical but my a levels are all human based so not sure at the moment.
Thank You thats really helpful. Thinking about physical but my a levels are all human based so not sure at the moment.

You're welcome!

That won't be a problem to be honest, one of my friends applied to Liverpool for a BSc with human based A Levels and got an offer straight away.

They're really flexible about it when you get there too, there was a lot of swapping around in the first two weeks of first semester, with people who'd applied for one type then quickly realised they'd rather swap to the other :smile:

But, people who had like just 1 science A Level were much better prepared for the physical modules and as a result did do a lot better, but it's just something to keep in mind.

Feel free to ask anything else or PM me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Will do, wish i was goingto look at the penryn campus to cause the course there looks a bit better than exeter but it just so far away. Those result look really good, and what was the BTEc like out of interest it looks reallly interesting. Which subject are you going to drop? My problem was a found it really easy and didnt find i need to do much work to keep up them i got to exam time and realised we had covered the syalabus in most subject :frown:.

Thanks! :smile: and yeah, it is far away.. from pretty much everywhere! I'm lucky that I live on the south coast so it isn't too far from me. And I actually haven't done the BTEC yet. After I've finished my a2 levels, I'm going on a 6 week volunteering project to the Costa Rican Rainforest where I will complete it :biggrin: mega excited!! I know what you mean too- I sailed through GCSEs and by the time I realized that I actually had to put some more effort into A Levels, it was too late :/ But what will be, will be :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by TonieMeow
Hi! I'm visiting Exeter's Cornwall campus ( I'm looking to study Environmental Science :smile: ) next weekend but I'm pretty sure it will be my favorite! Plus the course content looks really great compared to others! If anyone is looking for Work Experience or volunteering but has been unsuccessful with RSPB, try your county's Wildlife Trust :smile: What kind of grades are you guys predicted/think you'll get?

I'm going next weekend too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Sorry I haven't been on this in a while.. What are everyone's predicted grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ummm...
I'm going next weekend too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't wait! It looks such a beautiful place :biggrin: but my predicted grades are Bs :/ So I'm not sure if I even have a chance of getting an offer!! What about you??
Reply 19
You have all made a very sensible choice of subject, I applaud you. :yep:

I applied for BSc Geography for 2014 entry - if you have questions about Cambridge, Leeds, Exeter (particularly those 3 since I visited them...), Reading or Sussex, shoot me your questions! Not as helpful as a current undergrad I know, but I might be able to impart some wisdom. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest