Mo_Jo.
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
How was the exam today....
Qiang.Feng
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I thought it was quite easy. The only question I'm slightly unsure of is the one about the evolution of the theory of techtonic plates.

For part (a) I put something about similar species on continents that were very far away and that the rock layer structure was very similar for continents that were far away aswell.

For part (b) I talked about there being more scientific evidence available now and we are now able to monitor the movements of techtonic plates.

Can anyone confirm if these will get the marks?
azaaza
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
did anyone get 23 for atom economy and for the 'why can't they study all of the earth', did anyone put that the core is too hot to reach? Also, did anyone get that high tenperature decreases yield but decreases rate of reaction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
azaaza
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
*Increases rate of reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Qiang.Feng
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by azaaza)
did anyone get 23 for atom economy and for the 'why can't they study all of the earth', did anyone put that the core is too hot to reach? Also, did anyone get that high tenperature decreases yield but decreases rate of reaction?
I got 45.8% for atom economy and 46% for percentage yield. How did you get 23%?

For the "Why can't they study all of the earth" question I put the temperature below the crust is too hot and will melt equipment they put down there (or something along those lines).

And yes, a higher temperature will decrease the percentage yield (it favours the backwards reaction - thus moving the equilibrium to the left) but it increases the rate of reaction.

What did you put for the plate techtonic evolution question?
Mo_Jo.
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Qiang.Feng)
I got 45.8% for atom economy and 46% for percentage yield. How did you get 23%?

For the "Why can't they study all of the earth" question I put the temperature below the crust is too hot and will melt equipment they put down there (or something along those lines).

And yes, a higher temperature will decrease the percentage yield (it favours the backwards reaction - thus moving the equilibrium to the left) but it increases the rate of reaction.

What did you put for the plate techtonic evolution question?
Plate techtonic answer was anything from:

• there's a clear fit between continents such as Africa and south America hence supporting the theory that the plates were joined.
  • identical plant fossils of the same age have been found in countries such as Antarctica, south America and Africa suggesting techtonic plates were once joined
  • Animal fossils such as the freshwater crocodile have been found in Brazil and South Africa and they couldn't swim there suggesting plates were all joined once.
  • Rock layers of the same age have been found with remarkable similarities in different countries so plates were once intact
  • Living creatures such as the earthworm can be found in countries such as the tips of both Africa And South America and they couldn't have travelled there so the techtonic plates were once joined.

Reason why they can't study earth is anything from:
  • Limited technology
  • Deeper down you go the earth the hotter it becomes
  • The crust is very solid to drill through
ohboyimscrewed
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mo_Jo.)
Plate techtonic answer was anything from:

• there's a clear fit between continents such as Africa and south America hence supporting the theory that the plates were joined.
  • identical plant fossils of the same age have been found in countries such as Antarctica, south America and Africa suggesting techtonic plates were once joined
  • Animal fossils such as the freshwater crocodile have been found in Brazil and South Africa and they couldn't swim there suggesting plates were all joined once.
  • Rock layers of the same age have been found with remarkable similarities in different countries so plates were once intact
  • Living creatures such as the earthworm can be found in countries such as the tips of both Africa And South America and they couldn't have travelled there so the techtonic plates were once joined.

Reason why they can't study earth is anything from:
  • Limited technology
  • Deeper down you go the earth the hotter it becomes
  • The crust is very solid to drill through
What about the mid-Atlantic ridge, which shows that the ocean floor was spreading?
Haidar :)
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ohboyimscrewed)
What about the mid-Atlantic ridge, which shows that the ocean floor was spreading?
I put that - I'm sure it's a mark
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I can't find past papers for the next chemistry exam
laura89392
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by azaaza)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put for the earth that the crust is too thick to drill through and also past the crust it is too hot and any equipment used would be melted

Posted from TSR Mobile
laura89392
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
I can't find past papers for the next chemistry exam
Neither can I😬 I was ready to print and try them but they're not on the internet 😒

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by laura89392)
Neither can I������ I was ready to print and try them but they're not on the internet ������

Posted from TSR Mobile
For all 3 sciences there's only 1 - the specimen. It is very annoying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads