organic chemistry

Watch this thread
uzer
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
in a few organic reactions the products containes one more carbon atom than the starting material

write the equation for a reaction in which the organic compound bromoethane whicn contains 2 carbon atoms is converted into an organic compound which contains 3 carbon atoms

state conditions for this reaction
username1256732
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
It is reacted with a nitrile, e.g KCN and the extra C comes from the nitrile. the reaction is nucleophillic substitution hopefully this helps a little
The conditions will be on your toolkit, I can't remember them right now, I'm sure some ethanol (aq) comes into it, but don't quote me on that :/
It may just be KCN and reflux actually. But you'll have to check that
uzer
Rep:
hi can you please explain this

ethanol may be converted into propanoic acid in a three stage process which uses ethanol as the only organic compound

C2H5OH (step 1 ) ----> K (step 2) ----> L (step 3) ----> C2H5CO2H

thanks for the help
username1256732
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by uzer)
hi can you please explain this

ethanol may be converted into propanoic acid in a three stage process which uses ethanol as the only organic compound

C2H5OH (step 1 ) ----> K (step 2) ----> L (step 3) ----> C2H5CO2H

thanks for the help
Okay, so in step 1, we want to convert ethanol into bromoethane by refluxing with HBr (aq). This is step one and K is bromoethane.

Next, we need to add an extra C. This is done by nuclephillic substitution with a nitrile group. So we react bromoethane with KCN and ethanol (aq) and reflux it. This gives L as:

CH3CH2CN.

Now we have our extra carbon and all we need to do is hydrolyse the CN bond to form a carboxylic acid.

And so step 3 is reacting our propanenitrile with concentrated sulfuric acid, water and then reflux.

This gives the required propanoic acid.

Hope this helps you
uzer
Rep:
(Original post by mathematigeek)
Okay, so in step 1, we want to convert ethanol into bromoethane by refluxing with HBr (aq). This is step one and K is bromoethane.

Next, we need to add an extra C. This is done by nuclephillic substitution with a nitrile group. So we react bromoethane with KCN and ethanol (aq) and reflux it. This gives L as:

CH3CH2CN.

Now we have our extra carbon and all we need to do is hydrolyse the CN bond to form a carboxylic acid.

And so step 3 is reacting our propanenitrile with concentrated sulfuric acid, water and then reflux.

This gives the required propanoic acid.

Hope this helps you
so does n react with sulphuric acid to form nitrogen sulphate
username1256732
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by uzer)
so does n react with sulphuric acid to form nitrogen sulphate
Not too sure if I'm honest :/ I'm really sorry
uzer
Rep:
(Original post by mathematigeek)
Not too sure if I'm honest :/ I'm really sorry
but there wouldnt be a nitrogen in the final product right?
username1256732
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by uzer)
but there wouldnt be a nitrogen in the final product right?
Not in the carboxylic acid, but yes, there will be a product that contains nitrogen as a part of the reaction. I'm just unsure of what it would be
uzer
Rep:
ok thanks for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (14)
17.28%
The paper was reasonable (28)
34.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (30)
37.04%
It was TERRIBLE (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise