Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started learning Welsh a couple of years ago but I gave up because it was too hard. I'm much better at learning languages now though and want to give it another go.

I've got a 'teach yourself' book and although that's OK for spoken Welsh and vocabulary it's not very good for grammar. Anyone know of any websites which can explain the grammar, and by that I don't mean anything complicated, just forming sentences and tenses.

Diolch, Gareth.

ReputationRep:
    I think the 'catchphrase' book does a fairly good job. Also, the BBC website is incredibly comprehensive. You can hear a *lot* of spoken Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    Dw i'n hoffi Cymreag achos mae h'in BENDIGEDIG!!

heh, i love my friend Cara imparting her wisdom on me...

ReputationRep:
    actually, does anyone know how to spell the word that sounds like "weech" (scottish "ch") and means "great"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Jim)
    actually, does anyone know how to spell the word that sounds like "weech" (scottish "ch") and means "great"?
    Gwych, I'd think, perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    Pob lwc i ti.

ReputationRep:
    Welsh seems like so much fun, it's just so hard to get started with!

I'm tempted to apply for unis in Wales just so I can learn some Welsh.

ReputationRep:
    Wych, Mr Jim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happiness)
    Wych, Mr Jim
    woot, thanks! i thought sam never pronounced it with a "g". have been teaching my nieces "poi oi ti?" and "sut oi ti?" etc :p: surprisingly it's all sticking much easier than french or spanish...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Jim)
    woot, thanks! i thought sam never pronounced it with a "g". have been teaching my nieces "poi oi ti?" and "sut oi ti?" etc :p: surprisingly it's all sticking much easier than french or spanish...
    that'd be 'pwy wyt ti' and 'sut wyt ti', I suspect. Incidentally, mightn't 'wych' be a mutated version of 'Gwych'?

ReputationRep:
    yeah as can be plainly seen i'm really in no position to pass judgement :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BovineBeast)
    that'd be 'pwy wyt ti' and 'sut wyt ti', I suspect. Incidentally, mightn't 'wych' be a mutated version of 'Gwych'?

You're right, I just checked in the dictionary. It's been a while since I was learning welsh at school, and I only ever learned the form "wych"..
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Mutations... agh, I guess that's the biggest challenge for non speakers! I can speak it almost fluently (I went to a Welsh first language school, but I don't speak it at home) and I still can't get it right all the time - especially when you do the "treiglad meddal" after all the set words you have to learn... am, ar, at gan, dros, drwy etc...

Good luck to everyone learning welsh.. it's great that you like it

ReputationRep:
    People only want to learn welsh because of Glyn and Imogen though really :P but I think that's great. Mae'n gret! Pob lwc!! Fy cymraeg yn crap mae ddrwg gen i.

ReputationRep:
    dw i'n mynd i'r gêm rhwng Cymru a Brazil yn Llundain yfory

I hope the above make sense, it's probably the longest sentence I've written in Welsh since I started learning!

ReputationRep:
    I understood it Well done!

Enjoy the game.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 5, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.