The Student Room Group

Is doing 5 A2s feasible?

Bit of background info: I got 10 A*s at GCSE with relatively little work, and now I'm predicted 5 As at AS in physics, chem, French, maths and further maths. With how my exams have gone so far, I'm probably (hopefully) looking at mid-high 90UMS average.
The workload this year has been a bit of a step up from GCSE but only because I barely did anything at home in Year 11.
I'd like to do physics at Oxford and I know that their offer for sciences is A* A* A, but I love all of my subjects so much, I can't decide which one to drop.
Would it be manageable to do 5 A2s? I'd get a few frees anyway since I'm doing M1 this year so I won't need to go to some maths lessons next year.
Am I crazy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
With your achievement I feel it would be possible! Just be prepared for a lot of work!
At the end of the exams i'm taking I will end up with 5 A2 Levels, so it can be done :smile:
I'd say yes, just as long as you're incredibly organised.

The work load for Maths and Further Maths doesn't change much between AS and A2 and as you're doing M1 this year it'll probably be even less. With French, you'll be getting more essays to write, but as I said, if you're organised there should be no problem. I can't comment on your other two subjects as I don't do them. With your grades you should be fine though!

And you could always take 5, and then drop 1/2 if you can't manage the workload. Be aware that certain uni's may give you an offer with all your subjects though if you do decide to take extras.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by kastiel
With your achievement I feel it would be possible! Just be prepared for a lot of work!
At the end of the exams i'm taking I will end up with 5 A2 Levels, so it can be done :smile:

Original post by smileyelzz
I'd say yes, just as long as you're incredibly organised.

The work load for Maths and Further Maths doesn't change much between AS and A2 and as you're doing M1 this year it'll probably be even less. With French, you'll be getting more essays to write, but as I said, if you're organised there should be no problem. I can't comment on your other two subjects as I don't do them. With your grades you should be fine though!

And you could always take 5, and then drop 1/2 if you can't manage the workload. Be aware that certain uni's may give you an offer with all your subjects though if you do decide to take extras.

Thanks!! My maths and further maths modules next year will be C3&4, FP2&3 and M2&3 (AQA). I think? so hopefully they will be okay!

With the workload, we've just started the A2 courses (even though my AS exams haven't finished) and they're going well, but I'm missing school she to open days, then in Malaysia for a month over summer, and then at a summer school. Do you think this will affect my initial learning of the A2 courses? or is it "catch-upable" at home before summer?
Original post by k_slatch
Thanks!! My maths and further maths modules next year will be C3&4, FP2&3 and M2&3 (AQA). I think? so hopefully they will be okay!

With the workload, we've just started the A2 courses (even though my AS exams haven't finished) and they're going well, but I'm missing school she to open days, then in Malaysia for a month over summer, and then at a summer school. Do you think this will affect my initial learning of the A2 courses? or is it "catch-upable" at home before summer?

I wouldn't worry at all, tbh I forgot most of the things we did before summer :rolleyes: You'll probably go over them again briefly at the start of September anyway. And I assume that you're doing C3 at the moment? If so, it'll only take you a few hours at most to go over the first few chapters. The content isn't difficult at all!

Good luck! Enjoy your summer before the stresses of A2 begin :tongue:
Reply 5
Bit of background info: I got 10 A*s at GCSE with relatively little work, and now I'm predicted 5 As at AS in physics, chem, French, maths and further maths. With how my exams have gone so far, I'm probably (hopefully) looking at mid-high 90UMS average.
The workload this year has been a bit of a step up from GCSE but only because I barely did anything at home in Year 11.
I'd like to do physics at Oxford and I know that their offer for sciences is A* A* A, but I love all of my subjects so much, I can't decide which one to drop.
Would it be manageable to do 5 A2s? I'd get a few frees anyway since I'm doing M1 this year so I won't need to go to some maths lessons next year.
Am I crazy?

Those are awesome GCSE results which I'm sure indicate you will be fine. Although you might enjoy all of the subjects, I'd think more about how much it will help your application. You could much more easily focus all of your time to get those two A* and an A rather than trying to manage 5 A Levels at once. I remember a friend going to a life sciences presentation at Manchester university and they said it was pointless having 5 A levels as they only consider the best three grades, however I couldn't comment on Oxford - they might see it differently. If choosing 5 A levels is out of your own enjoyment then go ahead, but you may find it overwhelming if you do not keep to strict organisation. I personally find doing 3 A2 subjects is more than enough, but each to their own.
Reply 6
Original post by smileyelzz
I wouldn't worry at all, tbh I forgot most of the things we did before summer :rolleyes: You'll probably go over them again briefly at the start of September anyway. And I assume that you're doing C3 at the moment? If so, it'll only take you a few hours at most to go over the first few chapters. The content isn't difficult at all!

Good luck! Enjoy your summer before the stresses of A2 begin :tongue:

Awesome, thanks! Yeah just covering the start of C3, and I have frees whilst my class are starting M1 too
Reply 7
Original post by Jamo9809
Those are awesome GCSE results which I'm sure indicate you will be fine. Although you might enjoy all of the subjects, I'd think more about how much it will help your application. You could much more easily focus all of your time to get those two A* and an A rather than trying to manage 5 A Levels at once. I remember a friend going to a life sciences presentation at Manchester university and they said it was pointless having 5 A levels as they only consider the best three grades, however I couldn't comment on Oxford - they might see it differently. If choosing 5 A levels is out of your own enjoyment then go ahead, but you may find it overwhelming if you do not keep to strict organisation. I personally find doing 3 A2 subjects is more than enough, but each to their own.

The sole reason I would do 5 is because I love them all!
I want to do physics, so I need physics, maths and further maths, and often unis want another as well as those three because of FM, so then I would take either chemistry or French.
Chem is pretty straightforward, or at least has been this year, and I enjoy it, and the same with French!

If I get a B in any, although I don't think I have, I'll drop that one...
Think I'll go and chat to my head of sixth form
Reply 8
Thanks everyone!
Am I crazy?

Do you have a social life or do extracurricular activities as well?

Not trying to sound harsh but I think it would be more beneficial to your university application developing those skills by taking up a new sport or hobby rather than doing a fifth A2 which you absolutely don't need
I think you can do it. I think with your ability it might be better to drop 1 subject to get 4 a levels (and guarantee some 100ums modules maybe?).

Either way you've got a great chance of getting into Oxford at the moment, good luck! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by AwkwardLemur
Do you have a social life or do extracurricular activities as well?

Not trying to sound harsh but I think it would be more beneficial to your university application developing those skills by taking up a new sport or hobby rather than doing a fifth A2 which you absolutely don't need

Haha yeah! I'm not a stay in 24/7 revision hermit! If I were the sort of person staying in all the time, I would 100% cut it down to 3 or 4, so I could have a social life, but I seem to be doing pretty well, even in exam season!

I'm not intending to take it to improve my application, but rather for a love of the subjects, so maybe I'll drop French and just learn it independently without the structure of the A2 course. Thanks!
(and I'm not offended don't worry!!)
Reply 12
Original post by Comeback
I think you can do it. I think with your ability it might be better to drop 1 subject to get 4 a levels (and guarantee some 100ums modules maybe?).

Either way you've got a great chance of getting into Oxford at the moment, good luck! :smile:

Yeah, I know I'm capable of 100 UMS with the right amount of work, it's just whether I can fit in that amount of work for 5 subjects worth! So yeah, probably wiser to take 4..
Thanks!
Yes it is possible.

Oh btw - one of my friends, incredibly intelligent, I think she got something like 14A*s, did 5A2s, maths, all sciences and german.. she got A*A*A*AA.

She said if she did 4A2s, she probs would have got 4A*s.

Also something to consider is that you won't be having jan exams.. so you will have SOOOOO many exams in the summer!
(edited 9 years ago)
Haha yeah! I'm not a stay in 24/7 revision hermit! If I were the sort of person staying in all the time, I would 100% cut it down to 3 or 4, so I could have a social life, but I seem to be doing pretty well, even in exam season!

I'm not intending to take it to improve my application, but rather for a love of the subjects, so maybe I'll drop French and just learn it independently without the structure of the A2 course. Thanks!
(and I'm not offended don't worry!!)

Yeah mane

Bear in mind that Oxford has a load of tests you will have to prepare for in addition to your A-Level study as well

If I were you I would consider taking up a sport with your free time, shows that you have something to offer to the university rather than just being smart, GL
Is it not just FM A2 with the three others? Or are you not doing Maths A2 this year?

Either way, easily doable!
Reply 16
Am I crazy?

Now that is coincidence.
I got 10A* (and 2A) at GCSE
I'm doing Maths, FM, Chemistry, French and Physics (all to A2)
and I'm looking at an UMS average in the 90's.

This year (year 12) I'm doing French A2 and Maths A2 so next year I have FM, Chemistry and Physics A2, (this arrangement makes it somewhat easier).

French A2 is definitely a step up from AS as is maths. (I take it you haven't done A2 maths yet).

It is a huge workload doing 5 A2s in one year, only one person has ever pulled that off at my school and he's now at Oxford reading medicine.
I can't say whether I recommend it or not though, quality is by far better than quantity so IMHO, don't do 5 A2s unless you can achieve at least the same number of A*s than if you were doing 4 A2s.

personally I am confident I can get at least 4A*s and that's why doing the 5th one makes sense for me.

Only exam where I am not so sure about this year is one of the chemistry, it was a hard paper and i ran out of time with half a question to go :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
NO! Do NOT do 5. You'll want to kill yourself. So stressful when it comes to exams.

I suppose if you started revising well enough in advance and really really worked hard you could though.
Up to you.
Depends wether you can work hard enough!

All the best

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a little like you, but more arty than sciencey. I got 9A* at GCSE and am predicted 5As in English Lit, RS, Maths, Biology and Psychology (fingers crossed) and I'm hoping for high UMS. But I'm still dropping a subject, even though I like them all.

The fact is, I'm happy I took all these subjects at AS level, but A2 is a step up. Not only do you have harder exam content and more work (and harder exams), but you also have a lot more on your plate with applying to university, and a lot more pressure. Also, most universities - possibly even Oxford - will give you a 3-grade offer, rendering your other two A2s a burden on your time. Take 4 by all means, but I would really recommend not taking all five. I know it's hard when you like all your subjects...but you'll thank yourself later for giving yourself that extra time. And if Oxford were to give you a 5-grade offer, you *might* have a breakdown.

Then again, I don't know you as well as you do. All I know is that I'm effectively taking 5 A2s for the next 3 weeks (I have to start all my courses in case I change what I'm dropping) and it looks to be pretty horrendous.
I'm sure you're capable of doing 5, but just remember that the step from GCSE to AS is a slight jump, but the step from AS to A2 is regarded as even bigger by many people.

Wouldn't it be better the guarantee yourself 4 good grades without the chance of stress over whelming you (which it might considering that many exams only in the summer!)?

Ultimately it's up to you obviously, and that's just my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest