The Student Room Group

Largest men's rights conference of its kind threatened with cancellation by feminists

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Slightly orthogonal to your post: I find it depressing how much identity politics has taken over society these days.

A lot of it of course emanates originally from radical feminism - the legitimisation of many of their views was bound to create a counter-movement of sorts.

I feel that it would be a lot better if genuine grievances were addressed as issues individually, and in and of themselves, as opposed to one set of identity-related grievances being badgered for by feminists and another set by MRAs, with the two perpetually at loggerheads. Given the way things have turned out, though, this whole 'us vs them' mentality doesn't seem likely to dissipate any time soon.
Its strange how feminism has almost become a cult for a very strange subset of woman.

I would love to properly interview 100 feminists and try and find the common link between them.

Luckily we live in a society where most of the man hating sexist views are kept on the internet, but I do think its important that during the bend the knee to everything woman want society we live in now, that men should be able to meet to discuss their place in society.

Funny how when feminists receive death threats about a campaign to put women on a bank note it's headline news but when men receive them its just not important.

I think just like women need a voice, which wheb it comes to western feminism tends to be shrieking, unreasonable, prejudiced, entitled and hypocritical, men also need one too.

I've said it a million times before, if women in the west spent half as much time moaning for women's rights in the developing world as they do trying to argue the toss over stupid stuff like a ball gag being sold in river island, we might actually get somewhere.

Just like when your mum told you people are starving in the world when you wouldn't eat your peas, there's women in the world who's plight is more than being offended by a semi naked woman in a newspaper.
(edited 9 years ago)
lol this thread has attracted the usual suspects. :rofl:
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
lol this thread has attracted the usual suspects. :rofl:

Counting down the seconds til Dark Horse shows :wink:

Edit: Oh maybe not, he is finally banned.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can I be the rational sane voice of men's rights movement?

If both feminists and men's rights activists both genuinely want the same thing, equality for their gender of choice, why can they not work together? Why do they all hate each other?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

If both feminists and men's rights activists both genuinely want the same thing, equality for their gender of choice, why can they not work together? Why do they all hate each other?

This. I agree. Feminists are not the enemy but men's rights activists don't see it that way
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

I guess it might be similar to the reason why black rights activists couldn't get along with the people who go around saying "anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white".
This. I agree. Feminists are not the enemy but men's rights activists don't see it that way

Feminists are not the enemy? Then why are they sending death threats to MRAs? :confused:
Original post by Jonny360
Feminists are not the enemy? Then why are they sending death threats to MRAs? :confused:

Because these so called MRAs are very misogynistic, that doesn't justify it though. Also you can't take the action if a small amount of feminists and say ALL feminists do that
Because these so called MRAs are very misogynistic, that doesn't justify it though. Also you can't take the action if a small amount of feminists and say ALL feminists do that

Sorry, how are they misogynist by advocating for men's rights? While it's true both groups should ideally work together, your claim that the blame lies on MRAs is not true. There are plenty of feminists who are misandrist and would refuse to work with men.
Reply 11
Original post by redferry
Counting down the seconds til Dark Horse shows :wink:

Edit: Oh maybe not, he is finally banned.

there is a god after all
Reply 12
Men don't need a men's rights movement. The same way straight people don't need a straight pride and white people don't need a white pride.

All I see is a bunch of whiney babies.
Maybe they should put gender rights nutters in labour camps for a month before giving them their rights back and they can learn to appreciate what they have now compared to 100 years ago.

Not that equal child custody nor easy to generalise men as paedophiles or other villains is something we should take lightly.
Reply 14
Sorry, how are they misogynist by advocating for men's rights? While it's true both groups should ideally work together, your claim that the blame lies on MRAs is not true. There are plenty of feminists who are misandrist and would refuse to work with men.

I don't think it would be reasonable to claim that your last statement is true. MRA's are known to be predominately groups that counter feminism, to simplify it further, a movement against the advancement of women's rights. Feminism, with the exception of the odd radical nutjob is a movement for women's rights. There's a difference

Feminists and MRA's are two sides of the same coin

Both are generally made up of angry middle-class White people

Both have a totally unjustified sense of their own victimihood

Both tend to over-intellectualise their total non-movements

Both concern themselves too much with changing the world to suit their own (unrealistic) ideal, as opposed to accepting how the world actually is and concerning themselves with managing their own place it in

Both tend to really love going to meetings and belonging to groups

and both need to shut the **** up
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 4.2.0
I don't think it would be reasonable to claim that your last statement is true. MRA's are known to be predominately groups that counter feminism, to simplify it further, a movement against the advancement of women's rights. Feminism, with the exception of the odd radical nutjob is a movement for women's rights. There's a difference

If you can provide evidence to back that up I'll believe you, but as far as I'm aware MRAs are fighting issues such as how men are blatantly discriminated for child custody, MGM, harsher prison sentences compared to women etc.
Reply 17
If you can provide evidence to back that up I'll believe you, but as far as I'm aware MRAs are fighting issues such as how men are blatantly discriminated for child custody, MGM, harsher prison sentences compared to women etc.

If you look at some of the cited works and essays under the Wikipedia page (shocking I know:eek:) for Men's Rights Activists, you'll see that the movement from the start has always been a counter-feminist one. Today, MRA groups' aims actually mirror those of the large majority of feminist ones, such as the ones you mentioned (if you want me to explain how this is the case then do let me know!).

The problem is they feel that the acquisition of women's rights in some areas will lead to the loss of men's rights in others which is not the case. The whole us and them mentality comes from both sides being far too easily drawn in by the more radical groups, and they spend more time beating each other up rather than pursuing the ultimate aim is achieving both legal, economic and social equality.
Original post by Algorithm69
Can you provide evidence that the speakers scheduled to attend the event hold misogynistic views? Can you provide reasoning as to why death threats, threats of violence, and attempts to silence opponents are legitimate forms discourse?

I did clearly say "that doesn't justify it" so I don't think death threats are a legitimate protest.

And will do when I'm not on my phone.
Original post by PC2852
Men don't need a men's rights movement. The same way straight people don't need a straight pride and white people don't need a white pride.

All I see is a bunch of whiney babies.

As someone in all three groups, I disagree. I don't see any real significant disadvantage to being straight and white in this country, but as a man I'm less likely to get custody of my children, more likely to die younger, more likely to commit suicide, more likely to be addicted to alcohol/drugs, likely to get a longer sentance for an equivalent crime, more likely to die at work, more likely to be assaulted, less likely to get a university degree.

If issues like health, crime, family and education aren't important, what is?

But I think feminism is important too, from reading this group's page they seem to be largely anti-feminist, rather than focusing on supporting what I would consider the relevant goals of men's rights. Anyone who is more concerned with "rape hysteria" than actual rape has seriously ****ed up priorities in my opinion. It's hardly suprising with language like that they've pissed people off.

Is anyone aware of any groups that promote both masculist and feminist causes? It seems hard to set up a group for either without attacting sexists, which is guess makes sense in a sad way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending