The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Current Warwick first-year, ask me anything. :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zardoz
With the 30-day accommodation, do you need to move Everything out of the room when you leave, or can you leave some stuff behind. Not too sure and I've put JM as 1st choice, doesn't bother me but if my parents have to drive every time it may annoy them :tongue:

Always stay on good terms with your parents :colone:

But yes, you will have to move everything out for the 30-week accommodation :yep: . There's a small, lockable cupboard in your room which can fit your kitchen stuff and some bedding, but you can't leave everything behind. There are storage companies around, but they can be pricey, or try and become friends with those in a 39-week accommodation so you can bung your stuff in there :h:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hi,

Do you know how course selection works? Ie. Do we get to pick lecture times? It sounds like schedules are just assigned to people and then you can change the course time after? And how many hrs of class are there on average?

I'll be doing 2nd/3rd year business courses most likely.

Original post by Zardoz
With the 30-day accommodation, do you need to move Everything out of the room when you leave, or can you leave some stuff behind. Not too sure and I've put JM as 1st choice, doesn't bother me but if my parents have to drive every time it may annoy them :tongue:

There's a lockable cupboard (but you'll need a padlock - Wilkos sell ones that fit) that you can get a lot of stuff in.
Reply 63
Original post by lilballer12
Hi,

Do you know how course selection works? Ie. Do we get to pick lecture times? It sounds like schedules are just assigned to people and then you can change the course time after? And how many hrs of class are there on average?

I'll be doing 2nd/3rd year business courses most likely.

Hi there,

No you do not get to pick lecture or seminar times. They will be assigned to you and you have to attend the ones you are given unless you have an urgent reason why not i.e: medical reasons, transport issues etc. There are only so many people allowed in each class and if you were allowed to choose, obviously most people would avoid, say, the 9am lecture. So no one turns up to that, but 50 turn up to the 12... so this is why that is done like that.

Hours of lesson time is really dependent on course. My course barely has any contact time to others, so unfortunately I am unsure about how many contact hours business might have. Sorry! :biggrin:

Hope I helped though!
Reply 64
Im confusing about the social science course of Warwick IFP…plz help…

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
I just finished a year studying Politics with International Studies at Warwick and would be happy to answer any questions. Also, I stayed in Westwood.
Reply 66
I've just finished first year biology/life science, and stayed in Westwood, so I'd be able to help too.
Reply 67
Original post by smjwell
I just finished a year studying Politics with International Studies at Warwick and would be happy to answer any questions. Also, I stayed in Westwood.

Well,where are u from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by Top-tao
Well,where are u from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure what exactly you mean by this? Or why its relevant?
Original post by smjwell

And he didn't mind?
Reply 70
Original post by smjwell
Not sure what exactly you mean by this? Or why its relevant?

I just mean that are u local or whats ur country?Maybe we could make friends…

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by smjwell

Hi, I'll be doing PAIS this year as well :smile: What are the contact hours/workload/etc. like?
Reply 72
Original post by Zherry
Hi, I'll be doing PAIS this year as well :smile: What are the contact hours/workload/etc. like?

Contact hours are so little at only 7 hours. There are three modules: Introduction to Politics (IP), World Politics (WP) and Political Research in the 21st Century (PR21). There is one seminar a week for each module. For PR21 there is one lecture a week. In term one, there was two WP lectures and just one IP lecture, but then in term 1, there was two IP lectures and one WP lecture. Sorry if that's confusing!

You can chose an optional module either from PAIS or an external department, which would bring your contact hours up. If you pick a PAIS module, you will have two more contact hours from one seminar and one lecture per week. Optional modules are completed in one term and are assessed by one essay at the end of the term.

PR21 is 100% coursework, or assessed essays as they call them. You have one a term of these. IP and WP are 100% exams, however in terms 1 and 2, you have to do an essay of each which are non-assessed and then in term 3 you have the exams for each. Apart from essays, there is no other work to do except reading. For each topic, there is a reading list and a set of questions to be discussed in the seminar. Nothing formal, but it is worth doing the reading so you can join in on discussion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by smjwell
Contact hours are so little at only 7 hours. There are three modules: Introduction to Politics (IP), World Politics (WP) and Political Research in the 21st Century (PR21). There is one seminar a week for each module. For PR21 there is one lecture a week. In term one, there was two WP lectures and just one IP lecture, but then in term 1, there was two IP lectures and one WP lecture. Sorry if that's confusing!

You can chose an optional module either from PAIS or an external department, which would bring your contact hours up. If you pick a PAIS module, you will have two more contact hours from one seminar and one lecture per week. Optional modules are completed in one term and are assessed by one essay at the end of the term.

PR21 is 100% coursework, or assessed essays as they call them. You have one a term of these. IP and WP are 100% exams, however in terms 1 and 2, you have to do an essay of each which are non-assessed and then in term 3 you have the exams for each. Apart from essays, there is no other work to do except reading. For each topic, there is a reading list and a set of questions to be discussed in the seminar. Nothing formal, but it is worth doing the reading so you can join in on discussion.

That was really helpful and not confusing at all - thank you so much! Just a couple more questions - could I do a language in place of an optional module? If I were to choose an optional module from PAIS, does that mean I only have to do one term of it? What optional module did you do?

As for the readings, would I need to purchase books or are they all available in the library?

Thanks so much again and sorry for the spam of questions! x
Reply 74
Original post by Zherry
That was really helpful and not confusing at all - thank you so much! Just a couple more questions - could I do a language in place of an optional module? If I were to choose an optional module from PAIS, does that mean I only have to do one term of it? What optional module did you do?

As for the readings, would I need to purchase books or are they all available in the library?

Thanks so much again and sorry for the spam of questions! x

Yeah it would mean you would only have to do one month of it. I did Spanish. I would recommend if you're doing a language, to do it for all terms though.

I would say don't buy any books. The core books are available in the library anyway. I bought them and I regretted it as they were so expensive and I barely used them.
Opinions on the university itself? I've seen in a few places people tend to feel the university doesn't really care about the students that much.

Is there a catered accommodation option?

Particularly for whoever is doing PAIS, what opportunities do you have to study abroad/work placements?

I was thinking of applying for EPAIS (for 2015) but I'm not sure how risky it would be. Any thoughts on that course would be welcome too.
Reply 76
Original post by NikolaT
Opinions on the university itself? I've seen in a few places people tend to feel the university doesn't really care about the students that much.

Is there a catered accommodation option?

Particularly for whoever is doing PAIS, what opportunities do you have to study abroad/work placements?

I was thinking of applying for EPAIS (for 2015) but I'm not sure how risky it would be. Any thoughts on that course would be welcome too.

Warwick holds a lot of conferences and many people feel they prioritise the conference goers above its students. Additionally I think people feel that some departments and courses get more attention. This didn't really bother me tbh, however I personally haven't enjoyed my time at Warwick. I studied politics which turns out was the wrong course for me. On top of not enjoying the content, I hated how the course was structured. I also didn't like the Warwick bubble. It turns out a big city is where I'd rather be, but that's entirely my fault for not doing proper research.

All accommodation at Warwick is self-catered.

Within the PAIS department itself there are opportunities to study abroad. You can go North America, Canada, Tokyo, Australia and Hong Kong. I don't really know too much about them, but I do know that they are extremely competitive. There is also the ERASMUS scheme which covers a few countries in Europe which again is really competitive. I was planning on applying to go to Barcelona and there were only 3 places available for PAIS students. In terms of work placements, I really don't know too much as it's something I haven't really looked into. I do remember getting emailed quite often about internship opportunities.
What are the best A-levels to choose and minimum requirements?
Original post by smjwell
Warwick holds a lot of conferences and many people feel they prioritise the conference goers above its students. Additionally I think people feel that some departments and courses get more attention. This didn't really bother me tbh, however I personally haven't enjoyed my time at Warwick. I studied politics which turns out was the wrong course for me. On top of not enjoying the content, I hated how the course was structured. I also didn't like the Warwick bubble. It turns out a big city is where I'd rather be, but that's entirely my fault for not doing proper research.

All accommodation at Warwick is self-catered.

Within the PAIS department itself there are opportunities to study abroad. You can go North America, Canada, Tokyo, Australia and Hong Kong. I don't really know too much about them, but I do know that they are extremely competitive. There is also the ERASMUS scheme which covers a few countries in Europe which again is really competitive. I was planning on applying to go to Barcelona and there were only 3 places available for PAIS students. In terms of work placements, I really don't know too much as it's something I haven't really looked into. I do remember getting emailed quite often about internship opportunities.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

It's a shame, Warwick seems to be good in the rankings but a sense of community and student satisfaction and that sorta thing in general are pretty important to me.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy your time there. Have you managed to switch to something more of your liking?
Reply 79
Original post by NikolaT
Thanks a lot for your reply.

It's a shame, Warwick seems to be good in the rankings but a sense of community and student satisfaction and that sorta thing in general are pretty important to me.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy your time there. Have you managed to switch to something more of your liking?

Your welcome! I would just recommend visiting first and staying as long as you can to get a real feel for the place. Don't go on an open day, just a normal day to see what its really like. Whilst your there just strike up a conversation with some people and they will most likely tell you their honest opinion of the place. I know plenty of people that love and enjoy Warwick, so it is just personal preference really.

Yeah, I will be studying Geography at Sheffield.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending