Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm going to be attending Catz this October to read Engineering.

I was just wondering if anyone on TSR goes to Catz.

ReputationRep:
    There's already a Catz thread on here somewhere, though you might need to hunt for it. Anyway, in response to your question, yes I'll be starting this October, studying Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Me too!

It's weird to think that i might finally get there, after over a year...

ReputationRep:
    It's strange to think it'll be us sitting chatting with interviewees this December.

ReputationRep:
    i'm coming too. do you know what type of room you're going to put down for? i'm not sure which one to pick.

ReputationRep:
    Well, at my interview I was sleeping in one of the little old rooms with a shared bathroom. It was fairly shabby, quite badly lit and generally not that great so I've asked my parents to put down for one with ensuite - I think those are the newer ones. (I'm travelling atm so I'm relying on them to fill in all the forms etc)

ReputationRep:
    Where would the new rooms be? I am slightly catious about puting it down as it might turn out to be something like a newly refurbished building on the other side of cambridge. Anyone seen them???

ReputationRep:
    hello all! I am a catz student (engineer) going into my third year in october, so if anyone has any questions about the college I'd be happy to help (or about engineering)

for rooms did you just get "small, medium, large, ensuite" as your choices or is there more detail on the form this year? If that's all you got then I'm afraid you won't have much say over how old/new your room is, there are both old and refurbished rooms in every one of those categories...

ensuite rooms were particularly popular with the third year (my year) this year - I've got a lovely big one in Bull, so if you go for ensuite it's likely to be either a small but lovely and modern one in Bull (the big ones have all gone to third years), a medium sized not-too-old one in E-block, or a medium sized slightly skanky-looking one in Gostlin (dont panic, they're still livable, and with a bit of decoration can be fairly nice... also are the only ensuite rooms with bathtubs)

same goes with the shared bathroom rooms, there are both old and new ones in every size.

as for living miles away, there is absolutely nothing to worry about! all first year rooms are on the island site.

anyway, that's probably a bit too much ramble for now... but any other questions you have, feel free to ask away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozymandias)
    Well, at my interview I was sleeping in one of the little old rooms with a shared bathroom. It was fairly shabby, quite badly lit and generally not that great so I've asked my parents to put down for one with ensuite - I think those are the newer ones. (I'm travelling atm so I'm relying on them to fill in all the forms etc)
    P.S. in your interview they'll put you in a room nobody else wants at the time (some students stay over the hols, and they use all of the nice rooms for conferences) - hence why such a bad one!

ReputationRep:
    i stayed in the new ones at interview - the were pretty nice (infact it must have been Gostlin, given that it had a bath) compared to eery other bit of uni accomadation i've seen. I'm not sure i can justify the riduculous extra cost it adds upto over a year to have an ensuite though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    i stayed in the new ones at interview - the were pretty nice (infact it must have been Gostlin, given that it had a bath) compared to eery other bit of uni accomadation i've seen. I'm not sure i can justify the riduculous extra cost it adds upto over a year to have an ensuite though.
    afraid in second year everyone lives in chads and it's expensive - no choice of price (they're all the same) but if you're on a budget then you can certainly save money with a small room in first year.

having said that, I ticked "medium" and got an ENORMOUS room in first year, but because it wasn't ensuite I paid far less than a lot of my friends for it.

ReputationRep:
    figgetyfig - Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brik)
    figgetyfig - Thanks for your help
    you're welcome... who are everyone's college parents?

ReputationRep:
    When do we find out?

ReputationRep:
    you don't know already? In the next couple of weeks maybe... I don't know, it's a new system so the first year reps might not have finished sorting them out quite yet...

ReputationRep:
    A friend from Catz tells me she hasn't given birth yet.

ReputationRep:
    how is it a new system? - i thought they'd always had them... or are they just changing the way it's done - infact, how is it done, do we have a subject person and a non-subject person or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    how is it a new system? - i thought they'd always had them... or are they just changing the way it's done - infact, how is it done, do we have a subject person and a non-subject person or what?
    Last year we had a nanny system, where each second-year was assigned a first-year nanette in the same subject. This year we've got a parenting system, where each first-year has two second- or third-year parents. I think at least one parent will be from the same subject as the first-year. We still haven't found out who are newborn children are. I'm not sure why - perhaps the summer pool is still on.

ReputationRep:
    So the nanny system has been scrapped then? I think it makes more sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swntzu)
    So the nanny system has been scrapped then? I think it makes more sense.
    Yes, quite, this new system could be a bit crap. At least last year *everyone* was involved, with quite amusing results (...anyone remember a certain bloke 'dumping' his nannette on the first day for being too strange? haha)

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.