The Student Room Group

Moving to the USA with a UK law degree

Hello,
This is going to sound very odd and as if i'm not even thinking about this but I feel that I need to get early knowledge.
I haven't even started sixth form yet but once I have finished i'm hoping to do law, after all it will only be a year or so before I need to start applying to university.
I have researched and looked at almost every website, but every single website tells me different.
I have always wanted to move to America, it would be a dream of mine.
Is it impossible to move to the USA with a UK law degree?
Would it be easier to study in the USA? But I am worried about the costs of the university and living, I would obviously contribute myself but I would feel guilty asking my parents for help.
Am i just setting myself up for failure?
Thank you.
Original post by Lauren-Jade-Ariz
Hello,
This is going to sound very odd and as if i'm not even thinking about this but I feel that I need to get early knowledge.
I haven't even started sixth form yet but once I have finished i'm hoping to do law, after all it will only be a year or so before I need to start applying to university.
I have researched and looked at almost every website, but every single website tells me different.
Would it be easier to study in the USA? But I am worried about the costs of the university and living, I would obviously contribute myself but I would feel guilty asking my parents for help.
Am i just setting myself up for failure?
Thank you.

If you studied in the US you'd have to do a degree (which is a lot different to the UK style of degree's), and you then have to go to Law School, to go to law school you have to sit an exam called the LSAT. It's more expensive to study in the USA as there aren't many scholarships etc for international students - which is what you'll be.

It's 'cheaper' to study in the UK, then do something like the New York Bar Exam, which enables you to practice in New York.
Bear in mind that to move to the US you'll need to sort out Visas etc. - you can't just move. And as Knalchemist said, law is essentially a postgraduate option in the US, unlike the UK, and there's the LSAT to study for, though you could always do a course in the UK with two years abroad in the USA.

X

Hello :smile:

My sister did a law degree here in the UK, followed by masters and now she's in her final year PhD. She also wants to do what you want - like eventually practice in america

So she applied for the NY bar exam like mentioned above :smile: she failed it last Feb but she's gonna retake it this summer

I think you should just continue here since it's gonna be much cheaper and then take that step afterwords :smile:

And lol no you're not setting yourself up for failure or whatever :wink: it's good that you're giving this an early thought and taking the correct step of asking before making your move :smile:
Yes, it is absolutely possible for you to practice in the UK after originally studying in the UK. You would take the state bar exam for the state where you wanted to practice - I have friends who have taken either the New York Bar and the California Bar and are now practising there.

For the moment:

1. Study hard and get the very best results you can, so you can get into the best (UK) uni you can.
2. Do your law degree and get at least a 2:1.
3. Go to law school and do the LPC
4. Do your two year training contract and qualify. (NB your chances of reaching this point are seriously impacted by how well you do 1 and 2).
Reply 5

heya Lauren.
thats such a cool move tbh.

I'm not sure if you're aware but the legal fraternity in UK is in great decline.
there's just too many law graduates and very little training contracts.
the salaries are peanuts for junior trainee legal professionals in the UK.

the world doesn't just revolve around UK you know.
You're better off heading to US or the far-east.
you'll receive great salaries and great expat packages.

of course the people here will tell you otherwise.
this could be because they're too comfortable in their current surroundings.
or they're too proud to accept the real facts.
or as always it could down to some weird warped reason that they'll pass off as something from a higher order.
remember what George Mikes once said?
'Continental people have sex lives, the English have hot water bottles'.

you're on the wrong forum to be asking about the transition to USA.
do your own research. you'll find out the truth anyways.
good luck hunz.
Hi, what did your sister get her masters and PhD in please?
Hey I’m currently studying bachelors in law in the uk and I’m hoping to also move. So, reading what you’re saying, I can qualify as a lawyer until the uk after taking my masters and then apply for the bar exam in New York? I’ve heard that the bachelors in law doesn’t accredit to take on the bar exam, so does that mean I need to do anything else in order to practise law in the USA? I’m very confused and don’t want to do an additional degree in the US.
Reply 8
Hey, relax. BPP university does a preparation course to take the New York Bar. If you go on their website you will see all the information. The LPC os only necessary if you do a non law degree, then your GDL then the LPC then you're eligible to do the New York Bar. However, if you're doing your LLB then that is enough. the information is also on the New York Bar website about degrees from an overseas university.If you do not do the course with BPP you can purchase other online material to help you prepare. The application to the Newyork Bar must be submitted six months before. Im sending mine in this October.
Reply 9
In lots of states you don't have to go to law school, but have to take the bar exam for that specific state with a specific amount of supervised hours. ( Like Kim Kardashian in California.) Those bar exams are extremely hard to pass and most don't on their first try, but as long as you pass the bar exam for that state you can practice law.
This is a 5 year old thread.
Lol I wonder where the girl is at now if she ended up studying in America

Latest