Messed up wider reading on AQA A2 English Lit exam - need advice!

Watch
sarah-c
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Yesterday (June 6th) I took the AQA A2 unit A English Literature examination on Love through the Ages and made a massive mistake with my wider reading!
The first question required wider reading in poetry which I included, but the second question required wider reading in drama and prose. After the exam I realised I hadn't included any wider reading in drama at all (I just included prose and poetry), I don't even know why I didn't include any I seriously panicked and had a bit of a meltdown!
Does anyone know if this will seriously affect my grade or if I can't get above a certain mark for not including all three genres of wider reading? I'm really panicking as I need an A overall in the subject to get into university. I have a high A at AS level and a high A in my coursework - any advice as to how my mark will be affected? Apart from that I thought I did okay :-(
Thankyou!
Stony Owner
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Relax, you can't change it now and you don't know the grade until you get there. Maybe you screwed it up, maybe you didn't. Focus on the present and the future, not the past. Easier said than done? Of course. But if you can learn to cultivate this quality in the long run, of being present and future orientated, then it will really serve you. See if you can work on this over the next few weeks or months, it will be really beneficial.

This answer will probably seem really unsatisfactory because you want CERTAINTY that you have done well. Sorry, but there IS no certainty here...you won't know until results day in August, so there's no point being in a state of panic for two months.
Laura1996
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did exactly the same thing and I also need an A. I meant to include othello but ran out of time annoyingly and didn't get to put it in. I have to say I don't think it will effect your marks too badly as wider reading is only 10 marks and if you've put good links to novels you'll get at least 5/10 I'm sure. That's not very many marks to lose in the scheme of things and I'm sure if your question 1 was good and your question 2 analysis and context etc was strong it won't effect your marks that much at all. Plus your coursework and your high A from last year will pull you up so I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine to get an A. Hope this helps I had the same breakdown after the exam as well! Don't worry

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not going to sugar coat it... but the examiners say each year in and year out in their reports and it is clear in the instructions that students "should to refer to a minimum of one wider reading in each of the genre". Now because Question 1 was two poems your WR would only be in poetry. Question 2 was drama and prose, therefore you should have really spoken more about prose and drama with maybe one link to poetry.

I don't know if you have lost marks or not. But it would depend on how man links you made for your prose and poetry. If you mentioned about 2/3 for each genre and went into huge amount of detail relating it to FSL and proposals then you should be okay only losing out on a couple of marks (nothing major to change bands) so don't worry. However if you briefly linked your WR to your points and it was about 2/3 wider reading that was only prose and poetry you might lose quite a few marks. The reason why I say this is because I did a mock the day before the exam and I mentioned 2 wider reading and I just managed to scrap a B for the question because I hadn't spoke about it in enough depth and it was only 2 wider reading. (However I also didn't talk about AO4) so if you did speak a lot on how your WR quotes linked back to FSL, and compared it well to how it shapes meaning with your extracts and spoke quite a bit on context, then you will be fine.

I doubt you would drop a grade from not mentioning drama. A few marks that's it but if you're writing at an A grade standard for example, they will probably award you a mid/high B because you mis-read the question so it's kind of like only addressing half the question as it did say (in bold) to use WR in "drama and prose". In fact it didn't say poetry at all.... But it won't seriously affect you as long as you did of the above!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise