Passmark! Watch

red_alert
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
What is the passmark for the MA programs in the War Studies department?

Thanks
Jammertal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
"Newcomers to British universities are sometimes confused by the marking system employed here.
Essays are marked out of 100. Marks of 70% and above earn a Distinction. For the MA a mark
below 50% is considered a failure. A mark of 60% or above is considered to be a Merit."

From this page . Thanks for the rep.
red_alert
So 51% is what I need to get?

Thanks.

As for the rep, no problem. I am still coming to terms with how this whole forum works.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think so. You're welcome and I did only find out about rep after 4 months...
red_alert
I am scared of failing. I mean each module has exams at 50% weighting. I am questioning this whole thing.

Plus, London seems very dangerous.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by red_alert)
I am scared of failing. I mean each module has exams at 50% weighting. I am questioning this whole thing.

Plus, London seems very dangerous.
On the other hand: there aren't many people who fail. Chances are low that you'll be one of them.

You see, I have the same feelings and made up a logic that explains that it is completely irrational to think that you'll fail.

It's true that London will require a lot of discipline though.
red_alert
Can you explian this logic. I am not great at exams, I have gotten by on strong assignments up until now. But I am not confident of such good work at the MA level.

If I fail, it would be (a) a waste of another year. (b) a colossal waste of my father's money. (C) I would be devestated.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ad a: I'm not sure if you can call a year in London "wasted": Even if you don't finish with a degree (unlikely), you'll get other things from it.

ad b: True.

ad c: see a. You should always bear the "social" factors/ soft skills you'll gain from it in mind.
red_alert
Without the degree, it means nothing.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmm, that puts you under a lot of pressure. Hope you can cope.
red_alert
Thats the worry. 50% exam...argh!
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmm, but it certainly isn't helpful if you start worrying about it now. Is it because you're suffering from a serious form of "exam nerves" (not sure if that's the right word)? In that case you may be eligible for special arrangements.
red_alert
Its not nerves, its simple fear of failure. I guess I should be positive. I mean if worse comes to worse, I can buy my dissertation to boost my grades.
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To fail a social science course would show a complete lack of understanding of any of the concepts and topics covered by the course, wouldn't it...?
red_alert
I'm trying to find out the passmark for the MA, the marking criteria, the exam percentage ect, so that I can realistically see what I can/should get.

I'm just playing the percentages.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dazmanultra)
To fail a social science course would show a complete lack of understanding of any of the concepts and topics covered by the course, wouldn't it...?
That seems to be the general opinion, yes, and I guess that it is true.

To fail an undergrad course in an Humanities subject you have to meet the foolowing criteria:
- unsystemativ, incomplete and/ or inaccurate
- understanding: key issues not identified, poor analysis or none
- selection and coverage: some inaccuracies or omnissions in data, inappropriate material
- structure: argument sketchy, loose ends, disorganised
- general: some knowledge but poorly presented/ answered only in part and flawed/ deeply flawed or unacceptably brief/ irrelevant or unintelligible

You only need 40% to pass though.
red_alert
That is well and good for the undergrad courses, my concern is with postgrad study. I cannot afford to fail, for my sense of self worth.
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by red_alert)
That is well and good for the undergrad courses, my concern is with postgrad study. I cannot afford to fail, for my sense of self worth.
What does your tutor think about your prospects with regards to post-graduate study?
red_alert
The department was recommended to me for graduate study. My references were ringing endorsements of my suitability for the course. Any doubt exists soley within myself.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Perhaps you should talk again to your tutor then, explain your doubts and ask him to give you his candid opinion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Health & Life Sciences - Guy's Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 6 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.75%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise