The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"Newcomers to British universities are sometimes confused by the marking system employed here.
Essays are marked out of 100. Marks of 70% and above earn a Distinction. For the MA a mark
below 50% is considered a failure. A mark of 60% or above is considered to be a Merit."

From this page . Thanks for the rep. :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
So 51% is what I need to get?

Thanks.

As for the rep, no problem. I am still coming to terms with how this whole forum works.
Reply 3
I think so. :smile: You're welcome and I did only find out about rep after 4 months...
Reply 4
I am scared of failing. I mean each module has exams at 50% weighting. I am questioning this whole thing.

Plus, London seems very dangerous.
Reply 5
red_alert
I am scared of failing. I mean each module has exams at 50% weighting. I am questioning this whole thing.

Plus, London seems very dangerous.

On the other hand: there aren't many people who fail. Chances are low that you'll be one of them. :smile:

You see, I have the same feelings and made up a logic that explains that it is completely irrational to think that you'll fail. :biggrin:

It's true that London will require a lot of discipline though.
Reply 6
Can you explian this logic. I am not great at exams, I have gotten by on strong assignments up until now. But I am not confident of such good work at the MA level.

If I fail, it would be (a) a waste of another year. (b) a colossal waste of my father's money. (C) I would be devestated.
Reply 7
ad a: I'm not sure if you can call a year in London "wasted": Even if you don't finish with a degree (unlikely), you'll get other things from it.

ad b: True.

ad c: see a. You should always bear the "social" factors/ soft skills you'll gain from it in mind. :smile:
Reply 8
Without the degree, it means nothing.
Reply 9
Hmm, that puts you under a lot of pressure. Hope you can cope. :smile:
Reply 10
Thats the worry. 50% exam...argh!
Reply 11
Hmm, but it certainly isn't helpful if you start worrying about it now. Is it because you're suffering from a serious form of "exam nerves" (not sure if that's the right word)? In that case you may be eligible for special arrangements.
Reply 12
Its not nerves, its simple fear of failure. I guess I should be positive. I mean if worse comes to worse, I can buy my dissertation to boost my grades. :biggrin:
To fail a social science course would show a complete lack of understanding of any of the concepts and topics covered by the course, wouldn't it...?
Reply 14
I'm trying to find out the passmark for the MA, the marking criteria, the exam percentage ect, so that I can realistically see what I can/should get.

I'm just playing the percentages.
Reply 15
dazmanultra
To fail a social science course would show a complete lack of understanding of any of the concepts and topics covered by the course, wouldn't it...?

That seems to be the general opinion, yes, and I guess that it is true.

To fail an undergrad course in an Humanities subject you have to meet the foolowing criteria:
- unsystemativ, incomplete and/ or inaccurate
- understanding: key issues not identified, poor analysis or none
- selection and coverage: some inaccuracies or omnissions in data, inappropriate material
- structure: argument sketchy, loose ends, disorganised
- general: some knowledge but poorly presented/ answered only in part and flawed/ deeply flawed or unacceptably brief/ irrelevant or unintelligible

You only need 40% to pass though.
Reply 16
That is well and good for the undergrad courses, my concern is with postgrad study. I cannot afford to fail, for my sense of self worth.
red_alert
That is well and good for the undergrad courses, my concern is with postgrad study. I cannot afford to fail, for my sense of self worth.

What does your tutor think about your prospects with regards to post-graduate study?
Reply 18
The department was recommended to me for graduate study. My references were ringing endorsements of my suitability for the course. Any doubt exists soley within myself.
Reply 19
Perhaps you should talk again to your tutor then, explain your doubts and ask him to give you his candid opinion.

Latest