amelimoo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm picking my Alevel choices and at my school you need an APS of 50+ to take 4 Alevels, my predicted GCSE grades are;
- Maths: B/A
- English Language: C
- English Literature: A/A*
- Core Science: A
- Additional Science: B/A
- Geography: B
- Product Design: A/A*
- Health and Social Care: B/A/A*
- RS: B/A
- Media Studies: B
Plus
- ASDAN Employability Award
- ASDAN PSHE/PSD Certificate
- Junior Sports Leader Award
This gives me an APS of 49.9, I've been advised by my school to only take 3 Alevels plus EPQ.

My question is should I take 3 Alevels and EPQ like they suggested or do 4??

i want to take English Literature, Biology, Chemistry and Geography.
Alarae
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How strange. In my sixth form we were instructed to take four A Levels, then we can drop one if it was too much.

Why not take that approach?

Posted from TSR Mobile
amelimoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alarae)
How strange. In my sixth form we were instructed to take four A Levels, then we can drop one if it was too much.

Why not take that approach?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I go to an underachieving school and I guess they can increase their pass rates if they only let us take 3. Although if I wanted to do drama, art, PE or something like that they would let me no questions asked. They said the workload wouldn't be manageable and I would struggle to get good grades in all 4. What do you think I should do?
infinitytheory
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do 4 and drop whatever one you don't like/do as well in. If they're subjects you enjoy and are good at then you should have no problem in doing 4
BlackLipBastard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In my school it was compulsory for everyone to do 4 A levels + they also had to do the EPQ. So I think you'd put yourself at a disadvantage by only doing 3
amelimoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by infinitytheory)
Do 4 and drop whatever one you don't like/do as well in. If they're subjects you enjoy and are good at then you should have no problem in doing 4 :)
Okay Thank You!! Also should I take human biology instead of biology to make it more manageable or should I stick with biology?
infinitytheory
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by amelimoo)
Okay Thank You!! Also should I take human biology instead of biology to make it more manageable or should I stick with biology?
I take human biology, and it's a little harder than normal biology...at least that's what we think and it's also what the normal biology students have said when they look at our exams
Do normal biology if you want a larger range of knowledge- you'll have more to revise for the exams, but it's not in as much detail. Do human biology if you want detailed specific knowledge, so there will still be a l.ot to learn, just not as much as normal biology, but the stuff we do have to know is very detailed.

It also depends on what you want to do at uni - do normal biology to keep your options open, but if you like the idea of studying human biology at uni, obviously take human biology :P
amelimoo
Rep:
?
I take human biology, and it's a little harder than normal biology...at least that's what we think and it's also what the normal biology students have said when they look at our exams
Do normal biology if you want a larger range of knowledge- you'll have more to revise for the exams, but it's not in as much detail. Do human biology if you want detailed specific knowledge, so there will still be a l.ot to learn, just not as much as normal biology, but the stuff we do have to know is very detailed.

It also depends on what you want to do at uni - do normal biology to keep your options open, but if you like the idea of studying human biology at uni, obviously take human biology :P
Ahh okay I'll think it through thank you so much!!
infinitytheory
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ahh okay I'll think it through thank you so much!!
No problem
amelimoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlackLip*******)
In my school it was compulsory for everyone to do 4 A levels + they also had to do the EPQ. So I think you'd put yourself at a disadvantage by only doing 3
Ahh I see. My school say there's no point doing more than 3 unless you want to go to Oxbridge because uni's only make offers on 3, and they said it's better to get A*AA than AAAB. I'm so confused haha!
infinitytheory
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ahh I see. My school say there's no point doing more than 3 unless you want to go to Oxbridge because uni's only make offers on 3, and they said it's better to get A*AA than AAAB. I'm so confused haha!
I think they mean take 4 As levels, and when you go into year 13 you drop one, so only take 3 A2 levels
amelimoo
Rep:
?
I think they mean take 4 As levels, and when you go into year 13 you drop one, so only take 3 A2 levels
No I thought the same as you but when I asked them they said no so hmm I might just convince the subject teachers, the head of sixth and my tutor and then the sixth form receptionist lady can't stop me taking 4 AS. Thanks anyway though
FalseNine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you should definitely do 4, like others have said it would be putting you at a disadvantage by not doing a 4th. If you find you're struggling to cope with the workload within the first few weeks then you should be fine to drop the subject you least enjoy/having the least success in.

The fact you are 0.1 points away from their 50+ APS boundary makes me question their advice as it is evident you were very close to meeting the requirements and would be most likely to cope with it.
amelimoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by FalseNine)
I think you should definitely do 4, like others have said it would be putting you at a disadvantage by not doing a 4th. If you find you're struggling to cope with the workload within the first few weeks then you should be fine to drop the subject you least enjoy/having the least success in.

The fact you are 0.1 points away from their 50+ APS boundary makes me question their advice as it is evident you were very close to meeting the requirements and would be most likely to cope with it.
Okay thank you
BlackLipBastard
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you have an idea of what you want to study at uni?
amelimoo
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlackLip*******)
Do you have an idea of what you want to study at uni?
I'm not too sure I think something geography/ chemistry related but I want to keep my options open!
Niamhmca
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing my AS exams right now and I do English lit, biology and chemistry and even though they're hard work I enjoy them. I also do maths and I think you should do 4 because if you do three then you don't really have a choice to drop a subject at the end of your AS year, so I think you should do four and if it doesn't work out then at least you can drop one if you want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (260)
33.9%
No (507)
66.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed