The Student Room Group

AQA LAW UNIT 3 - Murder/Voluntary Manslaughter Evaluation

Hello! :smile:
Just writing up some answers to the evaluation questions that I want to learn so I have a pre planned answer for each of the 3 potential questions that could come up.

I believe im right in saying that for a murder/voluntary manslaughter evaluation question requires

PCA - Murder (Criticisms)
PCB - Diminished Responsibility & Loss of Control (Criticisms of each)
PCC - Reforms

That's all fine, my only issue is how many points/paragraphs to write for each of the potential content, there is so much I could write about but bearing in mind ill have about 25 minutes to write it, I need to make sure I don't waffle on too much so want to go into the exam with a pre planned answer.

Just wrote an answer up quickly following this structure:

PARAGRAPH 1 - Murder General Criticism (Outdated language)

PARAGRAPH 2- Murder Criticism of Actus Reus (Reasonable Creature - foetus)

PARAGRAPH 3 - Murder Criticism of Mens Rea (Intention issues)

PARAGRAPH 4 - Murder Reforms (First/Second Degree Murder)

PARAGRAPH 5 - Diminished Responsibility Criticism (Burden of Proof)

PARAGRAPH 6 - Diminished Responsibility Strengths (Reforms C&J Act 09)

PARAGRAPH 7 - Loss of Control Criticism (Sexual Infidelity)

PARAGRAPH 8 - Loss of Control Strengths (C&J Act 09 - Provocation)

I wasn't really given any model answers or help on how to structure this particular question, so I would welcome any constructive advice on how to improve it. Im worried that ive possibly spent too much time discussing murder (3 criticisms - general/actus reus/mens rea) and not enough time criticising loss of control and diminished responsibility (only 1 criticism each - sexual infidelity/burden of proof). The essay takes up almost 4 sides of A4, so I cant really make it any longer, as I wont physically be able to write quick enough. I

f anybody has any sample answers or plans that they wouldn't mind sharing, or just general advice, that would be great... thanks!!!:biggrin:
Reply 1
anyone........?
Reply 2
PCA - Murder (Criticisms)
PCB - Diminished Responsibility OR/AND Loss of Control (Criticisms of each)
PCC - Reforms

Don't necessarily need to to both, however if you do either one or the other then you will need to go into significantly more detail and mention a few more points criticisms.
I think you could probably cut out paragraphs 1 and 2 mostly or even entirely, since 1 is only a minor point and 2 basically comes down to personal feelings and policy rather than an interesting point of law. On top of that I don't think you'd really need to spend much time discussing the strengths of DR/LoC since obviously they've been reformed relatively recently so everybody's fairly aware of what the good bits are - but already being able to pick holes in something that new will get you good points, I'd say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending