The Student Room Group

Biology grade boundries

I have just completed my Biology GCSE (B1, 2, 3 and ISA) but I am not aware of the grade boundaries. I have checked on the AQA website but I can not seem to find anything helpful and I would like to know if anyone can help me out by telling me what the grade boundaries are for an A*.
They haven't even been marked yet...
Do you know how grade boundaries work?
The test was sat yesterday. They need to mark every paper and set boundaries according to the difficulty, performance and they need to make sure that only a certain percentage of candidates get a particular grade. They will be release on or just before the day before results day
I didn't do the exam but I'm pretty sure that the exam was recent and it seems like it was from what others have said so they would not have been marked it yet and grade boundaries would not have been released :smile: The grade boundaries are made based on how everyone did nationally so if they haven't marked the papers they wouldn't have released the grade boundaries :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
There's absolutely no need for people to be condescending, they obviously wouldn't be asking for grade boundaries if they knew 'how they worked'. The grade boundaries are released the night before results day, after all exams have been marked and grade boundaries have been decided :smile:
Reply 6
Thankyou for all the replies. I am already aware that that grade boundaries aren't out yet for 2014 as they are calculated in accorcd to people's results and average national percentage but what I want to know is if anyone knows the grade boundaries in 2013 for an A* out of 230 so that I can estimate what I need for an A*. The boundaries aren't going to move by too many marks anyway. I also wanted to know if you can get an A* if you get an A on one of your papers but get very high (e.g. 50 out of 60) for the rest of your papers. It would be really helpful if anyone can answer these questions as I think I know how many marks I approximately got now after checking the questions posted by some people after the exam.
Reply 7

Thanks a lot

Now I know the boundaries I just want to know one last thing. Do you have to get an A* on all papers for an A* or is it your overall mark e.g. 40/60 (not A *) 50/60 52/60 and 48/50 which adds up to 190 overall
Original post by Llabjani
Thanks a lot

Now I know the boundaries I just want to know one last thing. Do you have to get an A* on all papers for an A* or is it your overall mark e.g. 40/60 (not A *) 50/60 52/60 and 48/50 which adds up to 190 overall

You have to get 360/400 UMS, you don't need an A* on each of your papers.
Reply 9
Original post by Arithmeticae
You have to get 360/400 UMS, you don't need an A* on each of your papers.

Thankyou a lot that was very helpful
Reply 10
Original post by AlphaNick
Each exam is given a raw mark - which has a corresponding UMS mark (out of 100). Since there are four modules for triple science (+ ISA), the GCSE is out of 400. As long as you get 90%, ie 360/400 - you will get an A*.

So you need to average 90/100 UMS in each paper - 90 UMS is an A* on the AQA grade boundary sheet., but the varying grade boundaries makes it a bit more complex.

For example (2013 June), 45/60 on B1 is 90 UMS, 45/60 on B2 is 90 UMS, 36/60 on B3 is 90 UMS, 42/50 on the ISA is 90 UMS. So you get 360/400 UMS for those marks which is an A* boundary. So it's the same principle only with different grade boundaries.

Thankyou very much
Any predictions for the A* boundaries for B1, B2 and B3? and the mark needed for 100 UMS? I screwed up my ISA and got 33 (67 UMS) which is a C. I need to get about 97-8 UMS on all three papers to get an overall A*. I am hoping that I have done well :frown:
Original post by AlphaNick
These are my predictions:
B1: 48-52
B2: 44-47
B3: 43-46

if you read my predictions elsewhere they are constantly changing

Those are pretty high man :eek:. The boundaries last year were 45, 45 and 36, so I would guess at 43, 42 and 39.
Reply 13
I doubt they're that high as they won't change that drastically. I would imagine that B2 will drop, B3 will increase and B1 will be about the same.

Quick Reply

Latest