How much for a new car ? Watch

sireesh
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Well i will be joining uni this september. I am an international student. I have been driving since i was 18. I'm 21 now but never have driven in the UK. I have an international driving permit which expires in about a year's time.

How much would it cost me to get myself a car ??
I dont want anything fancy, but just something that gets me from point A to point B.
Any ballpark figures ??
supernova2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
500-1000 for a small oldish car. Its the insurance thats a ******* although youre 21 so it wont be as bad.
mshar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
a 'decent' car would set you back between 600-1500
mshar
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have a peugeot 306 1.6 litre (just passed my test almost 2 weeks ago) with 6 months tax left, OK condition, runs fine apart from the fact that the silencer is gone. R reg metallic blue going for 750 ono.
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
make sure you've set aside enough for running a car (i.e insurance!)!
sireesh
I will be going to Brunel. Is a car that necessary ?
Coz if i get a ride it is just coz i fancy one. I drive a 2000 celica atm and im into cars. I thought you get cars for as cheap as 100 quid. I want to know how much would insurance set me back ?

P.S. Thanks for the quick replies
OBScene
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sireesh)
I will be going to Brunel. Is a car that necessary ?
Coz if i get a ride it is just coz i fancy one. I drive a 2000 celica atm and im into cars. I thought you get cars for as cheap as 100 quid. I want to know how much would insurance set me back ?

P.S. Thanks for the quick replies
You can get a car for £100 - but don't expect it to get you from A to B every day. You can check out the following Top Gear clip for an idea of what £100 buys you: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/broadband/media...le.shtml?pack1
Ryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A new car?

You can get an old car for 250 quid that can be perfectly reliable.

It's knowing what to get.

It's worth spending about 800 on a car though as they won't loose much value and shouldn't have much wrong with them if they are old at that price.

HTH.
sireesh
Im sorry, not new car. Was talking about a used car.
Thanks for the advice and the link. I had seen that a while ago.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah my mate bought a Fiesta for £250, was a great car, the only thing I didn;t like is you got thrown about a bit and it was very basic, but it was the MK3 version so it was fairly save, he had a crash at 30mph and got out with a minor bruise.

If you are going to buy a £250 make sure you know what you're doing, a lot of cars at this end of the market are death traps, but there is also a lot of perfectly good old cars which flood the market hence low prices.
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well...the public transport system in London is very good, and driving in London is a *****. Tbh i would recommend not getting a car, saving your money and spending it on booze and good nights! I really don't think you should get a car in London as the tube is quicker!

Graham
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads