Which is language is my mother tongue?

Watch this thread
BULL14
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I came to the UK when I was one and half years old (I was born in Lahore, Pakistan) I can speak Urdu though I can't read or write it. Whereas in English I can do so, I read books in English and I am in top set in my school. So it comes to conclude 'which language is my native/mother tongue?'

( my parent are both born in Pakistan and are fluent urdu)

I am wondering Because if I want to sit a GCSE/A-level Urdu will it count as my native language?)

Thanks for any replies.....
Wilsoncw1997
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
English.
Pop_tart
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Well sounds like you were brought up bilingual? In that case both would be your mother tongue really, at least speaking wise I guess.

Dutch is my mother tongue but I am not sure how well I would do in a spelling exam now XD
Ronove
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I would tend to say Urdu. If it's the language that was spoken at home while you were a child, then it is almost certainly your mother tongue. Regardless of how well you can read/write it right now, if you do the GCSE/A-level, anyone who knows it was spoken in your house when you were growing up will take a somewhat dim view of the qualifications. Feel free to do them as an extra (extra GCSE or 5th AS-level, for example) but do not rely on it for anything.
Plumstone
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Well, I was brought up with both Swedish and English, and I consider myself fluent in both, but although Swedish was spoken most when I was very little, English is definitely my mother-tongue.

For me it's less about what was spoken when you were a child and more about which language is strongest and comes most naturally. If you think/dream/react in English, then that's what matters.

I don't know what the rules are, though, so as Ronove said, don't rely on it unless you're 100% sure you're in the clear.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (48)
31.17%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (67)
43.51%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (38)
24.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.65%

Watched Threads